AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of a few days ago, my area now has the situation where two different RF channels (KRCB RF 23 and KAXT RF 42) are using the same virtual channel number 22.

KRCB has three subchannels - 22.1 to 22.3. KAXT has 15 (!) subchannels. (22.1 to 22.12 video, and 22.101 to 22.103 are audio-only.) When I update scanned the CM-7000s, they replaced all the KRCB subchannels with the KAXT ones. So now I can't get KRCB - even though it is on a different RF channel.

Interestingly, when I entered RF 42 on my old Samsung SIR-T451, which is a full HD converter - not a CECB, it split the difference. KRCB remains on 22.1 - 22.3, and KAXT follows on 22.4 onwards. So I can't get the first three KAXT subchannels on it...

This is annoying. It would be interesting to know how other CECBs handle the situation.

·
Registered
408 Posts
This isn't ever supposed to happen in theory, so it's no surprise that the boxes can't figure it out. I haven't pulled up the FCC info on them, but even just using their studio addresses, the 2 stations are only about 100 miles apart. It's surprising that they'd allow both of them to use 22 still.

Then again, it's good enough for government work, right?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Between myself and my parrents we have two similar situations. Both using Zenith DTT901

Mine WHP-21 RF-21 and WVPY-42 RF-21, If i do a scan to get WVPY-42 when I turn the antenna to get WHP-21, I have to enter 42-X then it remaps to 21, If I go back to WVPY I can no longer enter 42-X I have to enter 21-X then it remaps to 42.

My Parents WGAL-8 RF-8 and W08EE-"WNPB-24" RF-8, When I scan for channels, It handles it as it should WGAL maps to 8-1 and 8-2, if I do an and on scan for WNPB it maps 24-1, 24-2, 24-3, but still retain the origional 8-1 and 8-2.

This does pose a very interesting problem, we also have two channels on RF-36, in different directions, but the signals are strong enough to cancel each other out, so we get neither.

I still can't figure out why they would allow to channels so close together on the same RF or Virtual Channel, I'm glad to know I'm not the only are with this problem.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Similar but different, in D/FW one problematic upper VHF station (virtual CH 11 on RF CH 11) added a UHF freq to resolve the problem but didn't eliminate the VHF freq. So now my Zinwell has two virtual CH 11s (I guess take my pick depending on the weather - LOL). My Channel Master only picked up and/or displayed one of the two channels and I don't have a clue which one (I can't find any display of the freq).

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
You might try a CM7000 for this problem. Last winter a station transitioned early, and set up test virtual channels. The DTVPal dropped the test virtual channel about a week later, but the CM held on and had to be trick into clearing the mapping before a full scan would fix the test virtual channels.

So when June 12 came, I decided to start with a supplemental scan, just to see what it would do with the channels that were changing frequency.

For channels moving to a new RF not currently in my channel list, the CM7000 mapped the virtual frequency to the new RF, but it also retained the virtual channel mapping to the old RF. I ended up with six sets of duplicate virtual channels. When I tuned to the 'first' virtual channel, it was mapped to the old RF, no longer transmitting, so no signal was found. When I pressed channel up, it looked like nothing happened, it showed the same virtual channel, but now the picture appeared -- this virtual channel, same number as the first, was mapped to the new RF. So it is possible for two identical virtual channels to be mapped to different RFs.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
In our area our NBC station moved back to their previous VHF analog channel as of the June 12th cut off.

Right away they lost a big part of their viewing area. The FCC had told them there'd be no problem.

The FCC goofed, apparently.

Now they're letting the station simulcast, using both the VHF channel and the UHF channel they'd used before June 12th.

The virtual channel number is "7". When my DTVPal converter boxes scans, it finds both simulcast channels, but one comes up as virtual channel "70", but the same call letters.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Unfortunately I can't tell my local CBS virtual Channel 11s apart on the boxes I have that pick up both (VHF and UHF). A problem on some of my Zinwell ZAT-970As that won't hold lock on that VHF channel, and of course I use the Zinwells for timer/VCR recording. So I have to go through the menus to find out which freq goes to which one before programming. I could just delete the VHF channel but Zinwells are notorious for losing Favorites memory.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage /forum/post/17211302

Unfortunately I can't tell my local CBS virtual Channel 11s apart on the boxes I have that pick up both (VHF and UHF). A problem on some of my Zinwell ZAT-970As that won't hold lock on that VHF channel, and of course I use the Zinwells for timer/VCR recording. So I have to go through the menus to find out which freq goes to which one before programming. I could just delete the VHF channel but Zinwells are notorious for losing Favorites memory.

The ZAT-970A lets you rename channels, so figure it out once, rename the VHF channel or the UHF one or both of them, and thereafter you'll be able to tell them apart easily when you set timer events.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattier /forum/post/17213876

The ZAT-970A lets you rename channels, so figure it out once, rename the VHF channel or the UHF one or both of them, and thereafter you'll be able to tell them apart easily when you set timer events.

Yep, been there done that. Then it lost them all in typical Zinwell Favorites fashion. What a waste of time, very time consuming to rename. I originally did it so I wouldn't have to memorize all the station call letters for setting timer events. So much for that...

I'm currently experimenting with a possible Favorites solution. It seemed that Group 1 was always the one to get corrupted (and of course THE favorite) so I replicated it to my last group (then I can just arrow left once from All Channel). So far so good, I'll post my results over yonder Zinwell thread when I feel confident it will work and for others to verify. Somehow I think it may require leaving something active in Group 1 (i.e. otherwise the problem may move to Group 2). My first focus is on the favorite function itself. Renaming may be a seperate issue as I think I've had some channels lose the rename but not the Fav spot.

BTW, I found Skip useful for those deleted channels that keep reappearing, has held for me thus far. I suspect Lock may work too.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
The Zenith (and I assume also the sibling Insignia) boxes allow two stations with the same virtual channel number to co-exist, with duplicate subchannel numbers. Under good conditions I can get (usually at different times) a virtual 12 from Augusta GA and one from the Greensboro NC area. They show up in the channel list as 12-1, 12-1, 12-2, 12-2, 12-3. Entering "12" or "12-1" takes me to the first 12-1. I've forgotten which one it was, or whether it makes a difference which order you scan them in. I've since cleared the channel list and haven't gotten both of them back yet so I can't check right now.

The Channel Master box, on the other hand, keeps only one station at a time in the list. If I have one in the list, and scan in the other one, it wipes out the previous one.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/17216153

The Zenith (and I assume also the sibling Insignia) boxes allow two stations with the same virtual channel number to co-exist, with duplicate subchannel numbers.

The Channel Master box, on the other hand, keeps only one station at a time in the list. If I have one in the list, and scan in the other one, it wipes out the previous one.

How are you doing that? (or how do you know?). My CM only has Update Scan which has no channel selectability. Also, the box doesn't display any frequency or RF channel info so I don't have a clue which one is which.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
I posted about this late last year and every CECB I've tested handles the problem by throwing up multiple virtual channels (ie. 24-1, 24-1, etc.). What every CECB I've tested does is list the virtual channels by the first RF found. In a fixed, solid reception environment, this would be channel 24 before 33 and 49 (examples).

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My Zinwells have two mutliple virtual channels in different order from each other. Probably because the multiples were the result of update scans but one would hope they all did the updates the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.