AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,289 Posts
They haven't even announced such a beast, and after announcing a new pj, it will be several months before its in mass production. On top of that the HC5000 has barely gotten up to speed in the market and probably doesnt need in-house competition when there is so much external competition. Finally TI is still charging a lot for 1080p DC3 panels (although the W9000 from Benq indicates that there is a slightly cheaper 1080p DMD also available.)


I'd say once the HC5000 gets reasonably discounted (in the CEDIA timeframe maybe) and 1080p prices are much lower, we'll see a new 1080p DLP from Mitsubishi.


So yeah, CEDIA timeframe would be my guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,092 Posts
I asked the guys at the Mits booth at the CES last week about this, i.e., why they had done the 5000 as an lcd machine rather than dlp, with which they have much good experience. He said that the price TI is charging for their 1080p chip is sufficiently high that it would have put them at a price point they didn't think was reasonable for them. And since they wanted to get into the 1080p game, they went ahead with lcd.


So I think we all should look forward to the time when TI's monopoly on dlp has run its course!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milimetr /forum/post/0


When we can expect new 1080p DLP projector from Mitsubishi, any thoughts?


Regards,

Milimetr

Mits offers a line of 1080p RPTVs that look good (at least with their demo loop).

I can't imagine they'll hold out much longer. Many OEMs are in the same boat. Maybe that's why we have plenty of LCOS RPTVs to look at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,092 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA /forum/post/0


Mits offers a line of 1080p RPTVs that look good (at least with their demo loop).

I can't imagine they'll hold out much longer. Many OEMs are in the same boat. Maybe that's why we have plenty of LCOS RPTVs to look at.

I have one of Mits' last year's 1080p rptv's (the 73727) and have been extremely pleased with it. The PQ is great: sharp as a tack (with good sources), bright and accurate colors, and trouble-free. Only reason I'm going to replace it with a projector is SIZE (got the IMAX complex).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA /forum/post/0


Mits offers a line of 1080p RPTVs that look good (at least with their demo loop).

I can't imagine they'll hold out much longer. Many OEMs are in the same boat. Maybe that's why we have plenty of LCOS RPTVs to look at.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't DLP RPTVs wobulated 1080p, which wouldn't work with front projection?


I'm also eager for a Mits 1080p DLP projector.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/0


Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't DLP RPTVs wobulated 1080p, which wouldn't work with front projection?


I'm also eager for a Mits 1080p DLP projector.

As far as I know of Josh. Perhaps you can educate us on why wobulation wouldn't work? After all, the demo looks fine on RPTVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,806 Posts
Mitsubishi and all the rest use use wobulation chips on all RPTVs. Optoma uses wobulation chips on their 100" diagonal built-in rear projection system call "BigVision." I do not know if they use wobulation on their new 120" kit, which sells for 50k. At that price I would want a full 1080 chip.


I do not understand why people still talk down LCD. At 1080 there is no screen door effect, so what is the problem? The contrast and color is all great, according to reviews.


IB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMRA /forum/post/0


As far as I know of Josh. Perhaps you can educate us on why wobulation wouldn't work? After all, the demo looks fine on RPTVs.

I don't know for a fact that wobulation wouldn't work in a projector, but I've heard that somewhere. I believe all of the current DLP projectors use full 1920x1080 DMD arrays, which is why they're so much more expensive than the 720p models.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks /forum/post/0


I do not understand why people still talk down LCD. At 1080 there is no screen door effect, so what is the problem? The contrast and color is all great, according to reviews.

Personally, I just don't like the look of LCD. It looks very "digital" to me. I find DLP can produce a more natural, film-like picture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z /forum/post/0


Personally, I just don't like the look of LCD. It looks very "digital" to me. I find DLP can produce a more natural, film-like picture.


But why is that? If there is no screen door, why should it look more "digital." Projector Central rates some LCD units as having less screen door than 1080 DLP! I think there is a LCD stigma that is a hold over from the days when LCD was terrible. Those days are long gone. LCD is no longer low rent.


IB
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inky blacks /forum/post/0


But why is that? If there is no screen door, why should it look more "digital." Projector Central rates some LCD units as having less screen door than 1080 DLP! I think there is a LCD stigma that is a hold over from the days when LCD was terrible. Those days are long gone. LCD is no longer low rent.

There's more to it than just screendoor. They just have different inherent looks. Projector Central is pretty clearly biased towards LCD, which is fine. It's their opinion. I just have never quite cared for it.


Yes, LCD is a lot better than it used to be. No, it's not "low rent" and I wouldn't use the word "inferior". They're just different, and I personally prefer DLP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,836 Posts
Isn´t the native contrast of D6 something like 1k:1 and the fill rate is aprox. 50%... how is that not inferior to LCOS or DLP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericglo /forum/post/0


I wouldn't expect cheap DLPs from competing manufacturers anytime soon.

When I Google for Benq W9000 you'll find a few dealers offering it for about the same price as the discounted Pearl, but its not available for a couple weeks is the best I heard. I have not seen AVS mention it yet so who knows about the other dealers, they might just be listing it then try to get you to switch to something else.


Then, I called Benq and they confirmed it will be shipping soon...


The W10000 and W9000 on the web site look almost exactly the same, they even share the same manual, and the manual mentions no differences. I'm wondering if it is exactly the same or if Benq dropped the quality on the lens or something to get a better price?


Looks like it may be a great 1080P DLP value?


Right now the Pearl seems the best value at its selling price, you get a quality build, great blacks and contrast and a DI that is hard to see, it's optics could be a step better but with movies you would not be disappointed. Also Sony products right or wrong do resell faster than others.


The JVC is priced a fair bit more than the Pearl and is not available for some time, so a decent DLP at the Pearls price could capture a lot of sales from those I'd think...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,907 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill /forum/post/0


I have one of Mits' last year's 1080p rptv's (the 73727) and have been extremely pleased with it. The PQ is great: sharp as a tack (with good sources), bright and accurate colors, and trouble-free. Only reason I'm going to replace it with a projector is SIZE (got the IMAX complex).

My mother wanted me to help her get an RPTV when I was visiting this year. We went out to Tweeters, Fry's etc. in the absolute expectation of my getter her a Sony SXRD. Once we saw the Mits 1080P Diamond series though it was all over. As you say sharp, very bright, nice contrast, fantastic color. To our eyes there was no contest between that and the SXRD units they had. We bought it for her and she's turned into a TV and movie junkie where she barely ever turned on her previous set.


Count me as another that's disappointed Mits doesn't do a projector version of their Diamond 1080P DLP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
My $0.02 >>

1 Cent: There is a whole thread on how 1080p wobulation works (it is basically 720p but somehow converted to 1080p) and how this can only be used in RPTV and not in FPTVs. (search avs forum you will find it)


2 Cent: There are some dealers on eBay selling W9000 around $3.5K and I asked one dealer when it is available. They said it will be shipping from Jan 23.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top