AVS Forum banner

701 - 720 of 723 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Thursday's Wheel of Fortune puzzle:

VISIONARY GENIUS

BTW, I got Jeopardy!'s Final Clue. Tune in to see if any of the contestants did.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Monday's Jeopardy! was recorded on 8/03/20 (8246). Monday's Wheel of Fortune was recorded on 8/20/20 (S-7241).

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
There is a clue regarding Doctor Who on Tuesday's show. Needless to say, I got this one right.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
As previously noted, it is too bad that the announcer that reads the slate info is never heard by the general public. Some times he gets clever with his voice, or other stuff. Here is another reading for Friday's show.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Next week's show's info:
Jeopardy! - 8251 8/04/20
Wheel of Fortune - S-7246 8/07/20

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Next week's show production dates:
Jeopardy! - 8256 - 8/17/20
Wheel of Fortune - S-7251 - 8/21/20

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Don't miss Friday's Jeopardy! That is all I can say without giving anything away.

I don't understand how players on Wheel of Fortune who land on Free Play, end up asking for a regular letter, only to turn around and then spend money on a vowel.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I don't understand how players on Wheel of Fortune who land on Free Play, end up asking for a regular letter, only to turn around and then spend money on a vowel.
free play consonants reward the player with $500 apiece. thus if you ask for "T" and there isn't one, no penalty, still your turn. but, if you ask for "T" and there is one or more and you then buy a vowel, you're up $250+.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
I don't understand people who hit express and then spin instead of getting on it. Spinning is the riskiest part of the game. If you can just call letters and win money without the risk of hitting lose a turn or bankrupt why wouldn't you?

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
free play consonants reward the player with $500 apiece. thus if you ask for "T" and there isn't one, no penalty, still your turn. but, if you ask for "T" and there is one or more and you then buy a vowel, you're up $250+.
But, if you ask for a vowel and it is there, you are ahead as you've filled in some more of the puzzle. If you buy a vowel and it isn't there, you're out $250. Better to try for the vowel for free and then spin for a consonant.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
I don't understand people who hit express and then spin instead of getting on it. Spinning is the riskiest part of the game. If you can just call letters and win money without the risk of hitting lose a turn or bankrupt why wouldn't you?
Ah, but you still risk the chance of a bankrupt. If it is early in the puzzle, you have a real risk of a bankrupt. If you just spin and call a missing letter, at least you keep what you have. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
During Tuesday’s episode of Jeopardy!, only one contestant — returning champ Kevin Walsh — made it to the “Final Jeopardy!” round after fellow players Natt Supab and Alex Switzky ended the regular portion of the game with a deficit and a zero balance...

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
Don't miss Friday's Jeopardy! That is all I can say without giving anything away.
Oops, I meant Tuesday's episode. :eek: There is another season first in Wednesday's episode.

·
Registered
131 Posts
But, if you ask for a vowel and it is there, you are ahead as you've filled in some more of the puzzle. If you buy a vowel and it isn't there, you're out $250. Better to try for the vowel for free and then spin for a consonant.
This is a moot point. It's the same as if you ask for a consonant and it is there: you are ahead as you've filled in some more of the puzzle.
In fact, by asking for a consonant, you get $500+, which you can use to buy the vowel and still be up a minimum of $250.

That being said, i don't think you can make a blanket statement either way.

Here's a scenario that may sway you to the dark side (i have others, but i can't goof off from work all day :giggle:)...

The puzzle has three words.
Category: What are you doing?
Word one currently ends with: (blank)N(blank)

Now you know damn well that the first (blank) is "I" and the last one is "G" (It's "What are you doing", they ALL have one word ending in "ING" :eek:)

You land on free play.
If you ask for the "G", you get at least $500.
Then you can buy the "I" and still be up at least $250.

Now, you've added more letters to the puzzle than just the vowel. At least one, but maybe more. And maybe now you even know the answer.

If you would have simply requested a free play "I", you don't get money, you don't see other potential "G"s. Less info to help you solve.

You would now have to risk a spin to be able to ask for "G".

Now it's possible that you could land on something more lucrative than the $500 that the free play "G" would have given you.

But, it's also possible that you could land on Lose Your Turn or Bankrupt.

Oh, I forgot to mention, you already have 10K in your pot, and you just want to solve the damn thing without having to risk that spin.

Certainly makes sense to me in this scenario to ask for a Free Play consonant and then buy a vowel that you know (99.9%) are there.

·
Registered
17,485 Posts
This is a moot point. It's the same as if you ask for a consonant and it is there: you are ahead as you've filled in some more of the puzzle.
In fact, by asking for a consonant, you get $500+, which you can use to buy the vowel and still be up a minimum of $250.

That being said, i don't think you can make a blanket statement either way.

Here's a scenario that may sway you to the dark side (i have others, but i can't goof off from work all day :giggle:)...

The puzzle has three words.
Category: What are you doing?
Word one currently ends with: (blank)N(blank)

Now you know damn well that the first (blank) is "I" and the last one is "G" (It's "What are you doing", they ALL have one word ending in "ING" :eek:)

You land on free play.
If you ask for the "G", you get at least $500.
Then you can buy the "I" and still be up at least $250.

Now, you've added more letters to the puzzle than just the vowel. At least one, but maybe more. And maybe now you even know the answer.

If you would have simply requested a free play "I", you don't get money, you don't see other potential "G"s. Less info to help you solve.

You would now have to risk a spin to be able to ask for "G".

Now it's possible that you could land on something more lucrative than the $500 that the free play "G" would have given you.

But, it's also possible that you could land on Lose Your Turn or Bankrupt.

Oh, I forgot to mention, you already have 10K in your pot, and you just want to solve the damn thing without having to risk that spin.

Certainly makes sense to me in this scenario to ask for a Free Play consonant and then buy a vowel that you know (99.9%) are there.
I just don't want to have to buy the ceramic Dalmatian at the end....nobody really wants the ceramic Dalmatian.

·
Premium Member
9,202 Posts
701 - 720 of 723 Posts