AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alan (and many others) say TT is the best all around player. My AVS HTPC came with WinDVD (was meant to have TT...long story). Alan says to change over and uninstall WinDVD to prevent problems. The CDROM came with no paperwork. Do I just put in and install then uninstall WinDVD...or uninstall Win first? I wasn't sure if uninstalling Win first would mess up the PCs ability to read the TT DVD and mess up the install.

Be gentle, I'm not a PC pro. I have the top model PC built by AVS.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
You only really need to watch out for other ravisent filter players EG CP4 / ATI Player / etc

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I'll just install TT. Does the manual tell you how to make it the default player (and yess I'll look)?

God I love this forum...instant answers you can almost always trust.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK...now where the heck are the numbers they want you to enter (ie serial number and pass code)???

Yjere are a zillion numbers on the case but they're not labeled. The installation says the numbers on the disc but there are none on the disc.

Imersive is closed...probably for days.

Help.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Can you not see by the approx size of the numbers which is which ??

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1) TT forum wants me to wait for "moderation"

2) Here's what's on the dics case...exactly (there are no words, only numbers)

842-P33M053107Y3W (this row is in bold on the case)

E4B4-EDA3-409C-B40A-D8EE-

37B8-AFEF-E082-A983-8929-11B4

The numbers wouldn't fit in the allowed space...hasn't anyone here actually bought and installed TT and had to figure this out? I may be slow, but it doesn't make sense and I'd like to not have to wait until the holidays are over.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it best to ask this in a new thread? TT forum still won't let me in.

·
Registered
216 Posts
When the TT forum first started up (I think you could link directly from this forum at the time), you were able to use the same name and password as this forum. A short time later, I was required to register and they sent a new password out. At least that's how it worked for me.

Randy D

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jeff Smith:

___WinDVD and TheaterTek can interfere with each other but Andrew (coder of TheaterTek) placed a check for default filters in your configuration menu just to make sure you don’t start up TheaterTek with the WinDVD DirectShow filters intact. Once you use TheaterTek for about 10 seconds, WinDVD 2000 ver. All - 3.2.xx will be a distant memory although I still install it just in case … PowerDVD on the other hand will not screw with TheaterTek’s DirectShow implementation that I have seen so you are Ok there.

___As far as registering it, it is a long one but just install the player. I am sure you have already been through this a few times but just in case.

___You may only have the 1.0.048 version disc. If so, before launching the player, upgrade it in the order the patches were released. Apply 1.1, than 1.1 - 1.1.1, and 1.1.1 to 1.2. It will have you reboot in the install sequence a few times. Afterwards, launch the player. A registration splash screen will pop up where you insert your initial serial number and pass code. From the front of the TheaterTek disc. When you launch TheaterTek for the second time, you will receive the final registration passcode screen with an 8-digit key that you must send off to Andrew at TheaterTek.

___I format the registrations similar to below but if your HTPC is connected to the Internet and has an E-Mail client installed and setup, you can use the E-Mail method built within TheaterTek to pick up the registration code directly …

Using the SiS based P4S533:

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wayne, there are NO NUMBERS at all on the disc...and the "serial number area" on the window will not take a number as long as the one on the case. Neither number on the case for the disc is labeled with any words to designate either as "serial number" or "pass code".

I just had the disc mailed to me...wouldn't I have purchased the latest version? I would assume so, but how do I tell?

If not the latest, how do I upgrade? Per the AVS recomendations, my machine is not connected to the net. I do have other PCs that are obviously. Remember, I'm a doctor and a good learner, but NOT a PC pro.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If worst comes to worst, I'm sure I can reach someone by phone Tuesday. for now at least I have WinDVD.

BTW, Wayne, do I understand I SHOULD uninstall WinDVD just in case (after TT is up)? I'm not sure I follow all the computer lingo.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Jeff,

hopefully on the next upgrade they'll reduce the code number down by at least 200 numbers.:rolleyes:

That has been my only frustration with TT, other than that it's the best!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jeff Smith:

___The TheaterTek clam shell has the numbers for the TheaterTek disc you want to install. It wants the 3 digit – 13 digit number first and the 11 set of 4-digits each in the second code box on the initial install. Along with your name (Jeff Smith in your case) and company (NA). You have to be careful here because all 44 digits of the second code will fit but you have to be careful you place O’s instead of 0’s and vice versa. It is very easy to transpose an alpha-numeric character here so just go slow. It has been more than once that I have had to reenter that 44 digit code because of this exact problem … Sorry about this but that is Andrew’s doing and not any of ours. Anyway, after you get the initial install nag/pass-lock code/key in, you will have 7 day access to the player and its configuration as well as the final 8-digit code that you have to send to Andrew. The reply I gave earlier should cover the final aspect of the code key sending/receiving/installing for a no NAG screen and registered TheaterTek player.

___E-Mail me if you are still having trouble with this. I can walk you through this by phone if you really need the help and especially since you should be viewing a great DVD or 2 with your new HTPC this Holiday weekend instead of waiting for this pass-code nonsense to be finalized.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
701 Posts
Jeff,

If you have any questions about installing/using the player, email Tech Support at [email protected]atertek.com .

Wayne has described what you need to enter to get up and running. If you have any further problems, drop an email to the above address and I'll help you.

Regards,

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks everyone...I'm up and running...and now for the tweaking.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
One of the best things about TT is the lack of tweaking needed for the player. Just set the video parameters relative to your drivers and display type, set up the 4 predefined aspect ratios and you should be pretty much good to go!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.