AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I have an older Pioneer VSX-1019-AH running two Polk Monitor 60 SII, a Polk CS2 center, and a Klipsch RW-12d. Currently I have no surround speakers, but plan on getting some decent size bookshelfs from either Polk or Def Tech. I've been watching slickdeals and spotted a few receivers showing up from time to time and I'm basically curious as to how my receiver compares to some of the newer models as far as sound quality/processing goes. The Pioneer does everything I ask of it other than HDMI 1.3 for two-way audio but otherwise the setup leaves me with no complaints.

So how does this compare to some of the ~$500-600 receivers on the market today? And when I say $500-600 I mean that price new, not some $900 one that is on closeout for $550.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Only change when you really need to. Certainly if you have a Pro-Logic receiver and replacing one with DD/DTS a few years ago was a must, but changing one because of more HDMI inputs, newer HDMI spec etc? Nah

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I think the dividing line is HDMI 1.3. To this day, I think it offers the essentials. With the 1019 offering this, I agree about waiting for 2.0. However, the 1019 in a large room might be lacking enough power. In which case, upgrade.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just went from a Denon 3803 to the X4000. It allowed me to run all my connections through my AVR via HDMI instead of sending video signals and audio signals separately. I was able to remove FAR more cables than I am currently using. It added Airplay and networking to stream content. Sound was improved with audyssey room correction. Also, it's more user friendly with the better on screen display, and the aforementioned room correction to setup the speaker distances automatically. Listing all the things that I bettered makes it seem like a no-brainer. It isn't. Knowing what I have learned over the last month or so by reading posts here as well as setting up and using receiver for a few weeks, I would be split between waiting another 3 months or so for the next version of the receiver or buying the receiver I did.

The decision as to whether or not to upgrade is certain...I would! The decision to wait for the next generation isn't as certain. What swayed me originally was feeling I received a bigger discount on this years model now than I would receive on the next generation in a couple months. I also will not replace my current TV until 4k TVs mature a couple years and price comes down on those as well. Several years ago, I would have waited to get the latest things and paid more for it. Now, I don't mind being fashionably late (but not absent) to the latest technology if I save some coin and let others work out the glitches.

So, as to your question as to when to upgrade. IF you want to keep your receiver through several generations and be reasonably current a few years from now, wait for the HDMI 2.0 receivers to come out later this spring/summer and receiver in your price range. If you aren't going to adopt 4k TV and Bluray in the next 5 years, wait for closeouts on the current models. I bet you'll be able to pick up a Denon X4000 or other manufacturer's upper midrange receiver for $700-800, and that would be a DEAL for what it offers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts