AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Toshiba 65H80 should be here any day. I am wondering if I should get an ISF calibration right away or wait around five months? It seems I've read both here.

Thank you

-Tim

------------------

Remember to write letters to channels that have HDTV thanking them, and to channels that should have HDTV requesting it. For example, ESPN, Fox Sports Net, Discovery channel and the NASA channel.

·
Registered
609 Posts
i have a 56H80. My wife would not watch it until it was calibrated. That said, it will drift more in the first months so may need a turn up in a year.

------------------

·
Registered
87 Posts
when i got my 56h80 i waited about a month and had it done then it went dead 1 week later 3 months later i got a new tv from toshiba so this time i think ill wait awhile bye bye money

·
Registered
61 Posts
Timwit,

Louis Carliner (as ISF master) will be here in Denver at the end of the month. We can do some things to get your TV in shape if you want it calibrated on Louis's ISF tour of Colorado. Send me an email and I can give you some help along with details on the price/services etc of the calibration tour.

Zephyr

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone else have an opinion as to how soon to get ISF calibration?

-Tim

------------------

Remember to write letters to channels that have HDTV thanking them, and to channels that should have HDTV requesting it. For example, ESPN, Fox Sports Net, Discovery channel and the NASA channel.

·
Banned
410 Posts
I waited a year to get mine done.

In my opinion it is a judgement call.

When you get the TV, you will have to decide how you like the picture. If there are somethings with it you absolutely can't stand and absolutely must have fixed, then get it done right away. But know that after the TV "burns in" you might have to get the whole thing done over again.

My TV had a terrible red push, but I put up with it because I didn't want two calibrations and effectively pay twice.

Of course you could get lucky and have it done right away and not need another ISF ever, but based on what I have read in this forum and in other places it is unlikely.

My $.02 worth.

Rick

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i've had my tosh 56x81 about a year and finally have some money to get calibrated.

i'm a little south of philly,pa.

anyone have any experience with a calibrater in this area and what would be a good list of questions i should ask ?

thanks.

·
Registered
401 Posts
whotony,

The only place in our area that is ISF certified is Bob & Ron's World Wide Stereo in Montgomeryville, PA. This is north of Philly, way up Rt. 309. Here is the link:
http://isolde.membrane.com/index.html

754 Route 309

Montgomeryville, Pennsylvania 18936

Store (215)368-8343 · Fax (215)855-9306

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi ya folks,

The figure of 100 hrs has been used a a general rule. Theoretically, one can get it anytime. I however would advise folks to delay it until after a few months of use.

Mortality rate is normally high during the initial weeks of operation so if it fails early, at least the calibration as well as your hard earned cash would not go to waste.

For more info on calibration, go here .

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
What about if you might be moving in a few months? Are the settings going to have to be reset after the move? I can see how some things might need changing after moving the TV.

Are these settings all very unstable or is it just the focus setting that could go out of whack?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I have found that the magical 100 hr ... or 1 month ... or what have number has much more to do with waiting for infant mortality to occur than drift in the set up.

I have calibrated sets only days old at various clients homes and have done return visits in 6 months time to find absolutely no change in the grayscale.

You just don't want to be shelling out your hard earned bucks on a set that will belly up on you in the first month of its life. So wait a bit.

Regards

------------------

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

[This message has been edited by Michael TLV (edited 05-24-2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
What should a good ISF technician know how to do. I've read about all these adjustments and techniques.

Should they all know how to do them or is that just something that an ISF "God" does?

- String Method of Mechanical Focus

- Guy Kuo Lens Striping Technique

- Disabling the Scan-velocity

- The Herman TLV maneuver

- RedPush adjustment or insertion of attenuator inline

I've called about 3-4, ISF certified techs in the Denver area and none of them have heard of these things??

So, what makes them ISF Certified?

Lastly, do these "Gods" go on tours around the country setting up sets by appointment?

·
Registered
636 Posts

I had a similar concern of calibating my Tosh 56" since I am definitely moving out of my apt in Oct, and wanted to know if I could get my set calibrated now or wait.

Most of the responses were, if the TV set is moved right, only convergence will change, which you can do it yourself. Ofcourse you can always have ISF calibrator to do a touch-up where charges are typically @$75+/hr-and this should come to $150 max.

Cheers,

Kishore

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was not able to use Louis Carliner because my new set would have only been a week old when he was in the Denver area. I have had the Toshiba 65H80 for 5 week now and am so pleased with it that I'm not sure how much I need an ISF calibration.

Although I must admit, there are some imperfection: 1)with really bright seens there seems to be a line from top to bottom down the middle, 2) You know that seen of the moon on the Dish HD demo there's a light green circle above the moon which I've seen on other programming as well, and 3)on a 2.35:1 there is less of a black bar on the top right than the top left, it's like the whole picture is turned slightly.

Since I missed Louis's tour what are my options (I live 70 miles west of Denver). I also own a Denon 5800 which I currently use cheap speakers for. Should I wait till after I get some good speakers for the ISF tech, or do they only deal with video and not audio.

Thank you for your expertise. I have maid a lot of smart buying decisions because of it.

-Tim

------------------

Remember to e-mail ESPN, Fox Sports Net and The Discovery Channel often, requesting HDTV.

Click here to e-mail ESPN

Click here to e-mail Fox Sports

Click here to e-mail Discovery Channel

·
Registered
8,143 Posts
Kishore, care to elaborate on moved right? What's that mean? The next move will involve pro movers and all I think I'll be doing is watching.

It's helpful advice and if search was I may of found where you got that advice. Do you know a url for that topic? I'd like to check it out.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi santellavision,

You can find out more about http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo/isf.html]ISF calibration[/isf] at my site.

Michael TLV presently is the only calibrationist in the industry that offer the Lenstriping and H-TLV maneuver. If you want basic calibration, then there's a lot to choose from. But if you want to really get every performance out of your set, then Michael would be your choice.

Yes, calibrationists take on calibration tours. There are announcements all over this board and others about this. A quick search should give you an idea who's going to be on the road soon. There are a few listed at my site as well.

Hope that helps some.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Timwit,

I'm in Golden,CO and am wanting to get my set calibrated by one of the "top" ISF guys. Email me and let me

know if your interested and maybe we can put together another tour for Louis Carliner or Michael TLV to come down.

Anyone else interested in the Denver area, drop me an email too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.