AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how long it will be until 4K DLP projectors start showing up for purchase at an affordable price (say under $2500 MSRP). A year, two or three years...or more? I'm not really into 4K tv's but with a 100" image I could definitely appreciate the extra detail at 8 or 9 ft away

I do know about some of the newly affordable LCD 4K projector that are still priced pretty high such as the Sony ES1000 and the JVC. But I'm not really interested in LCD projection or in paying that much

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
Your guess is as good as mine, Does Texas Instruments have a 4k chip ? ( theater projectors are 4k so there must be one). The Sony and JVCs are LCOS (liquid crystal on silicone) not traditional LCD

·
Registered
123 Posts
They have a 4k chip, but not a "consumer" (< 1 inch, like the .65 ones that are used in every < $10,000 DLP projector) one. Most of the noises that have been reported around here is that they will not have one until 2015.

·
Registered
40 Posts
4k resolution meeh, big commercial cinemas should use them... but looking at 'movie like picture' from a distance eg. 5 meters which is presented in 4k doesn't look good, it's too photorealistic from what I've seen. 1080p and a very good optics is much more important, that is why 3 chip DLPs are unbeatable in term of cinema picture.

And at last, new bluray movies in 4k? U need new player, new receiver, new cables, etc... Maybe in 2-3 years I may be interested in, but not now.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deffusse  /t/1525628/when-will-affordable-home-dlp-4k-projectors-start-showing-up#post_24564556

4k resolution meeh, big commercial cinemas should use them... but looking at 'movie like picture' from a distance eg. 5 meters which is presented in 4k doesn't look good, it's too photorealistic from what I've seen. 1080p and a very good optics is much more important, that is why 3 chip DLPs are unbeatable in term of cinema picture.

And at last, new bluray movies in 4k? U need new player, new receiver, new cables, etc... Maybe in 2-3 years I may be interested in, but not now.
Current HDMI 1.4 specifications allow for UHD/24 and all existing high-speed cables are supposed to work with ALL 4K formats announced. So, really it may just end up being a BD player which is needed.

I'm not sure why a commercial cinema should use them while we shouldn't use them at home considering the point of home theater is to bring the commercial cinema to our homes. I've seen the Sony 600ES and it is the best looking image I've ever seen in a home theater projector. So, I'm completely down with 4K when it comes to our homes.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deffusse  /t/1525628/when-will-affordable-home-dlp-4k-projectors-start-showing-up#post_24564556

I will have to disagree.

After viewing sony 4k projector none of the dlp 2k projector even come close. I was watvhing gravity on the 500es today on a 10 feet wide screen in 3d and was totally blown away. Felt like looking out the window and I could stand 6 feet away.

You can't do that with a 2k projector.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I don't think I've ever heard the argument that the video look 'too real' before. I thought that was the point. my goal for my home theater is NOT to put me in the commercial theater(in fact I would hate for that do be the case, it would be a drastic decrease in quality and enjoyment), but to me in the movie.

Reactions: AV_Integrated

·
Registered
6,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1525628/when-will-affordable-home-dlp-4k-projectors-start-showing-up#post_24748391

I don't think I've ever heard the argument that the video look 'too real' before. I thought that was the point. my goal for my home theater is NOT to put me in the commercial theater(in fact I would hate for that do be the case, it would be a drastic decrease in quality and enjoyment), but to me in the movie.

If you want to be "in" the movie, then it's probably a better idea to be hopeful that the Oculus Rift or Project Morpheus VR helmets will eventually take you in that direction. Kinda hard to be "in" the movie if you're standing outside of the movie.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1525628/when-will-affordable-home-dlp-4k-projectors-start-showing-up#post_24752110

If you want to be "in" the movie, then it's probably a better idea to be hopeful that the Oculus Rift or Project Morpheus VR helmets will eventually take you in that direction. Kinda hard to be "in" the movie if you're standing outside of the movie.

agree to disagree then.

the screen is merely the direction I'm looking. the director can still decide what I see, so that I don't miss anything important.

my point is that the movie theater is not the pinnacle of movie presentation, and it should not be the goal. if there were the case, then the extra channels of the 7.1 soundtrack would be for ppl chewing, whispering, laughing, and giving you random spoilers. there would be a soft glow on the bottom corners from where the daylight shines in through the crack in the door, and ppl would be hanging bright red EXIT signs a couple inches from their display.

I have a similar opinion of music reproduction. I don't think the goal is to hear what the concert hall sounds like at home. the goal is to hear what the artist imagine in his/her head. the concert hall, or my speakers, or headphones, are just methods of achieving that goal,

I don't believe commercial theaters have achieve perfection, and it's silly to use anything other than perfection as your target. you don't have to reach your target(nobody will have a perfect theater), but your goal should be to move towards that target, always.

if you prefer, you can use the 'looking through a window' concept as well. I'd rather feel like my screen is a window into the movie, rather than a screen at the front of the movie theater.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
I think you are taking the reproduction thing a bit too seriously. Nobody is trying to re-create the sticky floors, and the guy sitting in front of you with the huge head, etc, etc. People are trying to re-create the "ideal" theater experience, without all the bullcrap.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1  /t/1525628/when-will-affordable-home-dlp-4k-projectors-start-showing-up#post_24755559

I think you are taking the reproduction thing a bit too seriously. Nobody is trying to re-create the sticky floors, and the guy sitting in front of you with the huge head, etc, etc. People are trying to re-create the "ideal" theater experience, without all the bullcrap.

I know, but I can't be serious on the internet...

I guess bottom line, the commercial movie theaters around me are not a good goal to replicate imo. I'd like to think that I have the same goal the theaters do, I'm just closer to achieving it than they are

·
Registered
7,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2  /t/1525628/when-will-affordable-home-dlp-4k-projectors-start-showing-up#post_24756453

How you going to watch 4k content exactly?
Not sure who that's for, but since we are talking sub $3,000 4K projectors, which will happen 'in the future', then we might as well talk about 'future' delivery methods of 4K, which will include Netflix, and likely will include an upgraded BD format. It's reasonable to expect Amazon to also stream 4K content as well. That's a pretty healthy way to go if you aren't interested in Sony's 4K player. Oh, and reports are that the PS4 and XB1 will support 4K content in the future.

Really, for movies shot at 24fps, you don't even need the HDMI 2.0 specification, but it seems silly to be considering displays which don't have that level of support.

I'm thinking that in the next 1-2 years we will get both. Sub $3,000 4K projectors and some means to deliver it to our homes with top shelf quality.

I'm in no rush, but am looking forward to all of it.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1525628/when-will-affordable-home-dlp-4k-projectors-start-showing-up#post_24759177

Not sure who that's for, but since we are talking sub $3,000 4K projectors, which will happen 'in the future', then we might as well talk about 'future' delivery methods of 4K, which will include Netflix, and likely will include an upgraded BD format. It's reasonable to expect Amazon to also stream 4K content as well. That's a pretty healthy way to go if you aren't interested in Sony's 4K player. Oh, and reports are that the PS4 and XB1 will support 4K content in the future.

Really, for movies shot at 24fps, you don't even need the HDMI 2.0 specification, but it seems silly to be considering displays which don't have that level of support.

I'm thinking that in the next 1-2 years we will get both. Sub $3,000 4K projectors and some means to deliver it to our homes with top shelf quality.

I'm in no rush, but am looking forward to all of it.

as somebody that used a CRT RPTV that was an 'HD' tv without hdmi inputs until just a year ago, I will agree this is an important thing to wait for, haha.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts