AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After unplugging a RTV 55xx & plugging it back in, when should the fan kick on?

It looks like the hard drive in one of my RTVs has gone belly up -- I'm stuck on the "Please Wait" screen with a flicker every 10 seconds or so. I think I've tried all the regular steps (hold power button, unplug & wait, disconnect ethernet cable, disconnect all cables, hit power button a few times, plug back in, ad nauseum).

I've done the "replace a failed hard drive" on my RTVs two or three times before and I've had to replace the power supply on at least one of my units.

To be honest, I've never paid attention to when the fan starts, but what I have noticed in trying to troubleshoot this problem is that the fan isn't coming on at any time during the "Please Wait" time. So, I'm wondering if the hard drive failed because the fan failed, or if the hard drive just failed with no warning as has happened to me a few times before?

I'd hate to order a new hard drive from Mikeyboy only to find out after installation that the fan is bad . . .

Any thoughts/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
The fan doesn't start running until the unit boots, which is right after the "Please Wait...", when the "One moment please..." screen comes up, as explained at the bottom of this page...

Henry

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Well, I know the problem well and asked Gary to make a new page a long time ago due to all the questions that came up about the booting process...

Henry

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL -- with all the tinkering I've done (thanks to a lot of hand-holding by wonderful helpful people like you) over the years, you'd think I'd know when the fan comes on, but I didn't.

I'm always gob-smacked when a drive suddenly fails (fine Tuesday, dead today) & I think I tend to look for causes other than age. IOW, I over-think & over-worry!

Thanks Again,

Saundra

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Unfortunately, you'll have to wait until you get the unit booting to see if the fan is the culprit or not...

I recommend going with a long life drive, like the Seagate video drives, such as the DB35s and SV35s...

Henry

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah . . . progress. Bah, humbug :) I did a quick look at Seagate, and it looks like I need to know the drive interface (ATA/100 or SATA) and capacity . . . can you point me in the direction to read what RTVs need so I can make an appropriate selection?

Saundra

1 - 8 of 8 Posts