AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are your thoughts on this projector?

Was told by the local shop this is "the one" to get with my budget of 15K.

Was told this and Gray (Something "Hawk"?) 10 ft screen.

Yeah? Nay?

Thanks for your thoughts.....

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Caspyr,

I see your fairly new. At the top of the page is a search button, give it a try and you'll find all you ever wanted to know about the Marantz. If you already know about it, sorry.

Scott

·
Registered
393 Posts
:) I saw this on a 110 diag firehawk screen and it was stunning but I put my sim2 300plus up against it and that was the winner for me tho I was mainly looking for a screen for my sim so I was already sold on the sim. If you have 15g's I would seriouly consider the sim, it has in my opinion better blacks and sharper picture. my 02 cents :cool:

·
Registered
581 Posts
@Caspyr

Follow the suggestions about the S3 if you can wait. If you want to go with the S2 now, don't go for the Greyhawk!!

The S2 calibrated to 6500K will have approx 300-400 lumens hitting the screen. So the Greyhawk with it's 0.95 gain probably will be on the dim side.

If you want a Stewart I'd suggest to go with the Firehawk (1.3X gain).

It will help you also with some ambient light

I'm using a 110'' diag. Firehawk with my Sharp 9000 which is fine and saw the Sharp on a Greyhawk (too dim).

Maybe try mentioning if you have complete light control, screen size, what color your walls have (if they are white, the firehawk might help further to reduce reflections from the walls)

Cheers

Anthony

PS:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Use a Firehawk screen, not a Grayhawk. Better contrast + brightness boost. And the S2 has been superceded by the S3 that uses the new TI chip. The S2 is a great projector but you should be able to buy it a heckuva lot cheaper now.

Dan

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your input so far.

What will be the biggest difference in the new S3? Is it still slated for November?

Anthony,

The screen size will be 10ft. True theater with dark walls and no ambient light.

I am going to assume however, that the kids will be in there and using it as a TV a lot, so at times there may be some ambient light.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Caspyr,

lucky you! With that budget you will get an amazing product. I would choose between the Marantz S3 and the Sim2 Ht300 Extra. Regardless, Firehawk is the way to go for screen. Tell us about the size of your room and distance from the screen. The Marantz will need to be installed closer to the screen than the Sim2. The S3 and the Extra are brand new products which take advantage of a new TI chip for increased contrast. I believe both have improved color wheels also. S3 and Extra will be available by Christmas (the Sim2 will arrive sooner than the S3).

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Caspyr

you should just hang out here more and get a better fealing for what's hot and whats not. Especially if you are a value shopper.

There are plenty of HD2s around the $5-6k range that will give you 99.99% of what any of the new projectors will. That extra $10k may be handy

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
I am going to assume however, that the kids will be in there and using it as a TV a lot
Kids with Peanut butter on their hands, all over the screen - aaaahhhhh!!! ;)

·
Registered
581 Posts
Talking about screens, I have heard of people comparing the Firehawk to the Da-Lite with a Sharp 10000. It seems that the HD2 and HD2+ have a very good black-level on their own. Now closing the IRIS of the Marantz S3 or Sharp 12000 to a max. (almost closed) black-level/contrast will be the best but with less brightness. To compensate for the low lumen's (around 300) they have tested a new Da-Lite fabric (I can't recall the name "Wide-Mate" ???) with a 2.2 gain. In comparison the black-level was only worse when displaying a 0IRE pattern. With all other images, the extra punch with 2.2 gain gave a much better overall picture. They actually said and I quote "No comparison"!

One of my friends has sold his Firehawk and will be getting the new Da-Lite screen.

I don't want to add further confusion but since you are willing to spend a lot of $$ and have a light controlled room with dark walls, the higher gain screen might be the way to go...

Just my 0.02$

Regards,

Anthony

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Caspyr,

If by 10' wide, you mean the actual screen width VS diagonal width, it is probably too large a screen for the S2 and a 1.3 gain screen (like the firehawk). Dan Miller of Marantz recommends that you go no larger than 110" diagonal, which is 8' wide.

At 10' of actual screen width, you will probably not be satisfied with the image during dark movie scenes, in that it will be hard to make out what is going on. PJ bulbs dim significantly as they age and this problem should be expected to get worse.

I would not exceed his recommended max screen width, especially by the amount that you are considering. The S3 is going to be a bit brighter than the S2. Dan might recommend a little larger max screen size for it. I don't know. The S3 sounds like an exciting product that is worth the wait.

If you want a 10' wide screen (which is 137"D) , you should consider a brighter PJ, like the Infocus SP7200/SP7205 with the Firehawk, or else a higher gain screen, like the High Power, for the S2/S3.

Be advised that there are tradeoffs involved with each of these choices. Doing a search on each of them will bring most of the trade offs to your attention.

·
Registered
89 Posts
shumi_9

Don't forget the long throw Marantz lens.

You're correct that the sim3 is mounted further than the marantz with the regular lens, but that's still too close for my room (21' length, pj hidden behind back wall , screen 84-87" wide)

I needed the long throw with Marantz, and had to buy the S3, instead of the Sim, even though I would have loved to have the Sim 300+Link with HDMI and firewire input in the equipment closet, remote from the pj.

Barry

·
Registered
136 Posts
Barry

Can't wait to hear how you like your set up as my set up will be very close to yours..proj 21 ft from screen with a 100" diag screen (firehawk)...I too will use the Marantz S3 with the long throw lens as advised by my HT dealer...which is fine but I may have some ambient light and I am a bit worried about how it will look......is your room light controllled?

·
Registered
89 Posts
eags

I'm lucky to have a room over garage with no windows. The only window in the room is enclosed in the equipment closet. I've not been worried about enough pj brightness/contrast to have a good picture---

do you think it will be an issue?

Unfortunately, house won't be finished until February, so I won't know for sure what it looks like until move in and equipment install. The wait is frustrating, as I've been hanging out on avs for over a year, and I'm ready to go ahead and enjoy the results of all the audio/video planning!

Hopefully you will be up and running before then. Please let me know how yours looks if you beat me to it!

Barry

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks for the reply Barry. My house won't be ready until March/April so you'll probably beat me to it.....hope so for your sake:)

Looks like you have a nice set up. Mine is going into the family room on the first floor. I plan on having a 46"-50" Rear Projection set to watch during the day and have the drop down motorized screen for night watching. I'm not one of those people who likes to watch TV in the pitch black dark....I like some...albeit a little...light.

Good luck with your project and I will remember to contact you as my project progresses to compare notes...hope you will do the same.

Be Well,

Eags

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Caspyr,

Marantz right below, SIM2 top left. Actual shots from the screen taken with a Sony 5 Meg digital camera.

HTPC with Radeon 9700, DVI, Catalyst drivers, Stewart StudioTek 1.3, 96" wide split in twp parts, aprox. 2/3 of the width.

Both projectors are in calibrated conditions (with Colorfacts CF6000).

This is a part of a 6 DLPs shoot out (I can't replicate everything!) that's on its way on HTProjectors.

http://www.htprojectors.com/htprojec...S/DSC08268.jpg

The Marantz is a little bit brighter (and this is reflected by the measures) but the SIM2 has a wider and deeper red. You may noticed that the S2 can look more aggressive: in fact, red rendering is superior in the HT300 Plus (see the blanket near NK left's leg).

Anyhow, 2 great DLPs: which one, is a matter of taste and calibration!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Andrea,

please help me out as I am trying to decide between the Sim (my preference right now due to advantageous throw ratio) and the Marantz. When I compare the two pictures, I notice variations in color reproduction as you stated. The Sim appears to have deeper reds...also the big pillow near Nicole's head is sort of greenish on the Sim and more golden on the Marantz. Well, that is fine, who knows what the real color is and that really does not bother me that much. BUT, I can't help but noticing that it is easier to see more details on the Marantz than on the Sim. The background on the Sim is washed out (too dim?). Why is that?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.