AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok not crying at all about this. I went out and got a 46" sony s5100 for in June when it was on sale. Now I just saw somewhere the 40" sony v5100 for $900. I am think wow? So it has been discussed here before but when does sony, samsung start to really lower the pricing on lcd's to a constant below 1gran.

I guess what I am really trying to say when do the middle level TV's move to the $700 and maybe below pricing range and maybe the sony w series starts to arrive at say $1,200? Just wondering or maybe dreaming? Hey before someone starts with anything please just putting this out there. Also the pricing is kind of high for the complaints that are posted here on this site. Many have complained about 2grand for a 1 year wonder tv before it broke down and would not turn on again. Yes sony has always had a history of over pricing tv cause of its name.

· Registered
2,156 Posts
I would not say it is greed, more like market forces. I just paid under 2 grand for a 58 inch plasma to replace a smaller 52" Sony LCD that I paid around 4 grand for new. The 46" Sony I am watching the British Open on right now, paid around $1600 replaced a Sony RP LCD, the latest and greatest at the time, that I paid 3 grand for just a few years ago. The improvements in pq along with quite a price drop of 50% are outstanding in my book.

In regards to how long these sets will last? Who knows, I figure 5 years tops, and by then, the pricing should be down in a more reasonable range for many. I would say in the hundreds, that is how it usually works.

Mike

· Registered
360 Posts
My parents just bought a ln55b650 for less than $2000 to replace their dead 52" 4 year old $4500 DLP, top of the line as the time. The new sammy is twice the quality of the dlp, less than half the $'s. Great bargain. The 55" was $3500 to $3800 tv..........

· Registered
6,401 Posts
As a more extreme example, my first LCD projector (640 x 480) cost $7000, just over ten years ago. I now have a 1920 x 1080 LCD projector that cost under $2000. That's not even taking inflation into account.

It's all the result of manufacturing efficiency, higher production volume, and technological advances.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.