AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO like the title says, when I first start WMC in Live TV mode, the screen is black. Not the normal "No Signal" blue background screen. It is completely black. I can hear the sound just fine. Nothing will come up on the screen until I hit the reverse button and then go back to live. It only dos it when I first open WMC and start live TV. It doesn't do it when I change channels. Just wondering what is going on.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Sounds like a HDMI handshake issue. Is this how you have your HTPC connected to your AVR/TV?

Toys

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
What model is your Tv?

What GPU?

Did you try different drivers?

Did you install anything like shark codec pack?

Is there more than one monitor connected to the PC?

Did you try to re-run "Setup Your Tv or Monitor" in WMC?

Is WMC mode also set to 1080p60 in the above? Is the desktop set to 1080p60?

Do you have Windows audio set to Stereo and WMC audio set to stereo?

When the screen is black, grab your original Tv remote and press INFO. Does the Tv report what type of signal it is receiving (1920x1080....)?

After the video comes on the screen, grab your original Tv remote and press INFO. Does the Tv report what type of signal it is receiving? Compare that to the above

You said it happens on live tv, does it happen when you play back a recorded tv show?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a Vizio 42". I have a A8-6600k APU. I have the newest catalyst drivers. I do have a codec pack. But it isn't shark. I followed assassin's guides for setting things up. This is a brand new set up. I previously had an htpc with just onboard graphics running it. The live TV started fine. I will have to check some things to answer the rest of your questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I updated the driver. I checked the settings. I re setup the TV through wmc. The source and TV are both set to 1080p. But still the same problem. And it is black for both live TV and recordings. And now I just noticed something different. The sound does play initially but goes silent after 5 seconds. I had usually hit the reverse button before then so I hadn't noticed the sound going out as well.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
When the screen is black, grab your original Tv remote and press INFO. Does the Tv report what type of signal it is receiving (1920x1080....)?

After the video comes on the screen, grab your original Tv remote and press INFO. Does the Tv report what type of signal it is receiving? Compare that to the above

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is no info button but when I hit source it says 1080p. It is the same during live TV as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by har02052  /t/1523686/when-i-start-wmc-live-tv-i-can-hear-the-sound-but-the-screen-is-black#post_24520463

So I updated the driver. I checked the settings. I re setup the TV through wmc. The source and TV are both set to 1080p. But still the same problem. And it is black for both live TV and recordings. And now I just noticed something different. The sound does play initially but goes silent after 5 seconds. I had usually hit the reverse button before then so I hadn't noticed the sound going out as well.

Mine is doing exactly that as well. Trinity A8K, win7 64, LG Plasma.

Smells like a HDMI handshake/driver issue. It didn't happen with older Cat's but I haven't rolled back to test. I recently upgraded to latest beta's but no change.

·
Registered
15,285 Posts
I have a different model GPU, but in my experience, only one driver version worked 100% on my system, several versions older than the latest. With later versions, I had the same issue as you and then some. I recommend you try some older drivers and resist the temptation to update in the future (easier said than done, I know).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts