AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've vented on this topic in a few other threads, but here goes. When do you think D* will compete w/HD hardware? Here's what's out there atm:

1) E* has free 811s

2) Most cable cos now have HD offerings w/the STB fee going for ~$5 - $8

3) Heck, even Voom looks like it's moving down to $250 (although Voom is still a "high-end" complemenatry service IMO)

Cable, in the areas it's available, has been offering HD STBs for low "rental" fees for months (years in some areas). E* introduced the 811s for free in 11/03. D* hasn't moved yet. I know existing subs can get down to as low as $99 now, but there's still nothing for new subs. Nothing. I would have felt certain that with as many folks as have and will be purchasing HDTVs during the Christmas holiday and now towards Super Bowl season, D* would have come up w/some enticement for new HD enthusiasts.

When do you think they'll make their move?

Brian

·
Registered
380 Posts
I signed up with E* for the free 811, if DirecTV had HD receivers for free I would have went with them. Voom is feeling the pressure and is adjusting their hardware prices accordingly. I wouldn't get too upset about it, we (the consumers) win anyways.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am wondering about this also. I know one person who went with the free 811. I am very tempted to do it also since it only requires a one year commitment.

I would think that if Dish gets things right, this could attract a huge amount of new subs. I still can't believe they are doing it, but they are. So it really makes me wonder when D* will do the same just to keep their market share of new subs.

I don't know that I would expect VOOM to follow suit as they seem be catering to a higher level customer. Although eventually in order to succeed they may have to follow suit.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Remember the old line, you get what you pay for. I 'upgraded' from a Dish 6000+8VSB+8PSK to the 811, the experience was enough for me to completly dump dish and go back to cable. The 811 is loaded with problems and features that were supposed to be there but are missing. Just check out www.satelliteguys.us or www.dbstalk.com and see the problems folks are reporting. Before I went to E* I was with D* and purchased a Mits HD receiver and it worked just fine. Yep you pay more but you get something that works! E* will hopefully eventually get it working but their past track record, check out the 721, says it could take MANY months. Buyer beware!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rad
Remember the old line, you get what you pay for. I 'upgraded' from a Dish 6000+8VSB+8PSK to the 811, the experience was enough for me to completly dump dish and go back to cable. The 811 is loaded with problems and features that were supposed to be there but are missing. Just check out www.satelliteguys.us or www.dbstalk.com and see the problems folks are reporting. Before I went to E* I was with D* and purchased a Mits HD receiver and it worked just fine. Yep you pay more but you get something that works! E* will hopefully eventually get it working but their past track record, check out the 721, says it could take MANY months. Buyer beware!
New subscribers get it for free, so I'm not sure the old line really applies. :)

You make it sound like the 811 doesn't even work, LOL. Mine has a few very minor bugs, but it works just fine and does an excellent job displaying HD and SD. The OTA tuner in it works great also. I couldn't be more happy with my 811.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Have you taken a look at http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=4218

What you may consider a minor bug may be major to others. You say the OTA tuner works great. In my case the 811 would no longer tune in our local CBS station that my 6000 had no problems with. Another user a few miles from my location also had an 811 that wouldn't tune in another station that he used to get on his 6000.

If you read the thread, numerous folks have complained about dark pictures, bad audio, bad NTSC OTA reception, numerous hangs which require a reboot of the box, there are 21 problems listed that folks have reported. If your 811 is working to your satisfaction that's great, but I'm sorry, I can't recommend this POS to anyone based on my experience.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rad
Have you taken a look at http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=4218

What you may consider a minor bug may be major to others. You say the OTA tuner works great. In my case the 811 would no longer tune in our local CBS station that my 6000 had no problems with. Another user a few miles from my location also had an 811 that wouldn't tune in another station that he used to get on his 6000.

If you read the thread, numerous folks have complained about dark pictures, bad audio, bad NTSC OTA reception, numerous hangs which require a reboot of the box, there are 21 problems listed that folks have reported. If your 811 is working to your satisfaction that's great, but I'm sorry, I can't recommend this POS to anyone based on my experience.
What kind of signal strength are you getting for CBS before/after? I'm 40 miles from the broadcast towers, and I can get every DTV station in my market. Even the ones with 70% signal strength come in just fine. I haven't noticed a dark picture (I'm using DVI) or bad audio. The 811 has frozen on me twice while in the EPG and I had to reset it. I also noticed the EPG usually only shows programs for two or three hours out, and the EPG won't display video in the window. And the Recall button doesn't work between satellite/OTA stations. All pretty minor stuff, IMO, but the problems are there. I'll check that site to see if my 811 has any more problems I don't know about.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by redline65
What kind of signal strength are you getting for CBS before/after? I'm 40 miles from the broadcast towers, and I can get every DTV station in my market. Even the ones with 70% signal strength come in just fine.
The 6000 was getting readings in the mid 80's. The issue appeared that the 811 didn't handle multipath as well or how it processed the PSIP stream. The same channel on the 811 would show 80's when you did a manual add for the station but most of the time didn't show what channel number it was being remapped to so you couldn't add it. When you finally got it to add the channel when you tried to tune it in it wouldn't lock and then remove the channel from the DTV channel list (that neat trick was added on the 263 code).

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally posted by beerme1
I don't know that I would expect VOOM to follow suit as they seem be catering to a higher level customer. Although eventually in order to succeed they may have to follow suit.
Voom is competing. They're beginning a run of $500 rebates bringing the cost down to $250. See the sticky at the top of this forum. That's between $150 and $350 less than it costs to start HD w/D*.

Brian

·
Registered
877 Posts
$99 for a HD receiver from D* was enough to keep me. I would rather stay with a provider that I am used to and know to have great customer service.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$99 is a very good deal. But when it's only available to new subs (and relatively long time new subs at that) it's certainly not attracting any of the folks who just got into HD.

Brian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.