AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody out there had a chance to do a comparison to these four players.

Rega Saturn,Arcam FMJ-36, NAD M5, and Cambridge 840.

I'm asking for your thoughts Please.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenee /forum/post/14221944

Has anybody out there had a chance to do a comparison to these four players.

Rega Saturn,Arcam FMJ-36, NAD M5, and Cambridge 840.

I'm asking for your thoughts Please.

Thanks

Ok. Ready?! Here we go..... Let the debating begin!!!!!

In this order:

1) Cambridge Audio AZUR 840C

2) NAD M5

3) Rega Saturn

4) Arcam FMJ-36

You really can't go wrong with any of these fine players!

But the CA 840 has set a new standard for Hi-end CDP's! It's feature set is outstanding, especially the Black Fin processors and the Dual Anagram Technology DAC's (24 bit/384 kHz) and dual digital inputs among other things!
Hard to beat for the price!

Others will argue and rearrange the order, so do your research!

Regards.

·
Premium Member
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking for a moment Nobody had ever heard of these,by the response that I was getting. Just Kidding. Has anyone heard or have info on the new Arcam FMJ37 that is set to be released, other than whats on there website.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey you are right actually........i am one of those who have very less of knowledge about all this but yeah I am keeping a eye on this particular thread as i m really interested what are the function and how one can use them,...

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Give some serious thought to abandoning the CD player altogether and buying a streaming device to play music ripped to a hard drive. The convenience of such a setup makes CD players obselete for me. My 3 CD players are now stored in a closet.

·
Registered
812 Posts
FMW makes a good point.

One that combines a CD player but is really designed to have them ripped to its internal hard disk is the Escient range.

The lowest model than can encode both MP3 and FLAC I believe is the FireBall MX-111.
http://www.escient.com/products/mx111.html

It was comments from a few others that made me aware of this company/product and overall their feedback is they are good.

This is definitely a product I am considering, might fit your needs as well.

Cheers

DT

·
Banned
8,503 Posts
The Cambridge 340C plays CDs flawlessly. There is nothing tat could justify spending more, even for the higher models in Cambridge's own line.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/14341748

The Cambridge 340C plays CDs flawlessly. There is nothing tat could justify spending more, even for the higher models in Cambridge's own line.

Nice try "PULLIAMM"!

So I guess the dual Anagram Technology DAC's do nothing for the 840. And let's not forget the Black Fin DSP's. Oh yeah, how could I forget the dual digital inputs that allow the 840 to be an external DAC for other digital devices! I can go on and on, but I won't. The 340C may suit your needs. But in his initial inquiry, the 340C was not included for a reason! He's looking at higher end players.

Peace!

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 /forum/post/14341822

He's looking at higher end players.

In terms of sound quality, there is no such thing as a "higher end player". All you get for more money is convenience features and looks. You are certainly correct that neither of the specific technologies you mentioned make any audible difference.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/14343522

In terms of sound quality, there is no such thing as a "higher end player".

Better qualify that with "a non revealing system".

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/14344688

If differences existed, my system would reveal them.

So let me see if I'm reading this correctly! You're saying that there's no difference in performance when comparing the 340C's Cirrus Logic Crystal CS 4338 24 bit/96 kHz DAC to the dual, meaning TWO, Anagram Technologies' 24 bit /384 kHz DAC's via a Analog Devices' 32 bit Black Fin DSP????!!!!!

If that is what you are saying,.... everyone is entitled to an opinion, regardless of how moronic it may be!

By the way! Just curious.... Have you ever compared the 840C to the 340C?! I mean actually heard the two CD players together, you know, A/B comparison!?! Because I have and believe me, there's a difference!

But that's just me being hoodwinked by my own placebo effect!

Regards!

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 /forum/post/14346581

Glad to know that you have finally come to your senses and admitted that fact.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 /forum/post/14346581

I mean actually heard the two CD players together, you know, A/B comparison!?! Because I have and believe me, there's a difference!

Regards!

I would believe you if it were a bias controlled listening test. But I've done the bias controlled testing so I view it as a preference on your part rather than an audible difference. I do believe that you believe you heard the differences. Been there done that. Perhaps one day you will conduct a bias controlled test and learn the truth.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PULLIAMM /forum/post/14349042

Glad to know that you have finally come to your senses and admitted that fact.

Why don't you just tell the guy to buy an APEX dvd player and get it over with!

I'm glad your little CA 340 combo works for you. But again, that's for you! If you are satisfied with it's performance, Great! But, I told you before in another thread that what you think is fine for you may not work for others, so to say that there's no difference in CDP's and then try to convince the masses of that ideal is asinine at best!

Regards!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW /forum/post/14349168

I would believe you if it were a bias controlled listening test. But I've done the bias controlled testing so I view it as a preference on your part rather than an audible difference. I do believe that you believe you heard the differences. Been there done that. Perhaps one day you will conduct a bias controlled test and learn the truth.

So now there's two of you claiming there's no difference in CD Players?! Wow!

That's it, I'm convinced! You two are the CDP gurus and know all there is to know about CDP performance. Unbelievable!

So the differences in Dynamic range, S/N, Analog stages, power supply/transformers, DAC's, etc,.... None of that matters, huh?!

If you two believe it doesn't than you both should explain why there are differences in specs and performance ratings.

·
Banned
8,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 /forum/post/14349230

So the differences in Dynamic range, S/N, Analog stages, power supply/transformers, DAC's, etc,.... None of that matters, huh?!

If you two believe it doesn't than you both should explain why there are differences in specs and performance ratings.

It is not that those differences do not exist on paper, it is just that they are utterly trivial. My point all along is that audible differences do not exist. Those who imagine otherwise are both underestimating the performance of entry-level CDPs and overestimating the capabilities of the human ear (or of their own ears, in which case it is pure egotism.)

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
Interesting review in the latest issue of Sterophile. Wes Phillips wrote up a review of the new Definitive Technologies Mythos ST SuperTower speakers. The first time he heard them was with John Atkinson in an apartment and I won't go into the details other than say he was so impressed by the sound that he quickly agreed to review them for the manufacturer. He asked how they were being powered during that visit and describes how stunning the sound was. The manufacturer told him that they were being powered by an integrated amp, Cayin A-50T and the transport? A Sony PS1 that was picked up at a garage sale for $35. He says and I quote: "JA and I sat there, chins touching laps, taking them in."

So, perhaps, on the issue of sound quality, the transport may not be quite as important as some would have us believe.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atdamico /forum/post/14349494

Interesting review in the latest issue of Sterophile. Wes Phillips wrote up a review of the new Definitive Technologies Mythos ST SuperTower speakers. The first time he heard them was with John Atkinson in an apartment and I won't go into the details other than say he was so impressed by the sound that he quickly agreed to review them for the manufacturer. He asked how they were being powered during that visit and describes how stunning the sound was. The manufacturer told him that they were being powered by an integrated amp, Cayin A-50T and the transport? A Sony PS1 that was picked up at a garage sale for $35. He says and I quote: "JA and I sat there, chins touching laps, taking them in."

So, perhaps, on the issue of sound quality, the transport may not be quite as important as some would have us believe.

So no chance that the sound would have improved with let's say, a Marantz SA8001 CD/SACD Player?

Look, I'm not claiming that the difference in performance is night and day. Especially with the products the poster is trying to compare. I just find it hard to believe the claim that there's no audible difference at all between a plain jane CDP and of one with higher quality parts. Pulliamm, you claim that your 340C performs as well as any other player on the market right?! So according to your logic, you've been duped! That player list for $369.00.

So why spend the few hundred dollars on that? Instead, you could have spent $69.00 on a POS from CC or BB and save yourself some dough? Since none of the specs I listed really matter. Again, according to your logic!

Regards.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts