AVS Forum banner

641 - 660 of 673 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
A reminder that Jeopardy!s Teachers Tournament starts on Monday. The first week was recorded on 3/05/20. As usual, I will have the tournament covered on my website.

Wheel of Fortune is again repeats, with Monday's episode from 10/21/19.

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
I noticed that while watching the episode and then putting my web page together, that the VTR date was incorrect. The slate read 3/05/19, which I missed at first. The clue was that the show says it was recorded back in February.

I've not seen them make a mistake with the date before. Let's see if it is fixed on the next show, feeding on Monday.

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
Day 2 of the tournament and they still never noticed. I'm now guessing that nothing will change until the Friday feed, as the date will have to change.

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
They fixed the slate, finally. Next week's Jeopardy! shows were recorded on 2/25/20. That means last week's shows were recorded on the 24th.

Next week's Wheel of Fortune was originally shown the week of 10/28/19.

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Here's When Jeopardy! Will Run Out of Original Episodes Due to COVID-19

By Michael Ausiello / June 5 2020, 10:52 AM PDT

Jeopardy! will soon be in all-encore mode.

TVLine has learned that the iconic Alex Trebek-hosted game show — which halted production roughy three months ago due to the coronavirus pandemic — will air its last original episode on Friday, June 12. Reruns begin airing on Monday, June 15 and will continue until the show deems it safe to resume production.

The syndicated phenom was able to delay running out of new episodes by rebroadcasting the primetime Greatest of All Time tournament during the first two weeks of May (bookended by reruns of champ Ken Jennings’ first and last episodes from his legendary 74-game winning streak).

Jeopardy!‘s two-week Teachers Tournament, production of which was completed just prior to the shutdown, concludes tonight.

A decision on when to restart production on Jeopardy! is further complicated by Trebek’s immunocompromised condition; the multi-Emmy winner is currently battling Stage 4 pancreatic cancer last year.

In January, Trebek told reporters at the Television Critics Association winter press tour that he has no plans to sign off of the long-running quiz show “in the near future.” Two months later, he announced that he had beaten the one-year survival rate for the disease. “The one-year survival rate for Stage 4 pancreatic cancer patients is 18 percent,” he said.. “I’m very happy to report that I have just reached that marker.”

Meanwhile, fellow Sony-produced game show Wheel of Fortune — which airs immediately following Jeopardy! in many U.S. markets — will continue to mix new episodes with reruns throughout the summer, according to a studio insider.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/05/jeopardy-reruns-start-date-last-new-original-episode-coronavirus/

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
The final week of new shows was recorded (not filmed) on March 11th.

Next week's Wheel of Fortune shows originally aired the week of Feb 17, 2020.

·
Registered
10,198 Posts
Here's When Jeopardy! Will Run Out of Original Episodes Due to COVID-19

By Michael Ausiello / June 5 2020, 10:52 AM PDT

Jeopardy! will soon be in all-encore mode.

TVLine has learned that the iconic Alex Trebek-hosted game show — which halted production roughy three months ago due to the coronavirus pandemic — will air its last original episode on Friday, June 12. Reruns begin airing on Monday, June 15 and will continue until the show deems it safe to resume production.

https://tvline.com/2020/06/05/jeopardy-reruns-start-date-last-new-original-episode-coronavirus/
I'm okay with that. Actually, I'd like to see this be the norm. Isn't it August before they shut everything down for the season, giving us a one month break between seasons.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The final week of new shows was recorded (not filmed) on March 11th.

Next week's Wheel of Fortune shows originally aired the week of Feb 17, 2020.
...and not "taped", either. Even they were announcing last week that the episodes "...were taped on [DATE]". They no longer use tape, correct?

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
I really do not know. Digital tape is still in use, AFAIK. That is why I use "recorded" instead of "taped."

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I'm okay with that. Actually, I'd like to see this be the norm. Isn't it August before they shut everything down for the season, giving us a one month break between seasons.
A normal Jeopardy! season runs 46 weeks. They record from August until April and air mid September until end of July. They rerun 3 tournaments the other 6 weeks. The last two seasons have not been "normal."

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
Even though Monday's show was a repeat, today's and tomorrow's show was recorded on 2/19/20.

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
As reported above, WoF will be airing a mixture of old and new. Well, tomorrow's show originally aired on 2/20/20.

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Alex Trebek Eager to Return to Jeopardy! Following COVID-19 Hiatus

By Michael Ausiello

This Friday, Jeopardy! will air its final original, pre-COVID-19 episode before entering into an indeterminate, potentially months-long period of reruns. That uncertainty surrounding the duration of the iconic game show’s hiatus is causing worry among fans that the June 12 outing could be the last for host Alex Trebek, who is in the midst of battling Stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

However, a Jeopardy! rep assures TVLine, “Alex is looking forward to resuming production as soon as we are able to do so. He’s told us he wants to be one of the first shows back in production.”

It was back in March that Jeopardy! confirmed it was suspending production (along with the rest of Hollywood) due to the coronavirus pandemic. Luckily, the syndicated phenom had pre-taped enough episodes to last well into spring. (Rebroadcasting the primetime Greatest of All Time tournament during the first two weeks of May helped postpone an all-encore slate.)

Just prior to the COVID shutdown, Trebek told reporters at the Television Critics Association winter press tour that he had no plans to sign off of the long-running quiz show “in the near future.” And in early March, he announced that he had beaten the one-year survival rate for the disease. “The one-year survival rate for Stage 4 pancreatic cancer patients is 18 percent,” he said. “I’m very happy to report that I have just reached that marker.”

https://tvline.com/2020/06/11/alex-trebek-final-jeopardy-last-episode-cancer/

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Jeopardy’s Alex Trebek won the Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Game Show host. “I’ll be honest with you this one is a shock, very surprising to me,” Trebek said in accepting his win, adding, “Speaking as one who has now been nominated 32 times and won 7 times, I think I can say with some degree of authority that winning is nicer.”

https://deadline.com/2020/06/daytime-emmy-awards-winners-2020-list-1202971038/

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Jeopardy! to Air Vintage Episodes for Month-Long Retrospective Series
By Rebecca Iannucci

This… is… retro Jeopardy!

The long-running quiz show, which has been in reruns since June 15 due to the coronavirus pandemic, will air a four-week retrospective series featuring episodes from way back in the archives.

Host Alex Trebek announced the retrospective in a new video (embedded below), which also included an update on his battle with pancreatic cancer. (“[My treatment] is paying off, though it has fatigued me a great deal,” Trebek shared. “My numbers are good. I’m feeling great.”)

The series begins Monday, July 20 and will feature 20 memorable installments from the show’s run, including the 1984 series premiere of its daily syndicated version.

“What is incredible about Jeopardy! is that it has historical importance while remaining culturally relevant today,” executive producer Mike Richards said in a statement. “I know our fans will love the nostalgia while still enjoying the gameplay. A lot has changed over the years – the set, the pace of the game…the mustache! – but the ability to play along is timeless.”

Here’s how the retrospective will play out:

July 20 to July 24: The best of Jeopardy!‘s first decade, featuring five exciting episodes from the 1980s (including the series premiere and the arrival of the show’s first “super-champion”).

July 27 to July 31: The best of Celebrity Jeopardy!, featuring five of the most entertaining celebrity games ever.

Aug. 3 to Aug. 14 (two weeks): An encore presentation of the 2002 “Million Dollar Masters” tournament, which featured 15 of the best contestants from the first 18 seasons of the show.

https://tvline.com/2020/07/16/jeopardy-retrospective-series-classic-episodes-reruns-alex-trebek/

·
Registered
14,335 Posts
Alex Trebek Says Cancer Treatment "Is Paying Off"

Trebek also revealed that he looks forward to returning to the studio to record new episodes of 'Jeopardy!' in September.
Alex Trebek gave fans and Jeopardy! viewers an uplifting health update via Twitter on Thursday morning. More than a year after the host was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, Trebek shared that he's doing just fine.

"I'm doing well. I've been continuing my treatment and it is paying off, though it fatigues me a great deal," he said on Twitter. "My numbers are good; I'm feeling great."

In March 2019, Trebek revealed his stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis. Upon his initial announcement, the Jeopardy host said he acknowledged the slim chances of a recovery at his stage. Since his diagnosis, Trebek has kept fans updated about his health.

On his journey to recovery, the TV personality previously shared that there were "moments of great pain," including attacks of depression and failing bodily functions. These low moments, he said in March 2020, made him question whether "it was really worth fighting on."

In his July announcement, Trebek brought attention to his upcoming book, The Answer Is… : Reflections on My Life, and special episodes in Jeopardy!'s July lineup. For the first time ever, Trebek said, Jeopardy will open up its archives to bring fans their favorite and most memorable episodes. Such episodes will include those with fan-favorite contestants and even the first Jeopardy! show Trebek hosted.

"I can't wait to return to the studio and start recording shows for the new season in September," the host said. "Meanwhile, my wish for all of you: stay safe."

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/alex-trebek-says-cancer-treatment-is-paying-1303435

(video message in link above)

·
Premium Member
8,965 Posts
Very interesting first show. As pointed out in the intro, contestants could ring in as soon as the clue was revealed. Corrected in season 2.

641 - 660 of 673 Posts