AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just wondering, when will Buffalo or even Rochester locals be avaliable in HD?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you look at WIVB-TV 4's home page, there's a small posting regarding signal strength, & transmitter updates. A recent article in the Buffalo Evening News mentioned a goal of a Nov/Dec/Jan time frame for OTA digital broadcasts for that station.

Here in Rochester, I've heard that WROC-TV 8 and WHEC-TV 10 will meet the May 1, 2002 FCC deadline (I don't know about Fox & ABC). Whether those digital signals will include pass-through of HDTV material is another issue.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just spoke with an engineer from WIVB (CBS-Buffalo) and he said they are ready to turn on the signal but due to the fact that they are close to the Canadian border they have to wait for Canadian approval. What's up with that? He said it (Canadian approval) could come as early as December 2001 or as late as May 2002. There ya go....Calls to WGRZ (NBC) and WKBW (ABC) were pretty much a waste of time as no one there seemed aware of any specific internal time-frame to go digitial.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys :),

I have an OT question about ch7. What is with their audio? I love it!!! Ch7 is the only channel that I can get where full sound is coming out of the rear speakers 24/7. The audio is even awsome when listening to it with my normal TV speakers. Ch10, from Rochester also has very good sound. I watch most of NASCAR races on ch 10 reather then ch2 becasue of the superior audio.

Steve

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
And I can still recall a year and a half ago when the head of LIN Television stood before the House Commerce Committee and told them that Buffalo would be up and running by December....of 2000!

·
Registered
312 Posts
A newer blurb on the WIVB Website stated they MAY be up and running by MARCH!!! I really wish DirecTV had a HDTV national package! :) I would get a HDTV receiver for my Panasonic 56" 16:9 HDTV Ready set then! :)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Hmm, Canadian border issues didn't stop the Detroit stations from getting on the air. Could it be the will of the local broadcasters that's the issue?

The sooner mid-sized markets like Buffalo, Little Rock, San Antonio and New Orleans get on the air, the sooner even small backwaters like Shreveport, La may be on the air.:cool:

Jim

·
Registered
312 Posts
Just got a reply back from WGRZ TV 2 (NBC) and WIVB TV 4 (CBS) and both said May 1, 2002 will be the date they are on the air. No word from FOX or ABC yet..

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow This thread is still alive from all those months ago :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.