AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never heard what time the party is this Saturday. I also did not receive an address, directions, final invitation, etc. Anyone have details?

Thanks!

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
2 days away... Shawn? Anyone?

------------------

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Perhaps you can post the address/directions for anyone else that would like to go? I'm looking forward to hearing comments from all of you that plan to go see the P752 factory and impressions of the unit itself.

Tom

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Manny,

We will be meeting at 1:30 in the afternoon. All will be casual. We don't have a theater or even close. The facility is very small. However, we have a painted wall and an older XGA projector that will show DVDs from a PC. In other words, it's not the greatest promotion for home theater, but the Panamorph will certainly do its stuff. Bring your favorite anamorphic DVDs if you'd like!

Shawn

Address:

27260 Haggerty Rd., Suite 19A

Farmington Hills, MI 48331

>From I96, take M5 north to 12 mile and turn right. About 1/4 mile turn right on Haggerty road. We are in the Haggerty Technology Park about 1/4 mi down on the left.

------------------

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got a note from Shawn. It's at 1:30 this Saturday.

------------------

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
I plan on being there. I received a similar note from Shawn. Hopefully, our reports will quell the doubting Thomas' out there. Should be a good chance to put a face on some of the names here- Man E's, at least http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

I plan to bring my Mitsubishi XGA 600 lumen LCD projector, an HP Omnibook notebook with built in DVD, and some DVD's of varying aspect ratios (1.78, 1.85, and 2.35).

Probably Lost in Space, Fifth Element (2.35), Frampton's Live in Detroit (1.78). Other suggestions? I'll check here tomorrow AM before I leave for other DVD suggestions.

I plan to take an Olympus D490 2.1 megapixel camera and shoot some pics of the Panamorphs, the guys, and screen shots if Shawn doesn't mind.

I'll post them, if permitted, in a yahoo photo album at full 1600x1200 camera resolution.

[This message has been edited by Rgb (edited 07-20-2001).]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
RGB,

Sneak a few photos of the "behind-the-curtain" stuff, if you can...the unreleased Panamorph II, for instance.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Rgb:

The PII was at the top of my photojournalism list!
Right! I'll bring the hooch, and when Shawn's a little bit tipsy, I'll ask about the defects in his sample lens. He'll have to look reaaaaaallly close to see them. That's when you get the goods. Of course, he just read that, so we'll have to come up with a better plan (well, maybe I'll still bring the hooch).

------------------

Our Silent Angels

·
Registered
846 Posts
Wait...you mean there really IS A PANAMORPH?

And I thought I was going to be able to take that $800 off as a tax deduction to the SKRF (Shawn Kelley Retirement Fund)!

Oh well. Foiled again.

--Les

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Well, I just returned from the Cygnus open house. Shawn Kelly did a great job with the demo.

I got a lot of pics- shots of the projected image, the P752 in fornt of an LCD XGA projector, the machining facilities, and the crew.

Pics should be available by tonight in a yahoo photo album.

Bart, Kirk, Man E and myself were the local (SE Michigan area) AVS members who made it.

It was great meeting the other members!

The P752, the model demo'd, performed per Shawn's detailed descriptions on the Cygnus website and the discussions here- outstanding!

Sorry, no PII (2.35:1) demo! You'll have to wait a few weeks to see that one http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

One thing we all noticed was the light weight of the unit- 5 lbs might sound heavy, but relative to its size and optics, the unit feels very light when held in your hand- yes, we all got to cradle a production P752 in our hands!

We took close looks at Fifth Element, Vertical Limit, and Frampton Live in Detroit, as well as F1 2000 driving sim and FS2000 flight sim.

The cool thing was, the projector Cygnus had was the same as mine! (a Mits X100 OEM, mine being an actual Mits X100) Any worries of compatibility with my setup were eliminated, to say the least http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
For both split-screen shots (actual image on wall, not spliced together digitally), the P752 was simply slid over to cover 1/2 the lens. The left side of the image bypasses the P752 (light does not pass through it), and the right side is the P752 modified image.

Also, in the other film stills, the faint gray border around the image perimeter is the painted wall screen. I didn't get the dimensions of the painted area, and am not certain if the painted region representing the screen has perectly straight and square edges. The painted screen area appeared straight and square, and the width looked to be about 7 feet.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Other tech details:

Counting the 2'x4' ceiling tiles, the projector lens was about 15' from the image on the wall.

WinDVD 2000 Dell OEM was used- I didn't get the actual version number.

A Dell Inspiron 8000 was used for progressive DVD output via DB15 VGA to the projector.

Go to www.dell.com for tech details on the Inspiron 8000.

http://www.mitsubishi-projector.com/download/manual/x100a.pdf [/url] and
http://www.mitsubishi-presentations..../x100/x100.htm

have the tech details on the projector used for the demo.

[This message has been edited by Rgb (edited 07-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Rgb (edited 07-21-2001).]

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wow, thanks for the cool pictures. Can't wait till mine ships!

------------------

John

·
Registered
574 Posts
Excellent pictures of the visit. Wish I could have been there.

Kirk, Sorry that I wasn't around today and didn't return your call, I would have liked to cruise out there with you. Be sure to post your opinion when you get a chance.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by arrow:

Am I seeing that split screen right? The image is reduced 33% from the bottom?
Just in case anyone is wondering, the P752 image was reduced from the bottom (i.e., shifted up) because it was in the "floor" position. When it is ceiling mounted it will lower the image.

Thanks for the photos RGB! Too bad I forgot the hooch.

------------------

Our Silent Angels

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.