AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your current hearing range affect your purchasing decisions in audio equipment?

I'm almost 35 and I can hear all the way to 17,500 Hz just fine, and that's still good because I can still hear those subtle high frequency sounds whenever I listen to music. So currently I still go for the best equipment I can afford for listening pleasure. So I want enjoy what I have until I get old and won't be able to hear anything above 14,000 Hz which will be sad.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It will be more than that. Odds are you will have nulls in other frequencies also.
Left ear will be affected from driving with the window down if you do that.
Also if you ride motorcycles without ear plugs you will wind up with hearing damage.
Same for those that attended a lot of live concerts without ear plugs.

Don't ask me how I know.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Before u brag about ur hearings, check out Rick Beato's (an older musician) video where he has a younger, perfect-pitch assistant to discern different tracks. At the end, he reminds you about well-known producers are into their 50's, and these are the people who are producing what we hear TODAY.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
All this is true, and note that from 10,000 to 20,000 hertz is just one octave, and most people lose all that by some time in middle age.

But it turns out, most instruments and the human voice are well below that. The highest note on a piano is below that, and many other instruments peak out under 1,000hz.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
15.8 khz. I asked my son about the 'mosquito' ring tone,. He was surprsed I even knew what it was. We played around with different tones from the 'realmofexcursion.com' site.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
15 kHz. And no, it doesn't affect my decision because the only things that high are harmonics. And harmonics have a lower amplitude the further they are from the fundamental. The midrange is the most important to me. That's where all the fundamentals are. And most decent speakers expand well past 15kHz.

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
It will be more than that. Odds are you will have nulls in other frequencies also.
Left ear will be affected from driving with the window down if you do that.
Also if you ride motorcycles without ear plugs you will wind up with hearing damage.
Same for those that attended a lot of live concerts without ear plugs.

Don't ask me how I know.
56 here and I got all that :)

It doesn't affect my decisions though. REW and the Umik mic tell me what's up and I still want those frequencies that I can't hear. Somebody else will be able to hear them.

·
Registered
601 Posts
When I was younger and watching TVs with CRTs, I was annoyed by the 15.734kHz squeal they put out.

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
About 50 feet, less if the dishwasher is running.

Reactions: MaxxCatt
1 - 10 of 10 Posts