AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently went on a movie binge to try to catch up on some DVD-watching. (I have a habit of buying DVDs and then letting them sit around for months. I think I'm up to 50+ titles that I need to watch.) Anyhow, I wound up sitting through Roman Polanski's Macbeth and the Hong Kong action flick Time and Tide in the same day.

I'm not entirely sure, but I believe that I was disappointed by Macbeth because Polanski's version has a reputation for being graphic. At the time that it was made (1971), it probably caused quite a stir. But having seen many considerably more graphic and violent films that have been made since, I didn't think Macbeth was as bloody or violent as people made it out to be. This is probably what made me pop in Time and Tide, which isn't what I consider a bloodbath but is quite visually stunning. The writing doesn't come close Shakespeare, but the action choreography is sheer brilliance.

In terms of actually going out to the movies for a double feature, I can only remember doing that once and it was a doozy: Steven Soderbergh's Kafka followed by David Cronenberg's Naked Lunch ... in different movie houses, no less. I suppose these two movies don't contrast as much as a Shakespearean tragedy and an HK action movie, but the overall effect was considerably stronger. After the Soderbergh-Cronenberg double bill, I found myself wondering why anybody needed to shoot or light up to go on a headtrip.

So what about you guys? What odd double features have you sat through

1) at home?

2) at the cinema?

·
Registered
151 Posts
On Memorial Day we watched the special edition LD of Patton and turned on the TV and 5 star Generals was just starting on the history channel.

Felt like I cold take out Rommell and a Panzer Division by the end of it

·
Registered
69 Posts
This Saturday I saw a triple-feature (back-to-back-to-back) of Insomnia, Undercover Brother, and Vanilla Sky (DVD). Pretty fried by the end...

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
On a Sunday afternoon I usually have a double feature, last Sundays was Pale Rider and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea with Walter Pidgeon (Forbidden Planet).

For the holiday I had a special double feature Swashbuckler Robert Shaw (Jaws)

and Forbidden Planet with Leslie Nielson (Poisidon Adventure~Captain). Nice to see them with my 525P progresive scan DVP. Wow what a clear picture on the 1 year old F-38310. :)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
In a 2nd run movie theatre in Vancouver - they play double features for $5. The last double feature I saw there was Kiss of the Dragon / Moulin Rouge. I have since bought both DVDs and plan to do these double feature again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.