AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that Ive finished my HTPC and put it on my rack, I think I need a change since the equipment is outgrowing the stand.

The stand I have is nice enough, but I was wondering what other people are using. I would like to put the equipment into a closet or something like that but that wont work for me as I have to move quite often (I average about 1.5 years per place) and I usually have to rent.

The problems I have with this rack are that:

1) It is too small.

2) The wires are getting harder and harder to control, and changing anything on the amplifier is a pain. I may move that to the middle of the rack to cut down on the wires that have to travel the entire length of the rack.

I found some cloth cable wrap at Frys the other day and used that on my HTPC. It seems nice though it frayed pretty badly when I had to cut it. I found some here on the web that use Velcro and that may be an even better solution since cables can exit wherever they need to and it is easier to change. I have some hard plastic organizers on my office computer but I find them difficult to use at times and not as nice as the cloth.

So, what do you all use and how do you like it? A recent thread in the Plasma forum with pictures of their setups was great. Im sure a lot of people would like to see how your gear is arranged. If it is built in, thats fine. Someday I will settle down too!

·
Registered
271 Posts
three words...

split loom tubing

Now I don't feel so bad about my wires :p

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Automotive section has a split black plastic tube that should help. Not sure you want to use them but there are also cable management items in the video section of most home improvement stores that have a super sticky tape on one side and a snap shut mechanism on the other. Cable ties alone might do the job by grouping all your cables together and maybe fastening them to the rear support "pipe".

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I bought my Sony 34XBR800, I needed a stand that would also be able to fit all my components behind doors - to keep them away from my toddler. I ended up getting this unit custom built.

http://thebettertons.com/_images/misc/cabinet.jpg

Because the tv has to sit on an angle, the unit ended up being really deep. That allowed me to have extra storage space in the back, which is accesible via 2 side doors (they are hidden in the rear side panels). That space allows the cables to be organized (and out of site) and also allowed my to fit a HTPC and my subwoofer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.