AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 938 Posts

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
King World will distribute their two game show powerhouses, WHEEL OF FORTUNE and JEOPARDY in 1080i beginning September 11, 2006. Your mileage may vary, as the local station must be equipped with the ability to record the feed off of the satellite and replay it in HD locally. The vast majority of HD stations can only pass through HD programming as it is fed over the network. And if your local station is a 720p broadcaster, they must be able to convert the 1080i signal to 720p as well.

Eric

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
The Final Jeopardy question is whether there will be any stations in the entire USA who will be presenting these two syndicated shows in HD on September 11? Any one heard of a station that is planning to or is buying the equipment neccesary to present syndicated programing in HD this fall? It would be a little ironic if the first station or stations to show Jeopardy in HD were small market stations located in the Mountain time zone because they already had the gear needed to time shift the network HD feed.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have faith in WFTV in Orlando to replay these shows in HD. I watch these shows almost every night and greatly look forward to seeing the big wheel in HD!

·
Registered
7,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afiggatt /forum/post/0

The Final Jeopardy question is whether there will be any stations in the entire USA who will be presenting these two syndicated shows in HD on September 11? .

Yes.. We will: WOLO-DT ABC Columbia SC pending delivery of the equipment currently on order expected to be delivered next week.

I understand WCNC-DT here in Charlotte will carry it as well. All in All, there are approximately 20 stations who are on the list I have that have expressed interest in carrying the shows in HD.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts

SJKurtzke said:
That article states that 49 stations have made the upgrade!
The list I have comes direct from the syndicator, those call letters aren't on there, but you won't know for sure until you contact them directly.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJKurtzke /forum/post/0

That article states that 49 stations have made the upgrade!

The question is: which ones?

I'm sorry, but you appear to be using overly optimistic reading comprehension rather than critical reading comprehension.

"About 49 of the 210 stations carrying the programs have made the upgrade to HD, Mr. Friedman said. But that figure is growing rapidly, partly in preparation for the switch. As recently as couple of months ago only 20 markets had made the leap."

Nothing in that statement indicates that these stations have any ability to carry syndicated programming in HD. It just means that 49 of their affialiates have upgraded to HD.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Good point (as usual) George.

Just because a station can transmit HD doesn't necessarily mean it can downlink/record/replay HD programming from a source other than its network or own studios.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano /forum/post/0

details about the HD makeover

http://www.tvweek.com/news.cms?newsId=10524

Can you tell folks here how to subscribe to the TV Week HDTV newsletter, James?

I find it invaluable and can't wait to get it each week (and thenspread the news around the forum, of course).

But a lot of people here would probably love to get it in their own email box.

Thanks.

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredfa /forum/post/0

Can you tell folks here how to subscribe to the TV Week HDTV newsletter, James?

I find it invaluable and can't wait to get it each week (and thenspread the news around the forum, of course).

But a lot of people here would probably love to get it in their own email box.

Thanks.

sure. we're only 4 weeks in and have been trying to iron out things in terms of getting a real subscriber form on our site, cleaner design and an HD table of contents page on the Web site.

but until then, just send an email to [email protected] with the subject line "HD Newsletter subscribe."

Add your name, company (if relevant) and email address. it's free and comes out every thursday. thanks for reading

·
Registered
213 Posts
A little too late...

Ken Jennings would have looked spectacular answering every question in HD. Now all I can do is wonder if we would have had Jeopardy in HD way back then, how much more special it would have been...................

·
Registered
589 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/0

Old news, discussed here since last January.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=626672

I find it's tough on most beats to find something that's never been mentioned before anywhere. this is especially true with HD, considering how knowledgeable and passionate people are on AVS.

But I like to think there's value to getting something confirmed, finding out the details and getting quotes about it. And just because something's been mentioned before somewhere doesn't mean most people know about it. It's a judgment call you make often in reporting: how widely distributed does news need to be before it's no longer news?

Finding exclusives each week on the topic of HD is a very high bar, but I'll at least try to keep things interesting

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,616 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcinzano /forum/post/0

Finding exclusives each week on the topic of HD is a very high bar, but I'll at least try to keep things interesting

Thanks for participating at AVS. I personally appreciate your updates, especially the HD version.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
So if my local affiliate (ABC) is a 720P station then will it be highly unlikely to pick these shows up? Like another poster said, my wife and I watch these show every night and enjoy them. Not sure how hard it would be for a station to convert HD signals back & forth, etc.

·
Registered
127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmarkw /forum/post/0

So if my local affiliate (ABC) is a 720P station then will it be highly unlikely to pick these shows up? Like another poster said, my wife and I watch these show every night and enjoy them. Not sure how hard it would be for a station to convert HD signals back & forth, etc.

ABC-7 in Chicago is the affiliate the those two shows are on, lets hope that they do broadcast in HD, even if its downcompressed to 720p. More HD is great.

1 - 20 of 938 Posts