AVS Forum banner

861 - 880 of 899 Posts

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Watch Sting perform his own revamped version of the Jeopardy theme song

After a whole category of Sting-related questions on Thursday's episode, the musician also provided his version of the show's iconic music.

By Christian Holub

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I truly cannot believe Dr. Oz will be hosting the show for 2 weeks starting Monday. He is the exact antithesis of everything good, proper, and true of Alex Trebek. I'm sure I will watch on Monday tuning him out as much as I can, but if he is really unbearable, I'm going to have to give the rest of the two weeks a pass. And if he is chosen as the new Jeopardy host, I'm done.

Your Obedient Servant
SMK

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I've already posted my plan to avoid the Oz episodes. But let's not get overwrought about these guest hosts. They are not auditioning. Most of them have other jobs that would preclude hosting this show. Most of them know -- and so should we -- that they are not "candidates." They are hosting for charity, while the producers work to provide distance between Trebek and the new host, whoever that is. So that the new host doesn't live in the shadow of Alex, but rather, if comparisons must be made, in contrast to a whole range of people with different competencies and styles.

It's a very smart approach. Whoever the new host is, they will be able to start fresh.

·
Registered
15,779 Posts
Jeopardy Fans Outraged By Guest Host Dr. Oz: “The Most Disgraceful Disrespect to Alex’s Legacy”

His controversial past and questionable science didn’t sit well with fans, who lashed out at the show for choosing the notorious doctor to guest host a series based entirely on facts

former Jeopardy contestants chimed in too, including Kristin Sausville, Louis Virtel, and Sam Deutch. “I’m adding my voice to the Jeopardy! contestants expressing that we are not ok with Dr. Oz being given the honor of a guest host role,” Sausville tweeted in Febraury, when Dr. Oz’s name was first added to the list of guest hosts. “Jeopardy! celebrates knowledge and facts and Dr. Oz has largely broken from that in his medical advice.”...

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
I actually figured out tomorrow's (3/23/21) Wheel of Fortune final puzzle. I do not get them very often. Let me know if you figured it out as well.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Jeopardy!fans join 500 past contestants in slamming 'dangerous' Dr. Oz hosting gig

Scores of fans have joined hundreds of ex-Jeopardy! contestants opposing Dr. Oz's temporary hosting gig, citing his recent response to COVID as harmful to viewers.

According to Jeopardy! fans, the show's decision to hire Dr. Mehmet Oz as a temporary host falls into the category of "dangerous."

Scores of viewers have joined over 500 past competitors in calling for the removal of the controversial figure from his post as one of many hosts set to fill in for the late Alex Trebek, citing Oz's response to the COVID-19 pandemic and alleged dispersion of misleading medical advice as the antithesis to the game show's spirit.

"Dr. Oz spreads dangerous medical misinformation for profit," wrote one user, while another added: "I'm writing, not to be snarky, but to sincerely register my objection to this show associating its long-established identity of fact-based knowledge with a man whose stature has become increasingly dependent on dangerous pseudo-science. Jeopardy is very important to me."

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
The shows have already been taped and it's not like he is writing the clues; plus he and Alex were friends. He was decent as the host last night.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
‘Jeopardy!’ Loses Top Ratings Spot for the First Time Since Alex Trebek’s Final Episodes

Second week with Katie Couric as guest host slips 5% from previous week
Tim Baysinger

“Jeopardy!” ratings dropped another 5% in Katie Couric’s second week as guest host, falling behind “Family Feud” to finish second for the first time since Alex Trebek’s last episodes.

“Jeopardy!” finished with a 5.3 household rating, while “Family Feud” led the week ending March 21 with a 5.4 rating.

Couric was the game show’s first-ever female host. On March 8, she took the baton from “Jeopardy!” executive producer Mike Richards, who himself grabbed it from the game’s legendary champion and current consulting producer Ken Jennings. Next up on the show’s guest-hosting rotation was Dr. Oz, who began his run last week (though many were not pleased he got the gig at all). We’ll know how he stacked up next week.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
‘Jeopardy!’ Loses Top Ratings Spot for the First Time Since Alex Trebek’s Final Episodes

Second week with Katie Couric as guest host slips 5% from previous week
I guess my watching the show via my BUD doesn't count in the ratings. :eek:

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Jeopardy!fans join 500 past contestants in slamming 'dangerous' Dr. Oz hosting gig

Scores of fans have joined hundreds of ex-Jeopardy! contestants opposing Dr. Oz's temporary hosting gig, citing his recent response to COVID as harmful to viewers.

According to Jeopardy! fans, the show's decision to hire Dr. Mehmet Oz as a temporary host falls into the category of "dangerous."

Scores of viewers have joined over 500 past competitors in calling for the removal of the controversial figure from his post as one of many hosts set to fill in for the late Alex Trebek, citing Oz's response to the COVID-19 pandemic and alleged dispersion of misleading medical advice as the antithesis to the game show's spirit.

"Dr. Oz spreads dangerous medical misinformation for profit," wrote one user, while another added: "I'm writing, not to be snarky, but to sincerely register my objection to this show associating its long-established identity of fact-based knowledge with a man whose stature has become increasingly dependent on dangerous pseudo-science. Jeopardy is very important to me."

I finally remembered to look up his Health Corps that he touts (and the producers donate to) on the show. Here's the website:
Home

I was scanning it for any questionable snake oil. Most of it looks sensible and conforms to current health knowledge. But then, I found this (admittedly old) quote from Oz, before he was grilled in the Senate:
'Dr. Oz, stated, “We need to develop a Smart Patient model to integrate complementary and alternative medical approaches with conventional medical treatments and encourage Americans to assume more personal responsibility in safeguarding their health. I favor a health system that promotes a culture of wellness with access to healthful foods for the population at large.”' That makes me worry.

·
Registered
20,243 Posts
Wheel of Fortune fans slam show rule after contestant loses due to technicality

By Tyler Aquilina

While its sister show Jeopardy is better known as a pedant's paradise (misspeaking or misspelling has long been known to sink contestants), every now and then Wheel of Fortune gets in on the action.

Fans of the long-running game show are up in arms over a technicality that came into play on Wednesday's episode. To solve the show's crossword puzzles (typically a series of four words) correctly, contestants are not allowed to say "and" when listing the words. This rule has cost players the win on more than one occasion, including on Wednesday, when contestant David Pederson became its latest victim while solving a puzzle in the category "Catch of the Day."

"Don't add anything," host Pat Sajak warned Pederson, who then answered, "Sole, flounder, cod, and catfish," which Sajak ruled incorrect. Another contestant then answered correctly by listing the same fish but omitting "and."

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
This happens a lot. Fans should be used to it by now. The contestant who did list the fish, didn't notice that the guy added "and." It is a rule that every contestant knows and as pointed out, Pat warned him. Live with it.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts

·
Registered
5,092 Posts
I find Aaron Rodgers' voice to be a little dull. Not that he is doing a bad job, just not enough excitement in it. He is certainly enjoying having a champion from the same college as his though.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Rogers is pleasant and inoffensive, but lacks the skills and the ease to do this job. His public speaking voice is stiff, unrefined, and inexpressive. This will be a tough two weeks to get through, but it’s better that the previous two, which I didn’t watch because criminal quack.

·
Premium Member
9,505 Posts
Reference 4/09/21 shows:

Aaron Rodgers needs to learn how to correctly pronounce Glasgow.

On Wheel of Fortune, I correctly figured out the final puzzle even before the contestant's letters were revealed. You should be able to as well.

861 - 880 of 899 Posts