that I put in the new drive, get it all set up and then put the old

drive back in. It is at this point I do not understand how to

proceed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...>>Sam

·
Registered
524 Posts
Connect old dive ..... plug in utv to ac... when the lights start flashing pull the ide cable and leave it alone for an hour... power off then, remove drive see if you can see it in pc... if ok then reinstall your 120 drive back in your utv close cover your done..

·
Registered
19 Posts
I followed the instructions for my Sony W60 and had some trouble. I think the Sony may take a little longer to do everything than the RCA. Here's what I did: After getting the new drive up and running, I put the old drive back in & powered up. I let the lights flash for about 20 minutes, then unplugged the ribbon cable, leaving the power cable in place. After another 45 minutes or so, I listened carefully to the drive and could hear no more ticking sounds. I then shut down the unit, put the new drive back in and all was great.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
17,687 Posts
Here is a modified version of the steps from the www.blindsquirrel.org web site for use with one unit:

1. Put the old drive back in the unit and power up

2. Let the red, green, and orange lights flash for 1-2mins

3. While the lights are still flashing and power is still turned on pull the ide cable out of the drive, leaving the power connector in (This prevents the new password from being sent to the drive)

4. Wait for at least 40mins for a 40GB drive (you can put your ear next to the drive and see if it is still writing to the drive)

5. Unplug power from the unit

6. Remove disk from unit and put in computer

7. Use fdisk or your partitioning program of choice on drive

8. Enjoy your extra 40gbs of space!

I saw the following info in another post and it seemed like a good idea. I couldn't find it again to give proper credit, though. Sorry to whoever came up with the idea, but here it is again:

You can also use an old computer power supply to power the drive instead of using the UTV power supply so you can remove the drive after disconnecting the IDE cable and get the UTV back up and running sooner. Simply plug the computer power supply into the drive instead of the UTV's power cable, plug the IDE cable from the UTV into the old drive, turn on the computer power supply, then turn on the UTV and follow the above instructions. The only difference is once you pull the IDE connector, you can power down the UTV and reinstall the new upgraded drive and start using your system instead of waiting all that time. The old drive will continue to zero out while hooked up to the computer power supply.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Folks, but I got three responses with three different answers

as to how long to wait before unpluging the IDE cable. One implies to

unplug right away, another to wait 1-2 minutes and the last to wait

20 minutes with the Sony UTV. So from this do I read that it must

not be too critical?

...>>Sam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status