AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious when you all installed your screens....before or after the carpet was installed? I still have to do all the crown, chair and base molding in the theater but most major construction is done besides the carpet. My projector is being delivered on monday and I need to build a hushbox for it. But before that I need to make sure it is properly aligned with the screen. SO...do you think it is safe to install the screen prior to capret install? I am just worried the scren might get damaged when they install the carpet..(and maybe get dusty between now and then)..but I really want to test the projector and make sure everything works and build my hushbox... any suggestions?

Thanks

P.S. the screen is a Stewart Deluxe Screen Wall, Studiotek 130, microperf, 120" diag.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,601 Posts
If you have the same mount method as my stewart deluxe.......the brackets simply slide over 4 large screws and can be removed by lifting up 2 inches and pulling toward you. I've had mine up and down twice already and the carpet is not in yet. Mine is a 100 inches and I can do it myself, at 120 I'd get help. It will be in the next room during the carpet install.

As an alternative you could put the frame together and mount it without the screen material (this is the first step in the regular hanging sequence anyway) then drape a sheet to check the alignment and start watching although this will really slow down the construction process.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im going to be using the aperature mount method. I really havent looked at the bracket that comes with this.

I really have no where to temporarily put the screen during carpet install other than upstairs since the whole basement is being finished...If i try to bring the screen assembled...upstairs...it just increases the possibilty of damaging the screen.

Maybe I will try to assemble just the frame and use a sheet or two to align my projector so i can build the box.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,601 Posts
I just looked at the manual. I used the quick snap mount, the aperture is different and is more permanent. I also see from the instructions that you need to be able to access the rear of the screen for this type of installation and then be able to exit with the screen in position. I hope you have an escape route.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes I do have space all around the screen wall to access the rear of the screen....that would be funny if my wife found me trapped behind my screen wall.

ANybody else with any experiences or suggestions on when to hang the screen?

thanks.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buggdog
Im just curious when you all installed your screens....before or after the carpet was installed? I still have to do all the crown, chair and base molding in the theater but most major construction is done besides the carpet. My projector is being delivered on monday and I need to build a hushbox for it. But before that I need to make sure it is properly aligned with the screen. SO...do you think it is safe to install the screen prior to capret install? I am just worried the scren might get damaged when they install the carpet..(and maybe get dusty between now and then)..but I really want to test the projector and make sure everything works and build my hushbox... any suggestions?

Thanks

P.S. the screen is a Stewart Deluxe Screen Wall, Studiotek 130, microperf, 120" diag.
Don't let yourself get to eager.

Get all of your cutting done before your screen is up. Clean the place up and then figure out where your screen will line up with the pj and where and how big your hush box will be located.

If you have felt on your screen frame, you could bugger it up in a construction environment.

Craig

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Never thought about building a theater room (in the basement) until after I bought the projector and found out that neither a big screen nor the light level would work out in the living room.

I decided to install the screen when the theater room framing was almost done. The screen can swing up against the ceiling and out of the way if needed. I figure that any dust that collected on the screen could be gently blown off.

Decided I would set up the equipment also so I could enjoy movies now, at the risk of slowing the construction.

View:
http://members.aol.com/stlight5/front3a.jpg

(View shows expected positions of speakers and wall sconces and decorative rope lighting.)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb3rd
I am anal about things and I think I would make the screen the absolute last thing. Not worth taking a chance IMHO.
Agreed. My screen had me as nervous as could be when the carpet guys were doing their install. Also had to do a 2nd coat of paint on the ceiling after the screen was in (I did some touchup work on the first coat and it was VERY obvious), and that was unnerving as well - even after sealing it off really well with plastic sheeting.

Even after the room is done though, it's still not 100% safe. I was dinking with the rope lights in my soffits and bumped the ladder - it almost fell right into the screen but I caught it on the way down. :eek:

When I build another one someday in the distant future, the screen will be the VERY last thing I put up! (though that's easy to SAY...)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Initially, I had the same concerns. I went ahead and mounted the screen anyway before the carpet was installed and there were no problems. If you have a reputable company installing your carpet, they, theoretically, would be responsible for any damage. And, as someone previously mentioned, the screen does come off easily, which means you can ask the installers if they prefer that you remove it once they get there.

Now, I would definitely wait if there is still painting or sanding to do.

On a different note, did you already install the GOM on your screen wall? The reason I ask is that you will want to be sure to account for where the brackets will go and position the furring strips accordingly. That was one of the most helpful peices of advice that I read here during my HT construction.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I will wait a bit longer to install the screen. At least until all the moulding is up (except for the moulding around the hush box). THanks for all the helpful information and experiences. I just dont want to jump the gun and regret it.

How sturdy is the screen frame without the screen installed? I am thinking I want to assemble the frame only and make sure it will fit properly and everything before I cover the wall with GOM.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I installed my projector and screen while the walls were bare studs....just temporarily to make sure everything worked. Well, That was in November....the walls are still bare studs, there's just over 300 hours on my projector and a big stack of drywall under a few cans of paint in the garage.

Maybe this weekend. :D

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hehe...thats what im afraid will happen to me if i install the screen...all construction will come to a halt. I just hooked up my 3106 Grafik Eye tonight and it worked! I am so relieved. Now I have lots of trim to hang.

Any info on how study the screen frame is? can I assemble it easily to try to place it in the opening to confirm it fits?

·
Registered
224 Posts
LAST!!!! Otherwise you won't get any work done!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.