AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all this talk about forthcoming copy protection schemes and connections, is it time to buy an HDTV set now, or to wait until it settles down. I have a Wintv-hd card already, but I just use my monitor to view it. I intend in the future to buy a HDTV set sometime in the future, with all this talk I was wondering if I should buy now, and use the older connection schemes? Or if I buy a current HDTV set, and these new schemes come out will the older HDTV sets be worthless? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Toolman

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I would not wait! If you have a room with total light control you can buy a used projector that will do HD for less than $1000 and a 100" screen and you will never go back. I feel the WOW factor of HD increase with screen size. You have already made a investment in the WinHD card you might as well enjoy it. I assume that you can get OTA HD with your WinHD Card and if your PC has a DVD player you will enjoy that much more. Spent some time on the CRT or LCD Projector forums and get yourself educated. If you don't have total light control there a lot of RPTV will connect right to you pc with a little tweaking.

------------------

Hello ! My name is Mike and I’m a Home Theater Addict.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Toolman Tim:
Or if I buy a current HDTV set, and these new schemes come out will the older HDTV sets be worthless? Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Toolman
Mitsubishi for one has publicly stated that they will guarantee their sets will be able to handle any future copy protection schemes, including firewire connections. Do a search on "HAVi" to get the details.

[This message has been edited by RSongco (edited 08-08-2001).]

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Mitsubishi for one has publicly stated that they will guarantee their sets will be able to handle any future copy protection schemes, including firewire connections. Do a search on "HAVi" to get the details.
Yes, but if I understand correctly, Mitsu has said that it could cost up to $1K for the upgrade. How many of us will want to spend another $1K to upgrade a two year old Mitsu when a new one will probably perform better AND cost less than you'd pay for one now. I say damn the torpedos... buy an HDTV set now, and worry about firewire later. In the end, we'll probably all get major credits toward a new set from our manufacturers as a result of our massive class action lawsuit. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

MikeEby: where can I get an HD front projector that will look good projecting a 100" screen for less than $1000? Which model projectors are you talking about?

If I can buy a good one for that now, I'm sold!!

------------------

Take Care,

merc

DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP and Lewinski!!!

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
No they didn't. They said they would provide a Firewire/5C copy protection module. They also explicitly said they would not provide a DVI interface. But the satellite companies are pushing DVI...

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merc:

Yes, but if I understand correctly, Mitsu has said that it could cost up to $1K for the upgrade. How many of us will want to spend another $1K to upgrade a two year old Mitsu when a new one will probably perform better AND cost less than you'd pay for one now. [/b]
Considering the 73907 cost me 7 large, and since I doubt that in the next couple of years there will be any 9" gun sets that will be anywhere close to the price point you're thinking of, the $1k investment is reasonable. Of course, I'd be happy to participate in any class action suits! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Quote:
They also explicitly said they would not provide a DVI interface.

I stand corrected. But I'll take whatever they offer to future-proof my set, and to date they're the only ones who have made the statement. Marketing ploy or not, that puts the burden of duty on them, not me.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Considering the 73907 cost me 7 large
RSongco: good point. Sometimes, I only tend to consider those RPTVs that us poor folk can afford. The 73907 is the king of Mitsu non-DLP RPTVs and one set that I'd really be ticked about if Mitsu dropped you when the new interface is finalized. When you buy the best from a company... I believe they owe YOU some loyalty. Good luck and enjoy that big bubba in the meantime!

------------------

Take Care,

merc

DFAST, 5C, DVI, HDCP and Lewinski!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merc:
RSongco: good point. Sometimes, I only tend to consider those RPTVs that us poor folk can afford.
This sort of reminds me of that scene in The Jerk where that rich Texan was crying to Steve Martin about how his private jet had cracks in the upholstery. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Quote:
The 73907 is the king of Mitsu non-DLP RPTVs and one set that I'd really be ticked about if Mitsu dropped you when the new interface is finalized. When you buy the best from a company... I believe they owe YOU some loyalty. Good luck and enjoy that big bubba in the meantime!

Thanks, but I'm more concerned about my better half's reaction..."Honey, I know we deferred getting a new car so I could get this TV, but it's obsolete now, so would you mind very much if I raided junior's college fund to get the new 73999?" http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sean Nelson:
No they didn't. They said they would provide a Firewire/5C copy protection module. They also explicitly said they would not provide a DVI interface. But the satellite companies are pushing DVI...
I'm sorry but I need to correct you. Mits never stated in its news release that they would not provide a DVI interface. Here is the link off of the Mits website. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/promise.htm

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Quote:
Mits never stated in its news release that they would not provide a DVI interface.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the article you linked to is over a year old and well out of date. Check out this article on Mitsubishi's site.

The relevant passage is about 7 paragraphs down:

Quote:
MDEA also noted that DVI (Digital Video Interface) input is not part of its long-term product strategy because it is not networkable, controllable or recordable. Devices that support the DVI interface are really encouraging the demise of "Fair Use" home recording rights, because the DVI signal is not recordable
(MDEA is short for Mitsubishi Digital Electronics America).

Mits may decide to start including DVI on it's future sets, but it doesn't look to me like they think they're obligated to do so for existing sets via a "promise module".

From what I can see, there is a gap between the STB manufacturer's plans and those of the display manufacturers. This makes me think that a resolution is not imminent and if you want to wait for clear direction and product availability you are probably going to have to wait for a fair bit of time.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Pick the TV you want and buy it. It will be literally years before the DVI / 5C thing is resolved, and by that time there will be multiple millions of component HD TV's out there, and the question becomes: What is more important to Congress, millions of votes or Hollywood copy protection. You make the call.

Mike

[This message has been edited by MikeKO (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi All,

HAVi is not DVI.

HAVi is a device command struture use to control other devices (STB, VCRs, ETC) via a Firewire network that is connected to a HDTV Display.

Firewire enabled HDTVs will be available this fall. Mitsubishi and Sony are releasing new Intergated HDTVs with HDTV Tuners and IEEE.1394 Firewire interface. Yes it this fall. Mitsubishi Digital VCR with Firwire interface is already listed on their web-site.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeKO:
Pick the TV you want and buy it. It will be literally years before the DVI / 5C thing is resolved, and by that time there will be multiple millions of component HD TV's out there, and the question becomes: What is more important to Congress, millions of votes or Hollywood copy protection. You make the call.
I have to disagree. There won't be millions more sets out there (or at least not millions more tuners--the statistics people keep quoting include 4:3 sets capable of interpreting HD component video but incapable of displaying even 720p) unless the sets get much cheaper and there's much more programming and it's all available on cable systems in all the major cities of America, the TV source of 70% of the viewing public. There are serious chicken-and-egg problems here.

Congress cannot compell Hollywood to offer their "A" material for broadcast in HD in the clear, so I don't see what they have to do with it. It's clear that Hollywood ain't gonna keep broadcasting it without some form of copy protection, at least not in HD. And why would Congress care if a few choice programs coming over your HD component video got down-rez'd anyway? You can still get all the OTA stuff in full HD and I think that's what the FCC is most concerned about, though they, at least in theory, hold jurisdiction over cable and DBS as well.

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 08-10-2001).]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.