AVS Forum banner

3061 - 3080 of 3111 Posts

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,006 Posts
Sooooooooooooooooo....:D

What is it? I was at the IFA and heard nothing.
What about Cedia?
It wasn't at either IFA or CEDIA

I am due to visit the manufacturers factory wherein I will be carrying out some final due dilligence, shortly after I return from CEDIA. Following which I will be publishing my review report :)

The first and second picture AFTER the one with the blue face guy - what movie are those pictures from?
The Smurfs 2

BTW "the blue face guy" is Jennifer Lawrence :p

:wink:

·
Registered
170 Posts
JVC pricing structure similar to Sony?

I think at 25K in Europe, the 870 will do very well, but if it is 35K in the US, I think it becomes a hard sell.

I agree .... I can't convince the wife to keep driving her 9 year old car because I have to go buy a $35,000 projector. :)

does JVC have the same type pricing that makes them more expensive on one continent vs any other? (like Sony does?)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts

I am due to visit the manufacturers factory wherein I will be carrying out some final due dilligence, shortly after I return from CEDIA. Following which I will be publishing my review report :)
Which magazine will this review be in?

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
Agree Sharpness and color are important too to many people. Not everyone is a JVC loving contrast obsessive compulsive.
I agree, I like sharpness, that's why I went with an 885 for my current projector - but I very much miss those JVC blacks on dark scenes.

Fortunately it looks as though the new JVC range will deliver the colour, the sharpness, and the high contrast.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,428 Posts
Agree Sharpness and color are important too to many people. Not everyone is a JVC loving contrast obsessive compulsive.
You have the above backwards. I went ahead and corrected it for you:
Agree Sharpness and color are important to too many people

:)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
You have the above backwards. I went ahead and corrected it for you:
Agree Sharpness and color are important to too many people

Hey Markmon,

I know you meant this partially as a joke. But still, we shouldn't pretend to know what others must prefer.

This is also a source of disagreement from me with many discussions on this board, some think that contrast should dictate above all, while people that prefer resolution are plebs that don't know any better and have been brainwashed by marketing. Honestly, that annoys me a lot.

Reactions: Archibald1

·
Registered
211 Posts
Arrow,

So any word on the mystery projector you have been talking about? It appears it had nothing to do with projectors shown at CEDIA. Please keep us posted on any information you can provide.

Thanks, Kim

The Smurfs 2

BTW "the blue face guy" is Jennifer Lawrence :p

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I am reading some very interesting discussion in this thread regarding what are the most important aspects that make a good video image.

Here's my two cents.. According to not only the Imaging Science Foundation (ISF), but also THX; both of whom drive industry standards and train professional video calibrators worldwide, resolution is not the most important factor influencing video performance and hence good picture quality.

In fact, it’s quite a way down the list of importance. According to both ISF and THX, the least of the key parameters is resolution; the single most apparent thing you see is dynamic range; contrast and black level are most important; of next importance is colour saturation, depth, subsampling, and accuracy; and resolution is less important as compared with all of these. Furthermore, personally I'd also consider peak luminance, gamma performance, motion handling, and uniformity to be of at least equal importance too.

Specifically, ISF president and founder, Joel Silver reports that “the fourth and least of the four key parameters is resolution;” and “the single most apparent thing you see is dynamic range.” Similarly, Gregg Loewen, who heads the THX professional video calibration trainings worldwide, says “contrast and black level are most important” and that “resolution is only fourth behind contrast, colour saturation and colour accuracy”.

That said, of course personal preference will play a role here, in that for some people contrast and black levels might be of lesser importance than others, whom might consider resolution to be higher up on the list of importance; but I think it's fair to say that there are a several aspects, the summation of which influences how good or bad is the perceived overall video image quality.

With respect to image contrast and black level, I also consider that it's not just the native contrast performance, but also both the ANSI contrast performance and the dynamic contrast functionality that are also important.

For example, I am currently in process of completing a comprehensive in-depth review and evaluation report with respect to a brand new home cinema/theater projector, which uniquely sports all of:

• High ON/OFF contrast (circa 30,000:1 at typical light output levels; so about on par with the JVC eShift projectors)

• The highest ever ANSI contrast (900:1 - 1,000:1; which is circa 3-5 times greater than the JVC and SONY projectors)

• Perfect dynamic dimming/contrast functionality (entirely devoid of pumping or artefacts)

• The combination of which equates to a ‘Triple-Whammy’ resulting in the best contrast and black level performance of any projector currently available in the world.

• 7,000 lumens peak luminance (calibrated)

• 107% coverage of DCI-P3 and 85% of BT.2020 color gamuts

• True 10-bit color processing

• Perfect focus and image uniformity

• Small footprint

• Low operating noise levels

Whilst I appreciate that screenshots are frowned upon by many folks on here (with good reason); because, typically, photos taken of projected images by people are almost always inaccurate and/or by no means truly representative of what is the actual appearance of the projected image. Furthermore, in many instances video editing is subsequently applied, yet even further altering their appearance. Consequently, in all such instances the photos / screenshots are of little use in evaluating what is the actual performance of the particular projector. However, in this instance all the following photos / screenshots are in fact very accurately representative of what the corresponding projected images actually look like. This is because they are raw images, which have been photographed professionally. (N.B. in order to view the images with the best accuracy this is best done via a calibrated video display, TV, or monitor.)

The ANSI Contrast performance in particular is completely insane. When I first saw a projected ANSI checkerboard pattern my jaw hit the floor because it was/is quite literally a perfect WHITE, BLACK, WHITE, BLACK.

Sooooooooooooooooo....:D

What is it? I was at the IFA and heard nothing.
What about Cedia?

Arrow,

So any word on the mystery projector you have been talking about? It appears it had nothing to do with projectors shown at CEDIA. Please keep us posted on any information you can provide.

Thanks, Kim
Hi @ARROW-AV,

Our interest is still piqued from when you first mentioned this new uber PJ two months ago. Any guesses on when we might hear something else about it?

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Hi @ARROW-AV ,

Our interest is still piqued from when you first mentioned this new uber PJ two months ago. Any guesses on when we might hear something else about it?

Thanks,
Darrell
Honestly, its not that uber, a lot of you are not even going to flinch when he mentions a couple aspects of it.

Also, everyone on this forum has already heard its name in the past...

What we can hope, is that future products are made with some of the same level of care and methodology.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Honestly, its not that uber, a lot of you are not even going to flinch when he mentions a couple aspects of it.

Also, everyone on this forum has already heard its name in the past...

What we can hope, is that future products are made with some of the same level of care and methodology.
The features and performance he listed above sounds pretty uber to me, although he also mentioned this first implementation of whatever it is will be uber expensive as well. When I pressed and asked if it involved some technology previously unavailable in consumer PJs, and whether this technology could be easily copied and cost-reduced by other manufacturers, he answered "Yes and yes".

So it sounds like you already know what this 'this' is, but instead of some new technology, its something "everyone on this forum has already heard its name in the past", and we hope "future products are made with some of the same level of care and methodology", but presumably at a cheaper cost.

My money as to what 'this' is, is tandem DMDs, but we're still waiting for someone to spill the beans. Any chance all of this is being held up by TI over licensing agreements?

Thanks,
Darrell

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
My money as to what 'this' is, is tandem DMDs, but we're still waiting for someone to spill the beans. Any chance all of this is being held up by TI over licensing agreements?
I cant/wont tell you what it is, because it was said in confidence, but the answer to the above is,

No, and No.

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,006 Posts
Well I happen to strongly disagree. It's still the best projected image from a projector that both I and more than one other highly respect AV video professional has ever seen to date; and that's in spite of the couple of aspects to which you refer. @Alan Gouger is one of these, perhaps you have heard of him? ;)

I have to say I am surprised to see you post such an opinion and conclusion, firstly when you are not supposed to be discussing it given I told you in confidence and yet here you are freely answering technical questions regarding it; and secondly how do you know it's not 'uber' when you have never actually seen it?

For what it's worth there are future new products in the R&D pipeline that make use of the same technology but which eliminate the 'couple of aspects' to which you refer; which by the way, won't be an issue for some people, and especially after they experience the performance of the projector.

Please don't spoil the fun and respect the trust I placed in you by not discussing the matter further until after I have published my review. Many thanks in advance :)

Hi @ARROW-AV, Our interest is still piqued from when you first mentioned this new uber PJ two months ago. Any guesses on when we might hear something else about it?

Thanks,
Darrell
The features and performance he listed above sounds pretty uber to me, although he also mentioned this first implementation of whatever it is will be uber expensive as well. When I pressed and asked if it involved some technology previously unavailable in consumer PJs, and whether this technology could be easily copied and cost-reduced by other manufacturers, he answered "Yes and yes".

So it sounds like you already know what this 'this' is, but instead of some new technology, its something "everyone on this forum has already heard its name in the past", and we hope "future products are made with some of the same level of care and methodology", but presumably at a cheaper cost.

Thanks,
Darrell
This is my guess too. However, given Arrow is super excited about the RS3000 I suspect the thread for this machine will move to the Ultra $20k+ subforum :(
Please ignore @Javs the party pooper ;) :p

Personally I as well as others who have actually seen the projector do indeed consider it to be 'uber' :)

That said, @Javs is absolutely right that there are indeed one or two aspects that will some folks to prejudge and potentially even dismiss the projector, regarding which I will be comprehensively discussing the details in my review. However, these won't in reality be an issue for some people, and especially after they personally see its actual performance. So I am going to be asking people not to prejudge something that they have never in fact experienced.

The plan remains unchanged as per my previous post regarding this. I am due to visit the manufacturers factory, this Wednesday as it happens, wherein I will be carrying out some final due dilligence, following which I will be publishing my review.

·
Registered
8,453 Posts
Well I happen to strongly disagree. It's still the best projected image from a projector that both I and more than one other highly respect AV video professional has ever seen to date; and that's in spite of the couple of aspects to which you refer. @Alan Gouger is one of these, perhaps you have heard of him? ;)

I have to say I am surprised to see you post such an opinion and conclusion, firstly when you are not supposed to be discussing it given I told you in confidence and yet here you are freely answering technical questions regarding it; and secondly how do you know it's not 'uber' when you have never actually seen it?

For what it's worth there are future new products in the R&D pipeline that make use of the same technology but which eliminate the 'couple of aspects' to which you refer; which by the way, won't be an issue for some people, and especially after they experience the performance of the projector.

Please don't spoil the fun and respect the trust I placed in you by not discussing the matter further until after I have published my review. Many thanks in advance :)

Please ignore @Javs the party pooper ;)

Personally I as well as others who have actually seen the projector do indeed consider it to be 'uber' :)

That said, @Javs is absolutely right that there are indeed one or two aspects that will some folks to prejudge and potentially even dismiss the projector, regarding which I will be comprehensively discussing the details in my review. However, these won't in reality be an issue for some people, and especially after they personally see its actual performance. So I am going to be asking people not to prejudge something that they have never in fact experienced.

The plan remains unchanged as per my previous post regarding this. I am due to visit the manufacturers factory, this Wednesday as it happens, wherein I will be carrying out some final due dilligence, following which I will be publishing my review.

You are right of course, my apologies Nigel.

Ignore me, I am indeed a party pooper.

·
ABSOLUTE ULTIMATE AV
5,006 Posts
You are right of course, my apologies Nigel.

Ignore me, I am indeed a party pooper.
I do very much look forward to discussing things with you and your feedback after I publish my review. This is an interesting one thats for sure. Certainly surprised the hell out of me when I first saw it! :)

3061 - 3080 of 3111 Posts