AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what 5.1 receivers were some of the first ones that came with built in variable crossover. I have Boston Micro 90x speakers that I want to use for my main speakers in my rec room surround sound set up, but the yamaha receiver I have from the late 90's doesn't have a variable crossover, just stuck at 90 hertz when I need it to cross over the Bostons at 120 hertz and send everything below that to my subwoofer. I don't need a lot in a receiver, just need to find out what used receivers I should be looking at that have built in variable crossovers that go up to 120 hertz as a cut off frequency.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I thought that the feature became common with Dolby Digital decoding receivers. I could be wrong though.

Did THX mandate the feature in their certified receivers?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
You may wish to look at the Onkyo lineup, both current and recent past. The Onks' allow for individual crossover's per pair group, fronts, surrounds, etc., much better than the one xover fits all. IIRC, they go from 40 to 200Hz.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Why are you worried about when they first started providing variable crossovers in receivers. You can get refurbs that are 1 or more model years old for $100ish with warranty. I don't think you're going to beat that much going back to such a dated receiver that doesn't have a warranty.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/17040142

Why are you worried about when they first started providing variable crossovers in receivers. You can get refurbs that are 1 or more model years old for $100ish with warranty. I don't think you're going to beat that much going back to such a dated receiver that doesn't have a warranty.

I wasn't aware that I could find refurbs that new for around $100, any direction on where I should start looking online?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by superedge88 /forum/post/17040287

I wasn't aware that I could find refurbs that new for around $100, any direction on where I should start looking online?

My first look would be on Ebay from seller seller harmanaudio which is the HK direct sellers name on ebay. Either the 147 or 247. The 147 has went recently for as little as $100 and the 247 around $150. Normally they go for a few bucks more but if you're willing to seek out each auction you can get it for that. HK direct receivers come with full 2 year factory warranty.

Accessories4less and sometimes shoponkyo carry the Onkyo 304 refurbished which is a somewhat less featured receiver than the HKs but still a good budget 5.1 receiver that comes with 1 year factory warranty for around $100.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts