AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have and HSU STF-2 sub and I love it. It does everything I want.

I am building a new theater in a 13'x20' room.

My question is when is it time to add a second sub to the mix?

My current setup seems fine. But I did find a deal locally on a STF-2 sub and I thought...hmmm...maybe nice to have a second sub.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
If you want to help flatten out the frequency response for all seats in the room, that is the time to add the second sub. Place them on opposite sides of the room, normally centered on the front/rear walls.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I will be building a riser for the second row of seats and I think I will need to butt it up against the rear wall. Currently the sub sits to the right side of the screen.

Would I be OK placing the second sub diagonally opposite from the first?

·
Registered
2,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock96 /forum/post/12913102

Ok, I will be building a riser for the second row of seats and I think I will need to butt it up against the rear wall. Currently the sub sits to the right side of the screen.

Would I be OK placing the second sub diagonally opposite from the first?

That's what I do, and it works great.

·
Banned
3,571 Posts
Shock, adding a second subwoofer should give you perceptively cleaner bass at all output levels with lower distortion. Where one subwoofer at high output levels might be struggling, dual subwoofers (properly calibrated) simply coast along.

You also have two luxuries at your disposal. Either you co-locate both subwoofers and gain a maximum output advantage of 6 dB's or you can position both subwoofers to achieve a smoother in-room frequency response and achieve around 3 dB's of clean headroom.

For all you know, you may be experiencing output compression in your room without actually knowing it. When the subwoofer voice-coil overheats (either from high levels of a continuous nature or the woofer voice coil is riding outside the magnetic structure where it gets the bulk of it's cooling as it draws air in with each stroke), your output will go down.

This is also known as power compression. Adding a second subwoofer will most certainly give you less power compression and greater dynamics when watching your favorite movie or music track.

If you don't watch your movies loud enough that you are stressing the capabilities of the subwoofer then there is still merit to using two instead of one.

--Regards,

·
Registered
8,699 Posts
I have both subs placed symmetrically, (each in the same location on opposite walls). I suggest you experiment with the placement, starting with each corner and then moving them down each wall until you get the smoothest response. Also, you should calibrate each sub independently when you balance your system.

Ethan
Quote:
After you've gone as far as you can with bass traps.

Hmmmm......Sounds like a plug to me.

Ian

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
1) when the wife isn't around.

2) when you got some money below the wife's radar.

3) when you spend a few months in this sub-subforum.

·
Registered
8,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit /forum/post/12925705

I snuck my second sub into the den one day, when my wife was visiting her brother.

Ian

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/12931031

I snuck my second sub into the den one day, when my wife was visiting her brother.

Ian

I snuck BOTH PB10's into my room without anyone noticing...on two separate occasions
. Of course, they found out soon enough...

·
Registered
94 Posts
i also have the same question. but also one question is bothering me how will i calibrate the second sub with my onkyo 805.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribbit /forum/post/12925705

These are excatly my case.

To whom it may apply: if you have ever cheated the wife it's absolutely the time to upgrade the sub, not necessarily the wife.

·
Registered
784 Posts
OK, a really dumb question. When you add a second SW how will getting a more powerful SW than the original affect bass output and balancing the bass?

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCodger73 /forum/post/12931851

OK, a really dumb question. When you add a second SW how will getting a more powerful SW than the original affect bass output and balancing the bass?

It's not dumb at all but a very serious question on using mutiple subs. This is just one of the threads.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=980432

It's quite complicated using mutiple subs expecially when they are not identical. Just like multiple people's interactions. Ever watched Big Love on HBO? I call them Polysubbers who use mutiple subwoofers.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great! Thanks a bunch guys. I just made a deal on the twin to mine here locally. It will sit in it's box until the room is done!

I can't wait!

mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
"in the box"??? Puleeze take it out so it can breathe and get acclimated to it's new owner!! :^)

Seriously, you're going to enjoy having two subs. I don't think i would ever go back to a single in my situation. But DO read up on the placement considerations if you find you don't like what you hear....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts