1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Not in particular order.

1. Evolution Acoustics
2. Dynaudio
3. Raid-Ho

Company that do not sound good for price.

1. Wilson

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
In no particular order:

Danley Sound Labs
Seaton Sound Inc.
JTR Speakers

The worst:

Bose

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I'll provide two. My favorites are EMP and B&W. EMP for supplying high end sound for mid-fi money and B&W for producing a rich product line that runs the gamut from modest to extreme high end and each with great sound for the money. I think most people can find what they want somewhere in one of Harman's product lines as well.

Naim and I don't agree on much but we do about Wilson Audio. These are perhaps the worst value in all of audio. Boring and lifeless but incredibly expensive.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
1. Aerial 2. Vandersteen 3. Harbeth. For 3 I would have said Thiel, but Thiel no longer makes Thiel speakers. What I enjoy the least Magico.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I have many favorites (that I heard), but these are a few...

Salk Sound
Old Polk
JTR

I'd have to say the worst is: Bose

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Never heard a speaker I bought I disliked. I have bought Yamaha, Klipsch, Polk, Audio Concepts ( defunct?), and B&W. I own KRK powered monitors, and they are ok given the rock bottom price, but I suggest people serious about mixing audio might want to step up to something better :)

I once heard a Cerwin Vega in a store that did not sound right to me, boomy bass, but can you really make such evaluations from a speaker at a Best Buy?

I know people hate Bose, and I thought their wave radio sound like crap, but I once heard 301 or 501 or something like that which sounded pretty good.

It seems to me, that as speakers involve so many compromises, there's few bad speakers, just stick to trusted manufacturers. At the end of the day, seems until you can get the speakers in your own home, connected to your own amp and setup you won't be able to evaluate them with any accuracy.

Also note, that with the typical use of powered subwoofers there's a big variable there in terms of how the speakers are going to fit in that almost no review or store eval is going to help with.

One thing I can't stand is boomy bass, but make sure it's the speaker not the mix. I find a good pair of headphones can help you find inherent problems with a song's mix so you don't accidently attribute that to a flaw in the speaker. This is something I don't see mentioned much but I found helpful in my own evaluations

Reactions: Mkard

·
Registered
141 Posts
Favorites: Paradigm, JTR, Salk.

Worst: Bose, B&O, Logitech (Not really a speaker company but they still make horrible speakers)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Klipsch, Acoustic Research and JBL.

The worst Bose-no highs no lows, Infinity-blown tweeters, Empire-they blow everything.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Favorite:
Paradigm
B & W
Salk
Honorable mention:
Focal La Grande $196,000

Worst:
Bose

st2.jpg

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Kef
B&W
Revel

The worst speakers I ever owned, Bose 201.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Never heard a speaker I bought I disliked. I have bought Yamaha, Klipsch, Polk, Audio Concepts ( defunct?), and B&W. I own KRK powered monitors, and they are ok given the rock bottom price, but I suggest people serious about mixing audio might want to step up to something better :)

I once heard a Cerwin Vega in a store that did not sound right to me, boomy bass, but can you really make such evaluations from a speaker at a Best Buy?

I know people hate Bose, and I thought their wave radio sound like crap, but I once heard 301 or 501 or something like that which sounded pretty good.

It seems to me, that as speakers involve so many compromises, there's few bad speakers, just stick to trusted manufacturers. At the end of the day, seems until you can get the speakers in your own home, connected to your own amp and setup you won't be able to evaluate them with any accuracy.

Also note, that with the typical use of powered subwoofers there's a big variable there in terms of how the speakers are going to fit in that almost no review or store eval is going to help with.

One thing I can't stand is boomy bass, but make sure it's the speaker not the mix. I find a good pair of headphones can help you find inherent problems with a song's mix so you don't accidently attribute that to a flaw in the speaker. This is something I don't see mentioned much but I found helpful in my own evaluations
Very good point. Just stick to trusted manufacturers and dont buy the bad speakers that some do make. Personally, i really dislike Bose as well, mainly because they advertise HEAVILY and with all the money they make, they take most of it and put it into even more advertising instead of using it to try and create better speaker lines... god i hate that. and whats REALLY unfortunate, is it paid off for them because the military signed them up for a multi-million dollar contract, mainly for creating noise cancellation speakers for them. A few others participated but Bose was ultimately chosen mainly because it was more well known. Ugh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
What are yours? Why start a thread like this without playing yourself?
What online rule states i must? Lol.

Ok, but i will:

TOP 3 I've owned and loved:

1) Sony
2) Bose
3) Monoprice

Worst:

Dynaudio

Hahahaha.. I'm joking I'm joking.
My actual list is here:

TOP 3 Own(ed) and love

1) Paradigm
2) Dynaudio
3) Bowers & Wilkens

Worst (i've never owned any speakers i hated, but the ones i've heard in person and hated the most are) :

Bose.

Im sure there are worst but for its high price tags and low performance output... that really upsets me. Especially when they make so many of them like that. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts