AVS Forum banner

When did you notice the bad black levels on YOUR television?

• Right away, no question in my mind about it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Thought they were pretty bad, and these posts confirmed it

• Thought blacks were normal, but now i think they are bad b/c of posts

• no suspicion, but seeing this posts makes me think something is probably CURRENTLY wrong

• My black levels are awesome...no complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious when everyone noticed their bad black levels...People are coming out of the woodworks with all kinds of issues, and just curious what started it all. Please answer with the response that best fits you, and explain if necessary

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts
What bad black levels?

Is this about the Samsungs?

·
Registered
714 Posts
My blacks are awesome!!!!! 1100 hours and running..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is supposed to be a panasonic thing in case people werent sure, but other responders are fine too. Just say your model and make so we know.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
54G10 #1 - After the tech left that night I noticed the blacks were brighter but didn't look too much into it. (swapped it for another G10 due to bad DSE)

54G10 #2 - Paid a lot more attention to this one, I noticed the first of the "normal" black level rises and reported it here (not knowing that it was normal at the time), later on I noticed a second rise in blacks, it was swapped for a 54V10 shortly after that. (I may have missed one of the rises as well, they were subtle but noticable)

54V10 - After a few weeks I suffered the sudden jump to the final black levels.

I was done with Panasonic after that and I am currently trying to decide what I should get instead, and it isn't easy now that Panasonic is out of the question. (I will never buy another one of their Plasma sets ever again) I'm not sure if I am going to get a 50b550 plasma or a 52b550 LCD from Samsung just yet, but there isn't much stuff availible right now for me to choose from.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
New owner of a Panasonic 50X1 , i will admit that the blacks were not as good as i was expecting considering all i had heard about the inky blacks on even this lowly model TV

that being said I'm very happy with the picture and the black levels are still great none the less. easily much better and more consistent that LCD's

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/18147344

54G10 #1 - After the tech left that night I noticed the blacks were brighter but didn't look too much into it. (swapped it for another G10 due to bad DSE)

54G10 #2 - Paid a lot more attention to this one, I noticed the first of the "normal" black level rises and reported it here (not knowing that it was normal at the time), later on I noticed a second rise in blacks, it was swapped for a 54V10 shortly after that. (I may have missed one of the rises as well, they were subtle but noticable)

I was done with Panasonic after that and I am currently trying to decide what I should get instead, and it isn't easy now that Panasonic is out of the question. (I will never buy another one of their Plasma sets ever again) I'm not sure if I am going to get a 50b550 plasma or a 52b550 LCD from Samsung just yet, but there isn't much stuff availible right now for me to choose from.

srsly...i agree. Now that panasonic is bad, i dont know what to trust. They were far and away the fav until the black issues based on these forums

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/18147344

go get those samsungs... you will get no better performance in black levels...you just can not be pleased.. thats why they make Kuros...you have to pay the price to get what you want.. my parents have the 52b550 and its terrible with blacks... almost purple.. and even with the rise, the panny probably still has better blacks then the 550 plasma...

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
interesting response so far...by far and away most people signed in to th idea that they didnt notice a problem, or they havent had one. Only 16 votes, but still interesting

·
Registered
571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner /forum/post/18147506

go get those samsungs... you will get no better performance in black levels...you just can not be pleased.. thats why they make Kuros...you have to pay the price to get what you want.. my parents have the 52b550 and its terrible with blacks... almost purple.. and even with the rise, the panny probably still has better blacks then the 550 plasma...

Isn't a 52b550 the lcd model?

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner /forum/post/18147506

I only have 1 rule when it comes to HDTVs, I want a set with no obvious visual/audible flaws that distract from the content on screen. That seems to be impossible now. (And yes, I had a 9g Kuro, a 5020. It had very loud buzz, strong ABL, and severe DSE, I returned it because I couldn't enjoy what I was watching thanks to the obvious flaws (especially the buzzing in my ear and constant dimming of the bright scenes)

This black rise on these Panasonic's is completely unacceptable and every owner should be demanding a full refund after hearing what Panasonic said about the blacks. This is the worst fraud that I have ever seen in the HDTV industry in the 5 years that I have followed it, it makes Sharp's banding problems look like a minor issue in comparison. (the Panasonic sets stabilize around .025 based on those sets that have had all the adjustments happen at once, a far cry from the near Kuro levels they start out at (.006 to .008)

The sets that have had the blacks rise look like you are letting the sunshine hit the screen, they look like complete crap. If the blacks hadn't risen, then I would still have a 54G10 in my family room, It is Panasonic's own fault that I was forced to get a refund on this set. (If you can't tell, I am very angry about this, I honestly thought that the G10 was going to be my final set, it had the PQ I was looking for, I was happy with it, but this black level sabotage ruined Panasonic in my eyes, probably for good, it feels weird going from one of their biggest fans to being one of their most vocal critics....)

I might give the Panasonic tech I had been dealing with a call and get his opinion about what Panasonic has said, especially since he has been 100% honest with me through the whole thing, it should be interesting...

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerv6 /forum/post/18147587

Isn't a 52b550 the lcd model?

i was referring to LCD for the purple look.. that is what my parents have. The last comment was just to go off what he was saying about the sammy plasma.. to be dead honest, samsung might be a 1000 times worse with issues than panasoinc... horror stories galour are everywhere. they sell on looks not quality.

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/18147759

I only have 1 rule when it comes to HDTVs, I want a set with no obvious visual/audible flaws that distract from the content on screen. That seems to be impossible now. (And yes, I had a 9g Kuro, a 5020. It had very loud buzz, strong ABL, and severe DSE, I returned it because I couldn't enjoy what I was watching thanks to the obvious flaws (especially the buzzing in my ear and constant dimming of the bright scenes)

This black rise on these Panasonic's is completely unacceptable and every owner should be demanding a full refund after hearing what Panasonic said about the blacks. This is the worst fraud that I have ever seen in the HDTV industry in the 5 years that I have followed it, it makes Sharp's banding problems look like a minor issue in comparison. (the Panasonic sets stabilize around .025 based on those sets that have had all the adjustments happen at once, a far cry from the near Kuro levels they start out at (.006 to .008)

The sets that have had the blacks rise look like you are letting the sunshine hit the screen, they look like complete crap. If the blacks hadn't risen, then I would still have a 54G10 in my family room, It is Panasonic's own fault that I was forced to get a refund on this set. (If you can't tell, I am very angry about this, I honestly thought that the G10 was going to be my final set, it had the PQ I was looking for, I was happy with it, but this black level sabotage ruined Panasonic in my eyes, probably for good, it feels weird going from one of their biggest fans to being one of their most vocal critics....)

I might give the Panasonic tech I had been dealing with a call and get his opinion about what Panasonic has said, especially since he has been 100% honest with me through the whole thing, it should be interesting...

im sorry but no TV will ever be good for you and it seems like you just like to complain.. the g10 never has had inky blacks like a Kuro. I have excellent blacks on my v10 but its glows with no input.. who cares about no input.. are you the girl from poltergeist.. you went through 3 pannys and you have never shown pictures or readings.. your hours to when its happen do not match a lot of peoples with actual readings.. what panasonic claimed is not the issue.. they stated it will rise with not being able to be noticed over years.. the issue with doubling and tripling happens with the voltage adjustments that happen at 600 hours and on...those with that have defective panels.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner /forum/post/18147852

im sorry but no TV will ever be good for you and it seems like you just like to complain.. the g10 never has had inky blacks like a Kuro. I have excellent blacks on my v10 but its glows with no input.. who cares about no input.. are you the girl from poltergeist.. you went through 3 pannys and you have never shown pictures or readings.. your hours to when its happen do not match a lot of peoples with actual readings.. what panasonic claimed is not the issue.. they stated it will rise with not being able to be noticed over years.. the issue with doubling and tripling happens with the voltage adjustments that happen at 600 hours and on...those with that have defective panels.

Why are you defending Panasonic like your life depends on it?

Is a TV with no visible defects really too much to ask for?

Before the black rise, I considered the 54V10 a keeper, I loved it. Especially with a 60watt d65k bulb behind the set at night, it really did look like a 8g Kuro, after the jump the bulb didn't improve the perceived black level one bit. It looked like the brightness setting had been maxed out, just like my 42px75 looks like now.

And yes I am aware that some sets do make the jump all at once while the rest take years to reach those same levels, both cases of black rise are unacceptable and should be classified as defects. Don't defend a company that openly talks about purposefully designing their products to get worse over time.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
You will never find a perfect TV. no such thing exists

all displays produce some level of light when given black. how much light and what color it looks like is what will vary and as long as your staring at a black screen with no input or enjoy watching credits roll at the end of a movie I really do not see the problem with Panasonic's plasmas even if the black level elevates its still no worse than the competition and beats LCD's purple/blue blacks/dark grays and LCD's shift in overall contrast when not viewing them straight on all the time

as others have said if you want the blackest blacks spend the extra on a Kuro otherwise i would go see a movie in a theater and come back here and tell me that blacks were black in a theater because they are not!

·
Registered
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON /forum/post/18148261

Why are you defending Panasonic like your life depends on it?

Is a TV with no visible defects really too much to ask for?

Before the black rise, I considered the 54V10 a keeper, I loved it. Especially with a 60watt d65k bulb behind the set at night, it really did look like a 8g Kuro, after the jump the bulb didn't improve the perceived black level one bit. It looked like the brightness setting had been maxed out, just like my 42px75 looks like now.

And yes I am aware that some sets do make the jump all at once while the rest take years to reach those same levels, both cases of black rise are unacceptable and should be classified as defects. Don't defend a company that openly talks about purposefully designing their products to get worse over time.

why buy all these TV's after one black level problem when you could have bought an elite or 500m and solved all your issues..all tvs have issues and that will never change so if your looking for a perfect TV you will be on this forum until your 80 years old. Panasonic stated that there sets will give a great picture for years and years so I dont know where you came up with your last sentence. If its a small rise like they say you CANT notice it... if you have a defective panel then you should get it fixed... i just cant not see you getting 3 defective panels in a row...its just seems that you will never be pleased and you somewhat enjoy not liking things.. thats my 2 cents..im not talking to you face to face but from what I read on here thats what I get..

·
Registered
9,590 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpresner /forum/post/18148870

why buy all these TV's after one black level problem when you could have bought an elite or 500m and solved all your issues..all tvs have issues and that will never change so if your looking for a perfect TV you will be on this forum until your 80 years old. Panasonic stated that there sets will give a great picture for years and years so I dont know where you came up with your last sentence. If its a small rise like they say you CANT notice it... if you have a defective panel then you should get it fixed... i just cant not see you getting 3 defective panels in a row...its just seems that you will never be pleased and you somewhat enjoy not liking things.. thats my 2 cents..im not talking to you face to face but from what I read on here thats what I get..

And again you defend Panasonic.... Like I said, any rise in blacks should be classified as defective, because the end result is a crap picture, that is where I got that last sentence, don't believe the PR crap that Panasonic is saying, the picture quality is anything but excellent and that you can easily notice the rise in blacks.

I was very happy with the 54G10/54V10, until the black levels rose that is, so it is Panasonic's fault that I had to get a refund on 3 defective sets. As for the Pioneer's, I had one remember, it wasn't an elite, but I wasn't forking out another $1,000 for the same problems I had with the 5020.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.