AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For decades Sony has best PC monitors, TV direct view tubes etc. What's wrong with their Plasma line ?

Why PQ is not really up there comparing to Panny et. al

Any thoughts ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,500 Posts
Sony started off making Alis panels (check out the FAQ) and just couldn't compete with the PQ of the Panny, Pioneer, Fujitsu and NEC. Also their glass just wasn't that good; the overall PQ interlacing aside was just poor.


I think Panny got a big boost in the plasma game when they bought out a company that was heavy into researching plasmas and absorbed their technology. Perhaps Sony's tendancy to develop everything on their own has also slowed them down a little.


2 things though. Apparently their plasma sales have remained quite high, despite the fact that few have them here on avs. As a generalization, those who buy a panel without really looking at it based solely on name are not the type who send time researching and talking about the technology on somewhere like this. Also, the new Sony panels are 768 vertical res. progressive scan like the rest of the world's 50". I'm sure when they hit the market in full force we'll be hearing a lot more from the world of Sony.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
It's kind of funny, but I tried to do a fair amount of research before buying my Sony ALIS, but unfortunately I knew nothing about this forum at the time. :) I decided on ALIS because I wanted to experiment with using my PC as the display device, but I have since concluded that I get a better result there with my LCD display. I am running a Faroudja NR series device for de-interlacing and connecting via RGB since the model I'm using doesn't have component inputs. It gives an okay picture this way, but I'm really at a loss to compare it with other plasma displays.


Ah well, a fool and his money are soon parted. I'm pretty happy that I have such a large base of information to peruse now as my quest for my ultimate display device continues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32,172 Posts
Sony bet completely against plasma initially and only supported it obliquely. Things are changing somewhat, however, and the support is clearly growing.


I am cautiously optimistic abou the new models based on NEC glass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rogo,


do you think Sony will be using NEC glass ? I've looked at their 50' model and it has similar res like my NEC 1366X768
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,038 Posts
Sony used to be a leader, but now they are just a follower. Take a look at their DVD players, they all have chroma bug and pretty much any Panny has better picture. The same applies to Plasmas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,351 Posts
Mark, I agree about the newer NEC based Sony. That fancy-shmancy WEGA 50" I saw had a wonderful picture.


Rich.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scarrow
It's kind of funny, but I tried to do a fair amount of research before buying my Sony ALIS, but unfortunately I knew nothing about this forum at the time. :) I decided on ALIS because I wanted to experiment with using my PC as the display device, but I have since concluded that I get a better result there with my LCD display. I am running a Faroudja NR series device for de-interlacing and connecting via RGB since the model I'm using doesn't have component inputs. It gives an okay picture this way, but I'm really at a loss to compare it with other plasma displays.


Ah well, a fool and his money are soon parted. I'm pretty happy that I have such a large base of information to peruse now as my quest for my ultimate display device continues.
Live and learn I guess. Did you see that thread where a member sold his 42" Sony on ebay for almost what it cost to replace it with a Pio 43"? As far as HTPC is concerned, you'd be very well serviced by a 50" panny with progressive scan and 1365x768 resolution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
I'm leaning towards a medium that is better suited to video game playing, since that is a primary use of the television in my home, so I was thinking about replacing it with the Samsung 61" DLP RPTV. My plasma display ghosts fairly badly on any image left still for a very little amount of time. I've never had any problem erasing this image by using invert for a while, but it worries me a bit.


A question, since we're here in the LCD display section as well, do the LCD displays used in RPTVs have the same response time issues that a normal LCD flat panel has? I'll ask the same about DLP, but that is a question perhaps for a different forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by atmosfera
rogo,


do you think Sony will be using NEC glass ? I've looked at their 50' model and it has similar res like my NEC 1366X768
Yes, this was cofirmed about three months ago and discussed here for a while. This was the first thread to discuss this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=reuters


Others can be found by searching for PFM-50C1
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,098 Posts
Sony is in the consumer market.


Unit recently, plasmas were not exactly mass consumer items.


They are only now realizing how plasmas will effect the consumer big-screen TV market in the next few years. Their current offering is much much better than what they had before. I predict that in a couple of years they will be selling more plasmas than anyone else - primarily because of their brand name.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Just purchased a Sony KE42TS2 - was in a dead heat with the Panasonic PT-42PD3-P or 4-P. Side by side clarity and color comparison gave an edge to the Panasonic's, but decided to go with Sony because of the higher resolution, input/output options and DVI interface.


I have to say, I was expecting to have to immediately pony up for a digitial processor because of an unacceptabe DirecTV signal, but I'm quite pleased that it's so watchable (with the possible exception of football and hockey games - not bad, but not "perfectly" clear the way I expect to watch sports). Great picture with much improved color detail and black levels.


Think I'll grab a Faroudja NRS anyway, to clean up the detail and close the DVI loop.


The Sony's got my recommendation.


By the way, seems like I've been lurking here for ages. Thanks to the regulars for the detailed knowledge.


-bd
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
Sony is in the consumer market.


Unit recently, plasmas were not exactly mass consumer items.


They are only now realizing how plasmas will effect the consumer big-screen TV market in the next few years. Their current offering is much much better than what they had before. I predict that in a couple of years they will be selling more plasmas than anyone else - primarily because of their brand name.
And the product placement (Sony is definitely a leader there) doesn't hurt. They are giving away displays on a "Trading Spaces/Changing Rooms/While You Were Out" type show called "Rock the House" showing on MTV in the states. It's a musical celebrity "surprise room makeover" show. A new Sony display is part of the package.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top