AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, noob E here!


I'm pretty depressed right now as I have bought this whole new HT system, not high high end but descent than most people probably have (onkyo tx-sr876, sony ES2000 blue ray, 7.1 polk speakers + inherited velodyne sub , nice quality cables 14 & 12 gauge), yet there is no LCD in the market that I like.


There are no 37 inch LCD panels with 120hz refresh rate. Since I will be using the tv mostly for blue-ray and DVD upscaled, this is important because of the whole 24 frames dividing into 120 but not into 60hz (which is the refresh rate of all tv's 37 inch on the market now).


Does anyone know when the manufacturers will stop this stupidity and just include 120hz in anything smaller than 40 inch? That's just too big for my room where I live. No plasma choices that I know of at 37 either. I will not buy a tv so that in two years it's obsolete. I like futureproofing my expensive buys, I don't buy a TV every three years. Thank you for any tips!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,088 Posts
Why blame the manufacturers? I would blame the customers that try to drive every last penny out of every transaction. Customers are unwilling to pay for upscaled features on entry level products and smaller sizes. Until that changes expect manufacturers to offer lesser features on lesser models
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why should a simple matter of smaller screen size for a smaller space be 'a lesser product'? There is no excuse for not introducing higher refresh rates on smaller screens, or at least allow some sort of custom option just like computer manufacturers do with their chips, RAM, memory, and video cards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxebox /forum/post/15583052


Hello, noob E here!


I'm pretty depressed right now as I have bought this whole new HT system, not high high end but descent than most people probably have (onkyo tx-sr876, sony ES2000 blue ray, 7.1 polk speakers + inherited velodyne sub , nice quality cables 14 & 12 gauge), yet there is no LCD in the market that I like.


There are no 37 inch LCD panels with 120hz refresh rate. Since I will be using the tv mostly for blue-ray and DVD upscaled, this is important because of the whole 24 frames dividing into 120 but not into 60hz (which is the refresh rate of all tv's 37 inch on the market now).


Does anyone know when the manufacturers will stop this stupidity and just include 120hz in anything smaller than 40 inch? That's just too big for my room where I live. No plasma choices that I know of at 37 either. I will not buy a tv so that in two years it's obsolete. I like futureproofing my expensive buys, I don't buy a TV every three years. Thank you for any tips!

Sony will have 120hz in their 32" XBR9, so you'll most likely find a 37" w/ 120hz in some manufacturers early 2009 lineups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inter_112678 /forum/post/15583157


Sony will have 120hz in their 32" XBR9, so you'll most likely find a 37" w/ 120hz in some manufacturers early 2009 lineups.

Really? I hope so since I can get Sony TV's on the cheap (generally). I have been waiting over a year and a half. I was going to buy 40 inch but then realized it was just too darn big and to watch tv late at night in such a huge screen only 5 or 6 feet away would be unconfortable (specially non HD shows!).


Any idea when they will hit market?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
I'm confused?



You want a 37" LCD, but a 40" is too large?


Are you trying to fit it in a fitted space like a cabinet or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,123 Posts
Well, I think you're wildly overstating the importance of a higher refresh rate. But anyway, many companies have already announced smaller 120hz LCDs for 2009: Panasonic, Samsung, Vizio... basically everyone. You aren't going to have any trouble finding one if you just wait a few months.


BTW, larger LCDs will now have a 240hz refresh rate, so you will still have something to complain about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
Some TVs still display 24p. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 120hz TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,818 Posts
5-6 feet away from a 37" TV and you have a 7.1 speaker setup. Are you that guy in the TV commercials with the helment speakers and magnifying lens?


Your speakers gotta be pretty close together in such a small space.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe /forum/post/15583540


5-6 feet away from a 37" TV and you have a 7.1 speaker setup. Are you that guy in the TV commercials with the helment speakers and magnifying lens?


Your speakers gotta be pretty close together in such a small space.

There is a bit of room behind my bed, which acts as a couch, and the back walls. The sorrounds are on the side walls. Most movies don't come in 7.1 anyways but I'm futureproofed for that and for when I move. I also use the 2 back speakers as a 2nd source audio.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15583381


Well, I think you're wildly overstating the importance of a higher refresh rate. But anyway, many companies have already announced smaller 120hz LCDs for 2009: Panasonic, Samsung, Vizio... basically everyone. You aren't going to have any trouble finding one if you just wait a few months.


BTW, larger LCDs will now have a 240hz refresh rate, so you will still have something to complain about.

Perhaps it's overstaded but if I already have pretty decent consumer units for audio and blue ray, why ruin it with a TV that is just par? And No I won't complain about 240hz, I'll settle with 120hz. I just don't like how the 32 and 37 inch tvs currently in the market look. They have terrible pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeffcat /forum/post/15583247


I'm confused?



You want a 37" LCD, but a 40" is too large?


Are you trying to fit it in a fitted space like a cabinet or something?

That is true, I know that, I would prefer 32 but 37 is better than 40. Three inches diagonally does make a bit of a difference. It's not a cabinet, and it's not wall mounted. If I wall mount the unit the tv would be 8+ feet away instead of 6 and change.


Sorry about my ignorance everyone. May the Gods forgive me (I just feel like the responses were a bit snobish)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juxebox /forum/post/15584259


Sorry about my ignorance everyone. May the Gods forgive me (I just feel like the responses were a bit snobish)

Well, I think it's pretty ridiculous (and a bit snobbish) to say that currently available
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
The lower size TVs have piss poor black lvls compared to the big sized? That just doesn't make sense.. Why don't they just create every size with the same specs, it's kinda stupid that they slack on the lower size models, some people actually prefer 32" over 37" because they have small rooms..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi183 /forum/post/15584538


The lower size TVs have piss poor black lvls compared to the big sized?

No, all CCFL LCDs have piss-poor black levels. My point, and it's just my opinion, is that it's ridiculous for people to place so much emphasis on resolution and/or refresh rate when all of these TVs have such poor blacks. When
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,233 Posts
How in the world could a 40" be too big for any space? I could place a 40" on my desk and it not be a problem if I feed it HD all day.


Stop complaining and consider a 40" and the positives it can bring to your viewing as they are aplenty and pretty much don't cost much more than a 37". Just what do you think an extra 3" is going to do that is anything but GOOD or BETTER?


I could understand if you have a piece of furniture that locks you into 37" but if your free of that then what's the problem? I call this CRT Tubitis Dinosaur false thinking as a 16:9 panel displaying 1080 material with two million pixels will blow away a 36" CRT that had no such capablity - it didn't have two million pixels to work with while these do and enables a widescreen EXPERIENCE that permits much closer viewing with that pixel fill - don't be stuck on 480 concepts in a 1080P viewing distance world.


As a matter of fact the THX Viewing Distance when charted for a 6' viewing for a 40" with 1080P 16:9 is 4.5' ideally - is your room smaller than that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,795 Posts
I agree- that 37" seems large compared to your old tube but 5 minutes into a blu ray disc and you'll be wishing you had bought something bigger. Happened to me with my 37"- then happened again with my 46".


If I were you I'd look at 40"... Actually if I were you I'd be looking at 42"!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,027 Posts
Has the OP said why he wants a 37" HDTV? What is the actual difference size wise between a 37" and 42"? They are measured diagonally, not straight across? Right? We are talking what, 3 inches?


My 46" Bravia replaced one of the Sony 42" LCD WEGAs. And the 46" is still smaller footprint wise than the 42". I wonder if the op has taken a tape measure to a store?


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/15585083


How in the world could a 40" be too big for any space? I could place a 40" on my desk and it not be a problem if I feed it HD all day.


On your desk? Do you sit 6 feet from your desk?! It would simply be just too close to comfortably view the entire screen, even if the reoslution still looks fine. I don't know about this guys setup, but frankly a 32" in my small living room about 5 feet away is perfect for me. I could probably also work with a 37-40", although it wouldn't fit my current entertainment centre. But no larger.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top