AVS Forum banner

781 - 800 of 803 Posts

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Ken was fine. He "gets it." He understands that the game is the star, and the only way to really screw things up is to get between the star and the audience. He was clear, relaxed, cheerful. He had good rhythm. About as good a first episode as one could imagine.

I'm sure other guest hosts will do as well. Alex set the stage, created the model. It's not to emulate him, it's to stay focused on the game.

·
Premium Member
9,317 Posts
Ken was fine. He "gets it." He understands that the game is the star, and the only way to really screw things up is to get between the star and the audience.
Watch Ken's intro in Tuesday's show. I think he is doing a great job.

·
Registered
17,150 Posts
I miss Alex already. Ken did just fine but it did not feel like Jeopardy. Jeopardy isn't Jeopardy without Alex.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
I played Jeopardy on Alexa after watching like I usually do and they were still using Alex's voice for the intro and parts of the game. The aswer has always been read by Alexa. For those that don't know you get the 6th Clue in this and you can play "J!6" on the website as well as Alexa and Google. On the smart speakers you have to provide the Question, on the website it's multiple choice.

·
Registered
17,150 Posts
Anyone catch the new The Chase with Ken as one of the "brains" to beat? I prefer the original over this new one for sure. I didn't think Ken did that good on here (at least this one episode), curious to see how the other "Brains" do.

Host Sara Haines and the Chasers, Ken Jennings, Brad Rutter and James Holzhauer, introduce the new prime-time trivia game show, "The Chase," THURSDAY 9|8c on ABC.

Introducing The Chase - The Chase

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Jeopardy! Taps NFL Star Aaron Rodgers as Latest Interim Guest Host

The most difficult part of being a Jeopardy host is being able to read the answers without a hiccup. I sure hope Aaron is able to pull that off.

I thought Ken was fine. He did choke up during the intro but was able to make it through.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
^^^
That would be a huge mistake. In today's volatile political atmosphere, where in some circles CNN is viewed as an enemy, it would be divisive and turn off a lot of viewers. Don't even go there, please.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
^^^
as long as she's a good host I don't think her affiliation with CNN will matter much beyond the initial reaction...I'm betting most people won't even know she works for CNN without looking it up...her News background will help as you get the sense she's a smart person...you need someone smart to host Jeopardy

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
^^^
That would be a huge mistake. In today's volatile political atmosphere, where in some circles CNN is viewed as an enemy, it would be divisive and turn off a lot of viewers. Don't even go there, please.
The characterization of journalists as enemies must be rejected and resisted at every turn, else our society is lost.

·
Registered
14,450 Posts
I think Ken Jennings was being groomed as Trebek's replacement but then all those old tweets resurfaced which pretty much killed any chance of Jennings ever getting the full time hosting gig...I think one of his old tweets went something like this-- There's nothing sadder then a hot girl in a wheelchair

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
What I’m seeing is the plan that was announced — a series of guest hosts beginning with Jennings — being implemented.

The fact that Jennings never tweeted anything that couldn’t be reprinted in full in a mainstream newspaper indicates the relative inoffensiveness of his occasionally weird sense of humor. Oh, and he said “person,” not “girl,” so even that’s not cancelable.

While there’s no indication that Jennings wants to be permanent host or that he’s being considered, I’m quite certain audience reaction to his six week guest run will have a lot more to say about it that some twit-in-a-teapot Internet outrage.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I think Ken did a fine job. Alex had such a clear, distinguished voice with no accent of any kind. Comparing that to Ken is hard to get around. But they are different people. Aside from that, Ken was fine. I'm not sure about Katie Couric.

·
Registered
17,150 Posts
Jeopardy!: Mayim Bialik, Bill Whitaker Added to Game Show's Guest Host Rotation as Full Roster Is Revealed
By Michael Ausiello

Sheldon is gonna be so jealous!

Big Bang Theory alum Mayim Bialik (currently starring in Fox’s Call Me Kat) will serve as one of Jeopardy!‘s rotating guest hosts, EP Mike Richards announced on Wednesday. 60 Minutes‘ Bill Whitaker has also joined the interim guest host roster that thus far includes former Today co-anchor Katie Couric, NFL star Aaron Rodgers and the current temporary emcee, Ken Jennings.

Per a Jeopardy! rep, as part of each guest host’s appearance, a donation will be made to a charity of their choice. The amount donated will equal the cumulative winnings of the contestants that compete during the weeks they serve as guest host.

“Alex was a legend, revered by all of us,” said Richards in a statement. “I want to thank our guest hosts, who will not only help all of us celebrate his great legacy, but also bring their own touch to the show.”

Jennings was the first guest host to step in for the late Alex Trebek, whose final episode aired on Jan. 8. In his debut on Monday, the GOAT Jeopardy! contestant fought back tears while discussing Trebek’s legacy. “Like all Jeopardy! fans, I miss Alex very much,” he told viewers at the top of the show. “And I thank him for everything he did for all of us. Let’s be totally clear: No one will ever replace the great Alex Trebek. But we can honor him by playing the game he loved.” (Watch video of Jennings’ message here.)

A permanent host is expected to be named later this year.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
I'm going out on a limb and say this is between Ken and Katie. None of the other guest hosts are going to give up their gigs to host Jeopardy. We're so used to seeing males behind the podium, so it'll be an adjustment seeing and hearing a female. We'll see how well Katie comes across. She's always had a pleasant personality and a really cute smile, so that goes a long way.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
I would think age is a factor, if they’re looking for someone who can do ten or 20 years as a permanent host. Katie and Bill Whitaker are both in their 60s. Ken and Mayim are in their 40s, as was Alex when he started on the show. Rogers is 37, but... really?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Rogers is 37, but... really?
Why not? Rolf Benirschke did Wheel of Fortune for about half a year (daytime version). Never know.....:ROFLMAO:

781 - 800 of 803 Posts