are they what they used to be?

are they better, worse?

what's the 411 with their products?

thanks, "b"

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ha,ha,ha....... same results as i got when asking people about marantz gear. not one word.

:)

am i the only guy that employs any interest in NAD?

free bag of chips in it! i'll even wash your car. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
zooplancton

I ask the question a little while ago, and didn't get too many responses.

2 days ago I went and audition the NAD T761 after I heard the Yamaha RX-V1200 and Denon 2802 and wanting a little more in sound quality, but stay in that price range .

I spent over 2 hrs in auditioning with my Mirage speakers. It delivered the sounds both music and DVD convincingly with bigger soundstage, imageing was not bad. Have more details and depth than either the Yamaha or the Denon. It actually delivered the goods when it claims 5 x 80W. The bass was better than the Denon which was lumpy, not as tight as the Yamaha, but the Yamaha was on the dry side though. All in all pretty good. However, it lack gadgets, others aside, I think I will miss component switching and Dolby Pro-Logic II. There are also some QC issue to consider. I, myself is still thinking on it.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I agree with DKChan. NAD is superior in many respects to many of it's competitors, even if the extras are a little sparse. The Brits have an absolute love affair with NAD and I have a high opinion of them myself. They are very much like H/K in that they deliver the power and sound you want to hear...no funny business with the amp ratings.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
IMO excellent bang for the buck but not as good bang for the buck as the legendary 3020. I own a T-760 and bought a T-751 for my dad. There are many threads in regards to NAD receivers if you do a search. Some of them I responded to with more detail on the product I own. Basically no frills, simple to use, excellent sounding gear. Construction quality is ok even though it is made in China (but what isn't! - Even Rotel Amps are made in the China). IMHO, NAD gear doesn't get the recognition it deserves in the mainstream press because of the lack of gadgets and conservative power ratings.

So when can you fly to Toronto to wash my car? After you wash the car I'll let you audition the NAD T-760 and let you compare it to the Rotel pre/pro 976 and Acurus 200five combo that I have. :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey,

it's funny how you raise the question about NAD. I am also looking at some NAD gear for my living room.

I emailed NAD about the T761 A/V receiver, because it is the top model in the Theatre series, yet does not support component video switching or DPL 2. This seems strange when NAD are about to bring out their top Theatre series DVD player, the T562, which supports progressive scan through component outputs. Incidently, the T762 will decode HDCD as well.

The very rapid response from NAD was that there is a T762 model which is due out this summer, to compliment the T562 DVD player, which will boast component video switching and DPL 2 amongst other modes.

I have done alot of research about NAD, and their reputation, especially over here in the UK, is very good. All reviews of the receivers in the Theatre series that I have been have been very encouraging. Musically, the T761 consistently scores better than the Denon, especially in the better quality British Hifi press.

It will be interesting to see what the new T762 model will do. But I will be looking in a month or 2 at a T562,T762 combination, since I want a system for my living room that will at least reproduce music reasonably. When I get serious about listening to my CDs, I slip off into another room and listen to my proper Linn gear.

Incidently, anyone have any ideas for some a 5.1 speaker setup for approx 1000 dollars. I would like something fairly discrete ?

Good luck,

Skirmy

·
Registered
350 Posts
I like NAD gear. Owned an early 3020 for years, its still kicking in someone's system. Just picked up an L40 CD/Receiver for my family room mini-system. Very impressed by sound quality and functionality. Build quality is nothing special, but it sounds and looks great.

My general observation on "what's hot" is that it has a lot to do with either how much a company advertises or getting that "buzz" going by being the "latest and greatest" . Since Nad advertises moderately, they don't qualify on the first. Since they're an established company, they don't qualify on #2. These two factors make them more interesting to me!

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
I am very interested in the NAD receivers. I live 5 miles from the NAD headquarters and getting information from them is like trying to execute an espionage operation! :cool: they have told me new stuff is due out and I got a neat pre-liminary spec sheet on the T762 so far, but not from NAD themselves.

I think the quality of NAD is good. They used to be a UK company but Lenbrook of Canada (the parent company of PSB speakers) has bought them and so there may have been some teething problems but I think they are still high quality producers. I am hoping to replace my Marantz SR6200 with a nice NAD T752 or T762 if I can afford it :)

I recommend NAD stuff for sure.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
excellent!

thanks a ton guys!

they do have a very kicked back profile in the us it seems.

guess we'll need to see what happens with the t762? :)

cheers to all, and let me grab my car sponge and chips. :)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Speaking of PSB...

Skirmy, that's one place to look for your 5.1 speaker system. Take a look at the PSB site and see what fits you budget before you audition. I don't know where you are located, but in the U.S. one can get PSBs at about 20%-25% off list price.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I still have my 3045 integrated amp. I forgot teh tuner model, and I'm not at home to check it. The stuff still works. I got it in late 1979. I think it was NAD's original line.

Where it came in very handy was when my son, a Beavis & Butt-head fan tried to tell me I had no 'nads. I sure showed him!!;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Has anyone heard anything about the S170 pre-pro? One B&M said it would be out in July and MSRP would be about $3K. Has anyone seen it at a show or read any reviews?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've been an NAD fanatic for years now, ever since selling NAD gear while in college and buying my first amplifier (NAD 2700, still a huge bang/buck performer). As a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of finishing our basement which will naturally include a HT room. I have a 75" Middle Atlantic rack dedicated specifically to my amplifier array, which many may find to be gross overkill: (3) NAD 2700's, (2) NAD 2400'sd, and and NAD 208, each with a dedicated fan that forces cool air right through the equipment and out the back, not just over the top of the amp. How will I be using them?

Front, L/R: One channel of NAD 2700 on the mids/tweets and the other channel on the woofers, bi-amped.

Center: One channel of NAD 2700 on the center channel speaker and the other channel on a dedicated subwoofer for the center speaker.

Side Surrounds: One of the 2400's will take care of these

Rear Surrounds: The other 2400.

Sub: VMPS larger subwoofer driven by the 208.

I can't wait to get this finished so I can post pictures! BTW, speakers are as follows, and already purchased except for the larger sub:

VMPS SuperTower/R SE's

VMPS QSO 626 SE

VMPS Dedicated Subwoofer

VMPS Dipole Surrounds (sides)

VMPS QSO 404 (rears)

Yummy!

-Chris

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Driscoll
Has anyone heard anything about the S170 pre-pro? One B&M said it would be out in July and MSRP would be about $3K. Has anyone seen it at a show or read any reviews?
I was thinking of purchasing the S170 and did some research but decided not too purchase it because the price tag was out of my budget. The "features" I did like were the lack of features! And the EARS (which I do use on my T-760) which is NAD's proprietary surround mode for playing 2 ch music through all the speakers. It doesn't kill the 2 ch sound as do most surround modes. Music still resembles music.

Another board member mentioned that the Silver series is made in Dennmark instead of China like the other NAD products. I ended up purchasing a demo Rotel RSP 976 for about 1/4 of the cost. I probably would have bought the S170 if I were to consolidate my 2ch system with my HT system and if the S170 sounded as warm as my current 2 ch pre (Sonic Frontiers SLF-1 signature).

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hey ec,

i noticed you live in canada, do we share the same "power"? i thought i had read that the "silver" series was a non-shipping to U.S. as they were made for the different power that eurpoe has? is this true?

---sorry i didn't bother to go to the website and see for myself, just thought i had seen that.

i am very attracted to keeping my 2 channel set up, and this makes me even more stoked.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zooplancton
hey ec,

i noticed you live in canada, do we share the same "power"? i thought i had read that the "silver" series was a non-shipping to U.S. as they were made for the different power that eurpoe has? is this true?

---sorry i didn't bother to go to the website and see for myself, just thought i had seen that.

i am very attracted to keeping my 2 channel set up, and this makes me even more stoked.
Yep, up here in the great white north we also use 120 V 60 hz cycle. I have seen the silver series amps and pre amps at a local audio store here so they definitely make 'em for the North American Market. Also on the NAD website they usually specify if a product is only for a particular region. For example, there are some European Receivers only.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.