AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GT5 thread has brought back lots of memories from other racing games I've enjoyed over the years.

Makes me wonder, What are some of YOUR all-time favorite racing games? (any system's fine)

Me? (in no particular order)

Grid - Just LOVED the crashes and the Rewind feature, but it was just too darned hard!

Midnight Club LA - Really dig that. Light, fun and tons of car customization

Burnout Paradise - Hard to beat for pure fun

Super Monaco GP for Sega Genesis - My first "real" racing game, put MANY hours into that

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not a big racer but...

Road Rash- lots of fun with added violence as well!!

Burnout Paradise - spent lots of time with this one.

and way back when at the arcade- Pole Position

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Not a big fan of racing games, but these are definitely the ones I played most:

1) Midtown Madness for xbox - so much fun

2) Need For Speed for 3d0 - Loved the cheesey cut scenes and the realistic dashes

3) 18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker - Addicted to this at the arcade and on dreamcast. Only arcade game I ever beat.

4) Skitchin - for nastalgia's sake.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Super Mario Kart - still the best game in the series.

Gran Turismo 2 - so far ahead of everything else on PSX

Wave Race 64 - loved how this game controlled mixed with the water effects.

Project Gotham Racing 1 & 4 - PGR2 was awesome as well, but I put the most amount of time into the first and fourth games.

·
Registered
896 Posts
The first Gran Turismo started it all for me. I was enthralled with that game. Project Gotham 3 was great as well, this was the first game I played on my 360 when I bought it. Burnout Revenge was just plain arcade racing fun.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
motorstorm

burnout

·
Registered
707 Posts
I loved Rally Championship Xtreme (PC), although it's nine years old now.

I really liked one of the Codemasters racing games, I think it was TOCA 3 (PC).

Also PGR3 (xbox 360) ... better than PGR4, imho.

I believe the WRC has licensed a new rally game, so I hope it will be fun ... but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Actually, all-time:

Enduro (Atari 2600)

Many, many hours of my childhood that should have been spent outside playing kick the can were wasted on this game. And that goddamn nighttime/fog level. Holy Balls.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19569649

Right now I'm still enjoying Burnout Paradise more than Modnation.

Back in the day, 1987, Test Drive (1) on the Atari ST. The best thing about the game was it used the mouse for steering, which was far better than a joystick in the days before wheels.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLLn7PE_THs

I REMEMBER THAT!!!!!!! I had previously totally forgotten that! It had the cliffside track, and your window would get cracked! That's for reminding me about that one!

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Super Sprint on the NES.

No foolin.

2 player mode, one guy tries to get around the track as fast as possible while the other guy tries to bump the computer controlled cars into the wrong direction at a circle 8 on the track.

We played that for hours back in the day.

-Suntan

·
Registered
368 Posts
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 for the PC.

·
Registered
7,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman7w /forum/post/19569858

I REMEMBER THAT!!!!!!! I had previously totally forgotten that! It had the cliffside track, and your window would get cracked! That's for reminding me about that one!

I had a 1040STfm that I'd load up and take with my monitor to others' houses to play. I spent hours playing that thing. Now you look at it and it seems terrible, but back then it took around a $1000 computer (in 1987 dollars) to play that game.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
For "realistic" (ish) racers, it's no contest for me: Sega Rally, the original (arcade) and Saturn versions. (The later DreamCast version was pretty sweet, but didn't pull me in like the others for some reason).

For "other" racers, Mario Kart DS, the best of the Mario Karts, passing up my previous favorite Mario Kart 64.

Honorable mentions: original WipeOut, FZero X (64), Outrun (Arcade).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Can't forget RC Pro AM for the NES.

Super Sprint the Arcade was nice, at home it wasnt the same withou being able to spin the steering wheel.

in he acrcade I used to love ATB. it wasnt a technically racing game but was still nice

·
Registered
511 Posts
NES Rad Racer with the 3D glasses FTW! j/k.

I prefer arcade style over sims:

PS1 Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, Ridge Racer 4 (R4), and the original Driver

PS2 Burnout Revenge

PS3 Burnout Paradise

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.