AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching these cables, and they seem to exist at all price ranges, everyone claims theirs is the best and cites a bunch of statistics but I don't know how to compare.

What are the important things to look for to know it will put out a decent image to an HDTV? For example I know I want 75 ohms on all lines. But some use 75 ohm coax on the RGB lines and twisted pair on the HV, some use Coax on all 5.

I guess I don't understand what makes a $90 cable better than a $25 one, if they are all 75 ohm and gold plated. I don't wanna pay 2x as much if there is no appreciable quality difference (AKA monster type cables)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Different cables have different rates of signal loss over a given distance. Different cables also have different bandwidth limitations, resulting in rolloff of the higher frequencies. Not to mention quality of the sheilding, density of the braid, foil wrapper, etc.

How long are you trying to run the cable?

Ideally, the "best" cable would be 75 ohm RG-6 coax (e.g. Canare L5-CFB or Belden 1694A), using the RG-6 coax for all 5 signal lines. RG-6 is some pretty stiff stuff, and generally runs around 35 cents a foot, so $1.75/foot for an RGBHV cable.

BNC termination adds to the cost, the connectors are at least a few bucks each.

On shorter runs, you can use lower quality cable (that isn't RG-6). This will have a higher capitance per foot, and a lower bandwidth, resulting in rolloff on the higher frequencies. RG-59 is good because its a little thinner than RG-6, and more flexible, but isn't quite as good of a signal cable.

I'd stay away from a cable that uses twisted pair for the sync lines.

If you just want a good cable, try http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rgbhv/index.htm. Their prices are pretty close to the actual costs of the materials, and they only use top of the line equipment - basically what the studios who made the video use. $90 for a 2 foot long HD15->RGBHV isn't bad IMHO, but they themselves recommend a $25 HD15->RGBHV for a 2 foot interconnect as well. (Longer runs would be 5 channel coax BNC->BNC.)

Lots of folks here go with $20 breakout cables and seem to be happy. I've got a 30 foot run, and specifically chose to use RG-6 cable rather than "whatever the vendor puts in". :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
I use an IXOS cable. It cost me $30 or $40 and works quite well.

Usually, the more expensive the cable, the better the components. Connector, conductor, shielding, and build quality usually increase as the price of the cable goes up. Whether that equates to better picture or sound to your eyes and ears is up to you to decide.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
Different cables have different rates of signal loss over a given distance. Different cables also have different bandwidth limitations, resulting in rolloff of the higher frequencies. Not to mention quality of the sheilding, density of the braid, foil wrapper, etc.

How long are you trying to run the cable?

Ideally, the "best" cable would be 75 ohm RG-6 coax (e.g. Canare L5-CFB or Belden 1694A), using the RG-6 coax for all 5 signal lines. RG-6 is some pretty stiff stuff, and generally runs around 35 cents a foot, so $1.75/foot for an RGBHV cable.

BNC termination adds to the cost, the connectors are at least a few bucks each.

On shorter runs, you can use lower quality cable (that isn't RG-6). This will have a higher capitance per foot, and a lower bandwidth, resulting in rolloff on the higher frequencies. RG-59 is good because its a little thinner than RG-6, and more flexible, but isn't quite as good of a signal cable.

I'd stay away from a cable that uses twisted pair for the sync lines.

If you just want a good cable, try http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/rgbhv/index.htm. Their prices are pretty close to the actual costs of the materials, and they only use top of the line equipment - basically what the studios who made the video use. $90 for a 2 foot long HD15->RGBHV isn't bad IMHO, but they themselves recommend a $25 HD15->RGBHV for a 2 foot interconnect as well. (Longer runs would be 5 channel coax BNC->BNC.)

Lots of folks here go with $20 breakout cables and seem to be happy. I've got a 30 foot run, and specifically chose to use RG-6 cable rather than "whatever the vendor puts in". :)
Sounds like the longer the run, the higher quality you need. I am using my laptop as a 'transportable' HTPC, so I only need the ability to place the laptop down and reach the back of the TV's, and I am not looking for videophile quality... if others have been happy with $25 cables, maybe this would be fine for me for such a short run.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
get bluejeanscable.com cables

they are cheap AND ARE THE BEST.

but make sure you buy the breakout cable made by them, because they also sell a third-party one NOT made by them.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The breakout they make is about ~$100. The 3rd party one is about $25. If you read their site, they feel that for the money, the $25 cable gives the same picture as the $100 cable they make. So its really up to you how much you care about the picture, as bluejeanscable doesn't think there's a noticable difference.

With a 2' long cable, there really won't be much of a difference. Since the original poster doesn't care so much about image quality as not paying too much for a cable, I recommended the $25 one instead. ;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I figure, since I will be using this primarily for playing stuff like Divx which already has some quality loss to DVD, having the 'abolsute best' quality isn't needed since the source won't be the best. For regular DVD's its just easier to pop em in the standalone DVD player for 480p. Maybe once the market starts pushing 1080i DVD's there will be a reason to invest in a full out HTPC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.