AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone has any idea? I would like to get one, but they seem to be at they are 2 years old and I feel like a new generation is comin sooner than later.

Anyone has some idea?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Anyone has any idea? I would like to get one, but they seem to be at they are 2 years old and I feel like a new generation is comin sooner than later.

Anyone has some idea?
If the past is any indication the 5010,5020 and 5030 were all the same projector with minor upgrades. The 5040 to 5050 was a minor upgrade so might expect the same for the 5060. Major revamp in maybe 2 years at least.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Real upgrades would be native 4K, solid light source or dynamic HDR tone mapping. For the first two it will be a few years for sure.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Because of the transmissive nature of LCD they have to put the driver transistors between the pixels thus the cause of SDE. Unless they can make them smaller to not worsen the SDE with 4x the pixels they would need to make the panel 4x the size costing a fortune in optics. LCD isn't fast enough to do a 4x shift. Unless they switch to LCOS a 4 k LCD chip is a long way off. If they want to keep it under $3k laser is also out. Take in point the laser driven LS500 MSRP is $4K. You might have hope for dynamic tone mapping.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Because of the transmissive nature of LCD they have to put the driver transistors between the pixels thus the cause of SDE. Unless they can make them smaller to not worsen the SDE with 4x the pixels they would need to make the panel 4x the size costing a fortune in optics. LCD isn't fast enough to do a 4x shift. Unless they switch to LCOS a 4 k LCD chip is a long way off. If they want to keep it under $3k laser is also out. Take in point the laser driven LS500 MSRP is $4K. You might have hope for dynamic tone mapping.
At least the 4k e-shift has gotten really good. The 5050/6050UB are amazing.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Less ambitous 9500 = 4K, DTM.
More ambitous 9500 = 4K, DTM, Laser
Surprising change 9500 = 4K, DTM, change in LCD tech to give more contrast and deeper blacks

General things epson could do with improving would be:
1. Minimuse the light loss with colour filter or get rid of it if possible or minimise the need for it by covering more of the colour range ****
2. More raw lumens (as its their unique selling point)
3. Better motion processing (because JVC&Sony are ahead by a medium margin)
4. Improved picture processing (because again, the two above are ahead by a small margin)
5. HDMI 2.1

I think better motion and picture processing should come hand in hand with DTM. To do DTM, they will need a lot more processing more so we might see a whole UI upgrade to be a lot more sleeker and modern than the current one.

If we move to laser or a newer tech.. who knows. I think Epson could do with improving contrast of panels with the budget optoma and benQ now looking into laser, but Epson can't get too close to N5 price because N5 offers a lot of value obviously in the PQ Epson can't compete with ATM.

Minimising light loss via the filter is IMO VERYYYYYY important because a lot of the brightness of the Epson is lost in HDR-mode which JVC PJs don't need to use as they cover more of the colour range. If epson can get this down to 20% or 30% light loss, it would be a massive massive massive improvement to HDR performance and lumen count AND it would give them A LOT more room to move in their HDR and DTM performance to compete with the JVCs in HDR performance.

Overall I think at this moment in time, Epson have sooooo many ways they CAN move and they have had A LOT of time due to COVID to develop and refine a product. JVC have set the precedent for the high-end and the budget brands are slowly creeping up to the rear.

My gut feeling is Epson will play it safe and release 9500 with 4K and DTM and call it a day. I hope they do more, I really do or at least release a higher end mode like a 9500X which has a laser, a better colour filter etc. as their customer service is second to none and they deserve to be rewarded in the projector-space for that. Sadly HDR is just VERY demanding and does require a higher contrast panel for specular highlight detail reproduction which Epson now has to deal with or lose out to JVC pretty strongly in HDR performance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If the past is any indication the 5010,5020 and 5030 were all the same projector with minor upgrades. The 5040 to 5050 was a minor upgrade so might expect the same for the 5060. Major revamp in maybe 2 years at least.

If its a major revamp in 2 years, I think we'll see a lot of the more enthusiast users move to JVC if JVC lower their price of entry for the N5mii.

As much as I love Epson, they are lagging behind in HDR badly for specular highlight reproduction (due to low contrast panels relavant to what HDR demands), the light loss from HDR, the native resolution issue for gaming, DTM which is almost essential for PJ HDR.

I guess either way Epson win. They are the kinds of sub £5000 in the UK for a PJ. Epson will only lose a small slice of that cake for those who are itching to taste the next level.

However I will say Epson are leaving themselves WIDE OPEN to a JVC attack. If JVC decided to just be total competitive crazy-men and release a dropdown JVC N5 for £3.5k or £4k, its the end of Epson for a lot of people inbetween models. Its a HUUUUGE blackhole in PJ-land that hasn't been addressed and surely its easier for JVC to release a cheaper version of their N series than it is for Epson to release a higher one. But then JVC might not want this smaller budget version to monopolise the bigger boys.

JVC's pricing structure looks overpriced tho. I have a gut feeling that the RRPs for the JVC lamp N series is actually the RRP for the JVC N laser series and JVC just tested the waters to set a price precedent. IF they add £1k to each of those prices, we probably get laser, and that will be easily justifiable for JVC users where their bulbs cost £500.

For epson users, I don't care for laser as the bulbs are so cheap and covered by 5 year warranty anyway.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You know what I bet Epson doesn’t release a native 4K projector. I bet they drop a 2716x1528 pixels .74” (3) chip projector that does a 2X shift for 4K.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
You know what I bet Epson doesn’t release a native 4K projector. I bet they drop a 2716x1528 pixels .74” (3) chip projector that does a 2X shift for 4K.
I'd be happy with that! Improve the color filter light loss for HDR, and they're good to go!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts