AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got some information that the blue ray laser players will start mass production beginning next year. Their most costly item was blue~violet diodes which currently sell at $1,000 each.

If they do hit the market sometime next year I hope Toshiba wins out because they will be backwards compatible discs not discs inside inserts which will not be backwards compatible from the down right *greedy* blu-ray consortium, who don't want to call them DVD discs; so they don't have to pay royalties to those who own the DVD patent?

My question is if they start making the blue and start selling the blue, will Red Laser discs still sell new movies and concerts? Vcr has taken a back set, yet most of the titles are still available for them.

What's your opinion?:)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I bet it will take a long time before blue replaces red. After a while, the movie industry will want the extra capacity to properly display their wares. The software industry will want to fit their games and other software on a single disk, so they will start to offer the blue laser option.

It wasn't until cheap dvd players ($50) and multi-purpose devices (xbox/ps2) came around that dvds really gained momentum. I can only imagine how long it will be before that happens for blue laser disks.

Still, I think it will eventually happen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.