AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the extremely fast pace of these newer, cheaper (for lack of a better word), higher quality digital front projectors coming to market (and the hyper quality prototype products shown at CEDIA and elsewhere coming to light), I was just wondering:

When do you think the "holy grail" of at least 1920x1080 progressive, 1.78:1 ratio fixed panel digital resolution projectors (with acceptable contrast and black level ratios, high quality scalers, and no rainbow or other obnoxious anomalies) at a "reasonable" price would be a reality?

They would, obviously, have to support the various higher bandwidth, digital video inputs and copy protection (boo!) measures too. Cheaper, and longer lasting bulbs. 2.35:1 anamorphic enhancement scaling (for outboard anamorphic lenses and 2.40:1 screen ratios) with 480 and HDTV resolution signals, native 1080p support, and quality upscaling to 1920x1080p would also be welcome features.

Give it your best guess...

Dan

------------------

STOP HDCP/5C and The MPAA!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you start with the panel sources such as TI, Seiko-Epson, Sony, JVC, and Three-Five; it will be a few years. TI is still at 720p. Seiko-Epson and Sony are coming out with panels. JVC and Three-Five have 1920x1200 panels. It will take at least 2 years before these show up at the exhibitions let alone the discount stores.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Can't a 9" CRT do it now, or are you talking about just digital?

------------------

Jeff

Currently - Zenith 7" CRT, 80x60 1.3 gain screen

Soon to be - 107x60 1.3 gain...with whatever higher rez DLP gets its act together (finally)with Panamorph or B stock/etc 9" CRT

[This message has been edited by Jeff Smith (edited 09-14-2001).]

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I assume we're talking digital.

JVC has demonstrated its QXGA (2048x1536) DILA already for e-cinema at a large six-figure price. JVC currently does not have plans for this resolution in presentation-level (and HT) projectors for at least 2 years, if I remember right. And they are ahead of TI in this respect.

P.S.: Finally at 500 posts! Yippee! I have spent waaaay too much time on AVS Forum, that's for sure.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm still not convinced that 9" CRT FPTV are doing more than 1400 X 1080 actual resolvable resolution now, at least not edge-to-edge, and not without expert calibration.

That said, many FPTVs with 9" CRTs CAN have an amazing picture with a 1080p source, as can certain digital FPTVs (even if the full 1920 X 1080 resolution is not fully resolved).

Without any readily available 1080p material, no 1080p HD broadcasts, and only a couple high-end scalers capable of 1080 de-interlacing/scaling it's still a moot point.

But there is a inevitability of 1080p scalers coming out within the next couple years, and no doubt native 1080p digital FPTVs will be coming closer to consumer pricing within the next 5 years as digital FPTVs evolve.

-Dean.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
after having and watching hd for a while on a digital pj i no longer care about this issue. turns out that 720p is more than enough resolution. the major advance to see with digital is black level. i can walk half way to my screen with hd and not notice the pic break down. i saw a g90 with a 1080p scaler on it and it was great but i did not notice it for it's resolution compared to what i am used to.

greg

------------------

-------------------------

Compaq MP2800 DLP, 1Ghz htpc w radeon aiw, 45 x 80" diy accoustically transparent screen, lexicon dc-1. ipaq touchscreen for control

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.