AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While we're waiting for the next Panamorph update from Shawn and since there seem to be a lot of opinions on what makes a great movie (Pearl threads). I'm curious what diversity we have for Favorite all time on the forum.

I know I'm odd man out here with mine as Sound of Music; What's yours? No fair listing 10 of 'em!

ken

·
Registered
846 Posts
Toughie!

I'll choose mine as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Most overrated movie? Chinatown. A friend and I watched it on video and afterwards gave each other that classic look that said...huh???

All together now...the hills are alive...

--Les

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Easy one for me....It's a Wonderful Life (with The Usual Suspects a distant second)...I have had it on dvd ever since it came out and probably watch it (or at least parts of it) 3 times a year and always at Christmas. It's funny because when my fiance' asked me where I visioned myself in 10 years (when she asked it was 6 years ago) I told her married with a few kids all sitting in a darkly lit home theater with the works (3 chip dlp, electrostatics, 15" Velodyne sub, all stuff I can't afford right now, etc.) watching It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas (I know I know...sort of waste on such a system watching an old b&w movie but there you have it nonetheless).

Hmmm, let's see, got the girl, working on the home theater, kids?...no thanks...not right now http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,660 Posts

"I... have dedicated all my scientific knowledge and skill, to projects that I knew could be put to evil purposes.

FOR THE COMMON GOOD... they said.

How easy to believe in the common good...when that belief... is rewarded... with status, wealth... and POWER!

How hard to believe in the common good... when every fiber of my being.. tells me.. that the awesome powers that I have helped to create...have been put.. into the hands.. of MADMEN!!

I'VE BEEN GAGGED!!... BY THE VOMIT OF MY OWN CORRUPTION!!

Is it not fitting then, that I be president?.. Of This...Quiet...Earth?

I've been condemmned to live."

==Bruno Lawrence, as Zack Hobson.. in: "The Quiet Earth"

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
What is it in a movie that compels us to watch it so many times?

My answer: "The Shawshank Redemption"

------------------

STOP HDCP on DVI

Don O

[This message has been edited by Don O'Brien (edited 05-28-2001).]

·
Registered
496 Posts

How can anyone pick just one...?? Well, I never much liked rules anyway: Dr. Strangelove, Maltese Falcon, 2001. Damn! Can I try top 10??

- marc

p.s. The irony is that virtually ALL of my favorite movies are 4:3, b&w.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Dare to be different: Star Trek II.

Most Star Trek movies have an underlying theme. Here's my take:

Star Trek I: Voyager comes home after learning so much about the universe that it becomes "intelligent". The theme is the possibility of artificial intelligence. But like all intelligent beings, Voyager searches for a purpose and does not believe it can answer that question without first finding its creator. Luckily for Voyager it finds its creator and moves on to a new plane of existence.

Star Trek II: (Favorite) Probably the most intellectually satisfying of the Star Trek series, the theme is of life and death in many forms. The movie opens with the Kobayashi Maru no-win simulation that sets one of two philosophic tones. Kirk, however, is the only man in Starfleet to have beaten the simulation. He did so by reprogramming the computers so it was possible to win. The other philosophic tone is "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

Older and battle weary, retirement/age is the no-win situation that Kirk now faces. When McCoy comes to visit "bearing Romulan Ale", his birthday feels like a funeral.

Luckily for Kirk, a vengeful Khan has managed to rescue himself from a planet that turned to dust and took the life of his wife. Survival on the barren planet was near impossible, but Khan also managed to beat the no-win scenario by staying alive and eventually getting off the planet.

A distress call returns Kirk to active duty. Now the two individuals who have never known failure - who have always found a way to win - will face each other. In so doing, they will meet life and death in different ways.

The Genesis project - how ironic - adds another dimension to the theme. In the Genesis Cave, Kirk learns of his adult son and, for a moment, thinks about a very different life he could have lived - and begins to feel really old. In leading Kirk to the Genesis pit itself, Carol comforts him, "let me show you something that will make you feel young as though the world were new".

Fast forward to the Motarin Nebula where both ships are equally vulnerable. The game is afoot with a fair stalemate between the two sides..."goose for the gander" - i.e., "the odds are even". Ultimately, with everything else being equal, Kirk, the more experienced man, wins...or does he?

Khan dies by his own hands by triggering the Genesis device inside his ship...his need for venegeance is overwhelming - the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many.

Back at the Enterprise, warp speed is urgently needed to escape the Genesis perimeter. Seeing a no-win situation at hand, it's Spock's turn at the Kobayahi Maru. Spock, too, dies by his own hands, but for the opposite reason: the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few (or the one).

Though the ship is safe, Kirk has never confronted death like this. The eulogy for Spock is especially heartwarming, "...of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, his was the most...human." Kirk is eventually at peace with the conflict between life and death, and recalls something Spock was trying to tell him, "it's a far far better thing I do now than I have ever done. It's a far better resting place I go to than I have ever known." The final words:

McCoy: "How do you feel?"

Kirk: "I feel young."

Gets me every time.

Star Trek III: Save the whales.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
My passion for the cinema and the realization that film was an artform happened at approx 12 years old when my father let me stay up late to watch Apocalypse Now.... Since then I have seen it countless times on increasingly good setups and every time I am impressed... The layering of images as the film progresses and the questioning of morality and mission just gets me... Even lead me to grab Heart of Darkness (book not documentary) just to get some perspective...

Also cannot fault Dr Strangelove for the twisted cynics idea of great comedy (and some people just cant understand why I am falling off the chair with laughter)...

------------------

[email protected]
HTPC without using windows... GUI Front Ends for Home Theater

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
After reading many books like the ones in my signature, I like to watch movies that make me feel good about people.

For that reason, my favorite all time movies is......

Groundhog Day!

------------------

Frank...

Turn off the TV and read these books those in power DON'T want you to read...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, this is why I love this forum I guess. A lot of thoughtful folks with independent minds. I enjoy the variety of opinions, all coming from a level of independent reasoning. Isn't it interesting that virtually all of the picks for favorite, have to do with the emotional (or at least intellectual) impact they had on us at one time or another. But in each case, the impact seemed to be from a unique context. Very cool...

By the way, after Sound of Music, one of my all timers is It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. I have been waiting forever for the DVD release of this - e-mailed MGM without response. Does anybody know anything about this? It's been out in VHS a long time. Seems like it would have been DVDed long ago.

Keep the all time favorites coming. My secret mission is to list all 'em and post a synopsis. This gives a good starting point list of DVDs for those just getting going and also suggests some that may be missing from our those of us with maore massive collections

thanks for your posts

ken

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Don O'Brien:
What is it in a movie that compels us to watch it so many times?

My answer: "The Shawshank Redemption"

It creates within us, that moment, that brief moment, way back in the development of our psyche, beneath what we like to term the 'intellect'.. where what we like to call 'love' also comes from.. while we were still in the state the Australian aboriginals call 'The Dreaming'. In this state the whole world unfolds before us... with no pressures, because we do not know how to create or understand any. We exist solely as little emotional creatures..and that moment of supreme understanding is trying to unfold within us...as the understanding of linear time begins to destroy our comfort. And in that state.. we experience one, solitary moment of extreme clarity, which we may NEVER eclipse..

It sits deep within you, beneath the consciousness and conscious mind, deep within the mind, occluded by emotions and fear..the fear of death, brought to you by linear time... that one shining moment of supreme comfort, understanding and clarity.. where the world just stopped.. and the beginning of understanding began. Most of the time, it is this moment we seek. Something in the movie.. reveals the edges of this moment back to us.

------------------

goosystems.com

Ken Hotte

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by KBK (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
668 Posts
My love for movies definately originates from Star Wars. I was swept away as a kid and still enjoy watching it with the same enthusiasm today. It might be the reason I am involved in this silly home theater hobby. Funny there is no DVD yet.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jeff Lemke (edited 05-29-2001).]

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Schindlers List. Nuff said.

Chris

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.