I just got my pj back from service.

It wasn't too bad to get down, but

putting it back up is proving to be

quite stressful.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Very timely question, I just did this yesterday. I rented a Genie Material Lift. They come in 8'-20' heights. I only needed the 8-foot lift. Its nice and compact and handles up to 400 pounds. It was only $20 for a half day and $30 for a full day. Worth every d*mn penny! When you call around to rental stores specify the Genie Material Lift otherwise they will always quote the scissor lifts that are electric, big and expensive. Brian

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
My brother and I usually turn blue as we lift the NEC over our heads and attempt to catch the mount hooks in one take :D

Wish I had a lift.

Marc

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
if you don,t want to spend the money on renting a genie try the old adage that say,s " if the spirit is willing the flesh has the strenght of ten" hehe

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I use cinch straps on the 4 corners of the PJ and do it all the time.

Terry

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use the chief lift for my xg852 which i bought used off ebay for less than $300. I honestly do not know what i would do without it with the amount of times I raise and lower my projector (trying to achieve visual zen). I would also suggest not buying the attachment for your specific projector(connects proj with lift) and rather build you own using unistrut this will save another $100.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
My HT is on the first floor with attic space above and it was a simple matter to install 2 sets of 3 pulleys and use 3 aircraft cables that run to a manual winch in an adjacent room. The three aircraft cables attach to a frame that has the projector bracket mounted on it.

I raise and lower it by myself.

If I need to lower the projector, I unscrew the positioning screws that only serve to keep the projector stable while it's on the ceiling and lower it onto several large cushions on the floor. Then I unhook the projector from it's bracket, raise the frame, and flip the projector onto it's feet.

Vern

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I have a suspended ceiling above toe projector in the HT. I mounted a manual boat trailer winch above the suspended ceiling attached to the joists. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
On my Sony 1292 (225 pounds), I have six pieces of all-thread connecting the ceilng (three pieces of unistrut parallel to the screen, one per joist) and projector (two pieces of unistrut parallel to the projector which support two pieces of 1/8" thick 2x1/2" c-section bolted to the projector top) halves of my unistrut mount.

For lifting, I replaced the short pieces of all-thread with 90" chunks that stop 6" off the ground, lined the projector's CG up with the middle pair, and threaded on nuts + fender washers.

After that, I found that the best technique was to lift one corner a few inches and then spin the nuts up to match. Using gear wrenches on the middle bolts and spinning the rest up worked OK but was a lot slower.

Once up, I replaced each long piece of all-thread with its shorter counterpart (one at a time).

I haven't moved it down more than a few inches, although it seems like the reverse would work.

·
Registered
764 Posts
What's wrong with luring your neighbors with a few beers and having them give you a helping hand??? It costs around $10.00 per lift!!!

We did my 9500lc in 3 minutes... Of course we had to bring it into the attic first... Thats another story.

The other day they helped me with 7 cinematech chairs that weigh abouth 250lbs a piece. They are really nice guys!!!

Pablo

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I used the same technique as Drew.

4 long threaded rods, 4 short threaded rods, a piece of plywood and up it went... lifting a corner at a time and spinning the nuts upward. My projector only weighed about 165 lbs but the technique made the task very safe and easy, even if you don't have four friends with strong backs.

Barco 1208 - On its way up
http://home.triad.rr.com/leggio/imag...l/pic00073.jpg

Once up and secured by the shorter rods, the long threaded rods, plywood, and the obligatory sofa-cushion were removed and put away in case the projector would ever need to be lowered.

Joe L.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I remove the lense blocks, then bribe beefy friends with beer (after the lift only) to help me get it to the ceiling. Once in place, install lense blocks.

- Rick

·
Registered
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by quince
Sorry, it's getting late, eyes getting fuzzy, I thought you said "breasts"

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well,

i got a welder to weld a pipe into the middle of a 2'x2' metal plate.

then i rented a manfrodo (a heavy duty tripod used for stage lighting;

no it's not an italian gigalo).

i inserted the pipe into the manfrodo (this is stating to sound sick)

and then me and my brother only had to lift the projector 4 feet

high and rest it on the metal base. then i just hand cranked it into

position (about 8 feet high).

worked really well.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Two 1000 pound capacity hand winches in the attic. Less than $20 each. Add a little steal cable and even a 1292 (225 pounds) goes up without breaking a sweat.

I left the cables attached to the PJ lift handles (and winches) as a back-up in the unlikely event the 4 x 10 beam the steal mount straddles fails.

Ed

·
Registered
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J. L.

4 long threaded rods, 4 short threaded rods, a piece of plywood and up it went... lifting a corner at a time and spinning the nuts upward.

Isn't that like 96 inches * 12 threads/inch * 4 rods = 4600 revolutions?

I admire your dedication but my wrists hurt just thinking about it!

Regards,

Matt

·
Registered
267 Posts
I used a $20 hand crank winch. It has a worm drive, so it does not allow the load to fall when the handle is released. It is compact and I think it has a 2000# capacity. I ran a piece of unistrut across the upper part of the mount and attached the winch to it. I then attached the Sony 1270 to the winch hook via plastic coated steel cable. I removed the handle of the winch and added two nuts (to lock together), which I drove with a cordless drill and socket. I raised the projector to the ceiling using the drill in less than 1 minute, attached the projector to the unistrut, and removed the winch/cable. Total cost was ~$24, and I have the winch for other uses. :)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
All I do is flip my house upside down, bolt the projector to the now floor, flip the house back right side up, and Viola! Projector is neatly mounted on the ceiling. This also helps with the HT budget funds by dislodging loose change from the sofa crevices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.