AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a successor to the Dish 6000 expected, and if so, are there any details, and when is it expected? I was thinking something like a PVR HD model.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
On a Dish Technical Forun they said the 921 PVR, which is a HD PVR, would be out mid or late 2002. Some rumors have indicated it would have DVI and 1394/5C interfaces. I don't know if it is a successor to the 6000 or an addition to the 6000 in their HD lineup.

Rick R

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Assuming that the 921 does get delivered as

planned, then it would be a "replacement"

for the 6000. As far as I know the "architecture"

of the 6000 is not intended to be reused

for any future products.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
Maybe I didn't word that exactly right...

I guess my point is that it sounds like they

want to dump the 6000 as soon as they have

an alternative ready.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I disagree about "dumping" the 6000. It is the only HD STB that is built on a modular design.

There are two "bays" on the back side. One is for the OTA module. The other MAY be for a 1394 interface module, or a DVI module.

The 921 is a PVR. Not all people want a PVR and it will be expensive. Estimates place it at $1000 or above.

The 6000 is a great HD STB for those who want HD via DISH and OTA. It is upgradeable so why would there be a replacement?

I can see the 921 as an addition to DISH's HD STB lineup but not as a replacement.

If there was a replacement for the 6000 and I strongly doubt that there is...what new features would it have that the 6000 does not?

Lee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.