AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of new and have searched the forum for this, but haven't found exactly what I've needed. I do know enough to get into trouble, but that's about it.

I have a Geforce TI4200 and an AIW 9700 Pro. I have a Sony KP-46WT500 HDTV that I'd like to use for gaming, it's got a DVI and component inputs. I would like to use the Geforce card since it has a DVI output with powerstrip to tv, but a lot of messages say to use the component dongle or VGA. I think I should be able to use the DVI output, but wanted to check and make sure. (I ask this just because I've had problems with the AIW 9700 and its compatibility with its own drivers and Direct X9.0.)

Any help or comments would be great, I'd like to get it looking awesome before Half-life 2 comes out. I've downloaded a lot of the stuff for newbies and am reading through it, also. Thanks.

I

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
VGA is the normal way computers connect to their monitors. But you don't have a computer monitor; you have a TV. If it doesn't have a VGA input, you can't use one. To use VGA output from the computer, you'd have to have a converter to some kind of input the TV has. A video card with an output that's meant for talking to TVs, such as component, composite, or DVI, doesn't need such converters; you just use what's there.

A dongle is such an adapter, so you don't need to mess with it, since you already have an output on your computer that matches one of the inputs on your TV. Just get the cord that would plug straight from one to the other.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the info, anything that gets me over the "just enough to get in trouble" hill. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to break my new tv, then I'd have to go out into the living room where the girlfriend is. Then I'll have to take out the trash... etc.

I'm going to try the DVI cable to the TV this weekend and see what it's all about. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.