AVS Forum banner

When using OPTICAL BITSTREAM connection from PS3 to receiver, which audio track?

2890 Views 13 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  PooperScooper
What audio track is most preferred when using the PS3 connected via optical to a receiver?


I know it transcodes it or whatever anyway... just wondering which is best in this configuration
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Dolby Digital for most discs. If you select PCM, it'll give you the DD track anyway. The PS3 does NOT transcode Blu-Ray audio.


If it has a DTS-HD HR/MA track, select that, and you'll get the 1.5Mb legacy DTS core.
say if you play dolby plus at 1.5mpbs or dolby true via optical cable it will be drop down to the receiver audio.
so DTS-HD --> DTS Core preferred, otherwise DD+?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu /forum/post/12934736


say if you play dolby plus at 1.5mpbs or dolby true via optical cable it will be drop down to the receiver audio.

DD+ at 1.5Mbps has not been used yet on Blu-Ray, and DD+ CANNOT be used for 5.1 audio, under any circumstances. For lossy 5.1 tracks, it's either DD (not plus) at 640kbps or DTS at 1.5Mbps. And both can be sent through S/PDIF (optical or coaxial digital).

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy /forum/post/12934792


so DTS-HD --> DTS Core preferred, otherwise DD+?

Replace DD+ with DD, and you've got it exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 /forum/post/12934893


DD+ at 1.5Mbps has not been used yet on Blu-Ray, and DD+ CANNOT be used for 5.1 audio, under any circumstances. For lossy 5.1 tracks, it's either DD (not plus) at 640kbps or DTS at 1.5Mbps. And both can be sent through S/PDIF (optical or coaxial digital).



Replace DD+ with DD, and you've got it exactly right.

ok, so when i go to set up on a title, what are the preferred order of audio track selection?


pick THIS if available, if NOT pick this and so on...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdblu /forum/post/12934902


if you play dolby plus you are not getting dolby plus it will drop down to about 700khz you will not be getting 1.5mpbs

You are correct, but not for the reason you think. Again, DD+ CANNOT be used for a 5.1 soundtrack on Blu-Ray UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. It's strictly prohibited by the specs. DD+ is an extension packet that adds a 7th and 8th channel to a pre-existing 5.1 DD mix, and also replaces the surround channels in that 5.1 DD track. DD+ can NOT be used to increase the bitrate of the front three channels or LFE.


Just like DTS-HD, if you play back a DD+ 6.1/7.1 track via a player or interconnect that does not support it, you get the core DD track. the DD+ extension packet is ignored. But there are very few DD+ tracks on Blu-Ray (maybe a dozen at most), so this is largely irrelevant anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy /forum/post/12934915


ok, so when i go to set up on a title, what are the preferred order of audio track selection?


pick THIS if available, if NOT pick this and so on...?

DTS or DTS-HD (both will give you a 1.5Mbps DTS track), then DD (which will be 640kbps). If neither is listed, select TrueHD and you'll get the "hidden" DD track. PCM should be your last choice, but it should also give you the DD track, except for Sopranos Season 6.


If DD+ is listed, you CAN select it. As I point out above, you'll get the core DD track @ 640kbps, without the surround rear channels (5.1 instead of 6.1 or 7.1). There just aren't very many DD+ tracks, and I was just trying to make you aware of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 /forum/post/12934974


DTS or DTS-HD (both will give you a 1.5Mbps DTS track), then DD (which will be 640kbps). If neither is listed, select TrueHD and you'll get the "hidden" DD track. PCM should be your last choice, but it should also give you the DD track, except for Sopranos Season 6.


If DD+ is listed, you CAN select it. As I point out above, you'll get the core DD track @ 640kbps, without the surround rear channels (5.1 instead of 6.1 or 7.1). There just aren't very many DD+ tracks, and I was just trying to make you aware of that.

and while we're on this topic, IF i were to buy a receiver with hdmi input that DOES NOT support 1.3a/DTS-HD etc (which ps3 should soon right?), would I see ANY advantage over my current optical audio connection?


If not i'll keep what I have, I like to run my video connections DIRECTLY to the display anyway


My logic says optical would be better than LPCM over HDMI in any variation of settings, but surely I could be wrong


edit: furthermore, howcome when using a DTS source, most people boost the DTS LFE? I've always left mine at 0, does DTS produce less LFE than other formats?
See less See more
2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy /forum/post/12935034


and while we're on this topic, IF i were to buy a receiver with hdmi input that DOES NOT support 1.3a/DTS-HD etc (which ps3 should soon right?), would I see ANY advantage over my current optical audio connection?

ABSOLUTELY. You will be able to take full advantage of the LPCM tracks present on many discs, as well as the TrueHD tracks that are starting to show up, and DTS-HD once onboard decoding is added to the PS3. Lossless audio is a whole other world, and I highly recommend joining the party.


Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy /forum/post/12935034


My logic says optical would be better than LPCM over HDMI in any variation of settings, but surely I could be wrong

This is incorrect. LPCM, TrueHD, and (hopefully soon) DTS-HD output as LPCM over HDMI is vastly superior to lossy DD and DTS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy /forum/post/12935034


edit: furthermore, howcome when using a DTS source, most people boost the DTS LFE? I've always left mine at 0, does DTS produce less LFE than other formats?

This someone else will have to help you with. I put a 10dB boost across the board, and don't discriminate between soundtracks. I haven't noticed a problem with any soundtracks that way. But LFE is not my forte (only had my sub for 2 months
).
See less See more

Quote:
Originally Posted by geko29 /forum/post/12935363


ABSOLUTELY. You will be able to take full advantage of the LPCM tracks present on many discs, as well as the TrueHD tracks that are starting to show up, and DTS-HD once onboard decoding is added to the PS3. Lossless audio is a whole other world, and I highly recommend joining the party.




This is incorrect. LPCM, TrueHD, and (hopefully soon) DTS-HD output as LPCM over HDMI is vastly superior to lossy DD and DTS.



This someone else will have to help you with. I put a 10dB boost across the board, and don't discriminate between soundtracks. I haven't noticed a problem with any soundtracks that way. But LFE is not my forte (only had my sub for 2 months
).

well i need a newer receiver anyway, you might have just convinced me to grab a RX-V661 or something :p


and hell, this might be a audio area discussion, but what's *THE* best bang for the buck HDMI receiver anyway this year or last?
Honestly, you probably won't have to select anything. For titles with PCM and those with TrueHD and a separate DD track (some Warner titles), the DD will be the default track anyway. For Sony titles with TrueHD, the parallel DD track will just play automatically since you can't decode TrueHD, and for Fox/New Line titles the DTS core will play because you can't decode DTS-HD MA.


There may be a few titles with both DD and DTS, so for those you would probably want to select DTS, but I don't know of any examples or exceptions to the above. It's probably a good idea for anyone (regardless of audio capability) to get into the habit of always checking the audio options anyway to see what's available, rather than having to keep track of which studio uses what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostfrenzy /forum/post/12935432


and hell, this might be a audio area discussion, but what's *THE* best bang for the buck HDMI receiver anyway this year or last?

I'm quite partial to the '07 Onkyo line myself. The TX-SR605 seems to be the best bang/buck around, with HDMI 1.3a, support for all the new codecs (because you'll eventually have a player that can bitstream), and is just generally a quality unit for ~$400.
Sorry, you can't keep changing subjects.
Take it to the receiver forum.


larry
See less See more
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top