AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would imagine that you could setup a HTPC with a radeon for half the price of the PS DVD/iScan combo.

What would be the benefits of the iscan combo over the HTPC, is it simply ease of use?

Aaron

edit: I just realized a Progressive Scan dvd player means u dont need an iscan. Just assume the dvd is in interlaced mode and is using the better scaler in the iscan.

[This message has been edited by AaronNWilson (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
From what I've read, you probably don't need the iScan Pro (sold for about $800+ new here in the AVS Store). The iScan Plus V2 has the same squeeze feature as the Pro (which I think may be of use if you're using a 16:9 screen, I'm still trying to figure this out myself). If we're talking about an iScan Plus, the cost should be significantly less than using an HTPC. Simplicity and cost would then be the major benefits.

Scott

[This message has been edited by srauly (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Aaron,

The Iscan will provide a very good picture but you are limited to a 480p resolution.

With a Radeon equipped HTPC running your LT 150's native 1024x768 resolution there will be a definitive improvment thanks to the increased resolution. Price wise, if you have a computer already that can be upgraded, you can have a high quality scaler for under $500 CND. If you were to build an entire HTPC from scratch then you are looking at around 1k for a good quality HTPC. This excludes seperate items such as a Pronto for system automation. I could not live without mine now than everything is properly configured.

------------------

Serge Breton

LaSalle Custom Audio/Video

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Iscan pro can handle component, S-video, VGA pass through, and composite I believe (can't remember for sure). Plus V.2 can only do 2 Svideo and composite with color control. Plus V.1 does not have color control. Definitely HTPC is the best image quality. Iscan offer ease of use and source switching.

------------------

Huey ;-]

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It all depends on what you want to do. Remember that a HTPC can always be upgraded to accept newer technologies. Right now you can connect a lot of stuff to a PC you just can not do with a PS2 and iscan. You can connect a digital camera or camcorder through usb or firewire to edit and also give slide shows or home movie presentations. You can play all PC games at higher resolutions than the PS2. You can listen to MP3's downloaded from the internet (provided the PC has a sound card and because you want to watch DVD's I assume this PC will have one). The most interesting hopeful would be the introduction of HD DVD's. When these are released you can be sure that it will be cheaper to add it to a computer instead of buying a set box.

But, for now, if all you want to do is watch DVD movies, ease of use might lean to the PS2 (I think picture quality from a HTPC would be better).

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Search for my review/comparison of the two. Should hopefully answer your questions.

------------------

/frode

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.