AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

When will my Samsung 5674 arrive?

2K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  thamesjn 
#1 ·
Does anyone have reliable information about the release date of the Samsung 5674? I've heard lots of rumours, the most optomistic being October 22, 2004.

Also, does anyone know the specs on this unit, ie 7 v. 8 segment colour wheel etc. I have heard opinions that the set will be a step back from the Captain Kirk model while others have speculated that it will be identical to the Kirk model but for the pedestal.

#2 ·
Unfortunately with Samsung, until one shows up in a store, there is only speculation. Even their press releases are unreliable with regards to release dates. It drives me nuts (there's a bad pirate joke in there somewhere), because I am very interested in the 5674 as well.

With that said, this may (or may not) provide the information you are seeking: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=441598

#3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Knuck
Does anyone have reliable information about the release date of the Samsung 5674? I've heard lots of rumours, the most optomistic being October 22, 2004.

Also, does anyone know the specs on this unit, ie 7 v. 8 segment colour wheel etc. I have heard opinions that the set will be a step back from the Captain Kirk model while others have speculated that it will be identical to the Kirk model but for the pedestal.
Knuck -

Don't count on the 74's before the end of the year, if at all. Samsung's own store in NY throws their hands up in the air and shrugs their shoulders when anyone asks about it, and TVAuthority won't even think about taking a pre-order.

The only reason Oct. 22 is out there is because some yahoo at Tweeter's headquarters put that date in their national database, and Tweeter (along with their affiliates) started taking pre-orders, and a bunch of folks here began foaming at the mouth with excitement. Oct. 22 is three days away, and I guarantee you Tweeter won't have any 74's anywhere near their warehouse, let alone anyone here having one in their living room. Anyone who thinks they will have this set soon is delusional.

Unless you have incredible patience, there are much better options out there.

#4 ·
---Does anyone have reliable information about the release date of the Samsung 5674?---

No.

And it will have only a 6 segment wheel, and the light engine will NOT be the same as in the Kirk. The original plan to make it a tabletop version of the Kirk dissolved long ago.

#5 ·
tjk, I don't want this to stray too far OT, but you've been backing the RCAs over the Sammies. Could you list out say 3 to 5 areas where the RCA outperforms the Samsung HLP line? I've been drinking the Samsung kool-aid, but maybe I need to look at the RCAs before I make my purchase in mid-November.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by luebster
tjk, I don't want this to stray too far OT, but you've been backing the RCAs over the Sammies. Could you list out say 3 to 5 areas where the RCA outperforms the Samsung HLP line? I've been drinking the Samsung kool-aid, but maybe I need to look at the RCAs before I make my purchase in mid-November.
Luebster -

I'd be happy to. First, however, let me say that my opinions are only my own, are in no way expert (if there really are "experts" who tell you what you should like), and the best TV is the one that looks best to you, so you should definitely look at whatever you buy and decide for yourself. But there are some emperical facts.

The HLP line (excluding the Kirk, which has outstanding PQ but a quirky, impractical design, IMO) uses the HD3 chip. The HD3 is smaller and cheaper to produce than the HD2 or HD2+. And to my eyes, that shows in PQ. The picture is not as crisp or sharp, blacks are not as black as the HD2+ (contrast ratio is lower). To make matters worse, despite being a budget chip, the prices are not budget level yet. A 46" Toshiba or 50" RCA is cheaper than a comparable Samsung unit. Samsung is still trying to squeeze a premium out of their HLP's, but prices are dropping.

Many folks, including myself, were waiting for the 74's because of the form of the case. It has a center channel shelf (although it is small). However, the furniture market is catching up, and there are now add-ons from companines like Sanus and Omnimount that make center channel shelves that attach to TV's. Also, the 74's have two digital inputs (DVI and HDMI). There are several work-arounds to this - an HDMI or DVI switcher for $250 (cables included), or a set with other digital inputs like fireware (1394). This is available on the Mits, RCA (163/165 series), and I believe the Toshiba HMX, among others.

So, ask yourself two questions:

1) If the HD3 is so great, why is no one else using it? Probably because they don't want their customers to look at it next to an HD2+ and move to another brand.

2) If there was such an outcry for DVI and HDMI on a set, why is it not more prevalent? Samsung themselves say they are going to drop the DVI input when their integrated X7 sets come out. Toshiba is putting two HDMI inputs on their HMX sets, but HDMI switching will soon trickle down to mid-end A/V receivers, so for future proofing your set, it's not really a critical need, although I do acknowledge it is a nice to have.

As far as the RCA's, I like them because they are an HD2+ that don't have the limitations of many of the other HD2+'s:

1) No ridiculous pedestal design (Samsung)

2) No side speakers (Toshiba, Panasonic)

3) No mirror-like glare screen (Mitsubishi). Supposedly the 725 series is better, but it's pretty expensive as well.

The picture is stunning. They also add a cable card and ATSC tuner, if that floats your boat (neither of which I want, but most TV's are going that way due to the FCC). Don't get me wrong, I love the picure on the Tosh and Mits as well, but the form doesn't fit my needs or tastes.

I'm excited to see what the 50" and 44" version of the 165 series will look like (I would actually prefer the 44" for my room). I would expect PQ to be identical to the 162's, but the cosmetic design of the floating screen, as well as the fireware inputs, will keep me waiting for a few more weeks at best. Otherwise, I would be happy with a 50" 162. I recommend you go to a Best Buy and see it. At a minimum, they have a no questions asked 30 day return policy.

If the 74's came out in the next couple of weeks and the PQ was good, I'd be happy to say so and purchase that. But no way will they be available.

Hope this helps.:)

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Knuck
There is a reference at Samsung's U.S. website for model 5674. It is in the accesories section with respect to its stand which also applies to the HLN 56 inch model.
That reference has been there forever. The 74's have been mentioned in Samsung brochures dating back to last May. Doesn't mean a thing, other than at one point they planned on having it out by now (the first brochure had a release date of June, 2004).

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tjk
Hope this helps.:)
It helps immensely. Thanks. I plan to have an HDTiVo, DVD player, and gaming console (either PS2 or XBOX...please let's not debate the consoles themselves) connected to the TV, along with the requisite 5.1 receiver pushing the audio for all these devices.

My plan included connecting the HDTiVo and DVD player via DVI and/or HDMI inputs and the console via component. Although the RCA has only 1 DVI compared to an additional HDMI on the Samsung, it appears as though I can still connect all three devices via DVI and component. Is there a discernable difference in PQ between DVI and component on the RCA? This may not be a dealbreaker for me, but it might if DVI is considerably better as the Sammy appears to hold a slight advantage on this point.

It looks like a portion of this evening will be spent at my nearest Best Buy. I hadn't even considered an RCA before today. In fact, I don't even think I realized RCA produced a DLP HDTV.

tjk, while I have you, could you elaborate more on what is meant by "floating screen?"

Thanks again.

#10 ·
Quote:
Although the RCA has only 1 DVI compared to an additional HDMI on the Samsung, it appears as though I can still connect all three devices via DVI and component.

The RCA has HDMI - same PQ as DVI, but also carries audio.

Is there a discernable difference in PQ between DVI and component on the RCA? This may not be a dealbreaker for me, but it might if DVI is considerably better as the Sammy appears to hold a slight advantage on this point.

I'm no expert on this, but there is a lot of discussion throughout this forum on the topic by people much more knowledgeable than me. I do know that the big advantage of HDMI/DVI is the ability to send a fully digital picture from your set top box or DVD player to the display, in the displays native resolution, so that the TV doesn't have to do any additional scaling. It also eliminates an A/D conversion in the STB/DVD player which could degrade PQ. How much is debatable, and I would think would be dependent on the

TV. I plan on getting an HDMI switch if my TV only has one input, so that I can send a pure digital signal in 720p to my display from my DirecTV HD receiver and upconverting DVD player, using the better scalers in my components. It also avoids the component having to do an A/D conversion, and upconverting DVD players (with a couple of exceptions that are basically no longer available) will not upconvert over component.

There is some discussion that last year's RCA's (and this year's Mits) put the HDMI input through an analog stage before display. This is based on what some folks gleaned from the service manuals. I have no idea if this is true on the current RCA units (one other big compaint about last year's RCA's not accepting a 720p signal has been corrected). I also plan to ignore it unless I see some noticable degredation in PQ. The Mitsibushi has an awesome picture, so even if it does do an analog conversion in the set, it isn't bothering my eyes at all. FWIW, the RCA specs do spell out that the HDMI output is a full digital transfer. What happens to the signal once it gets to the TV is still a question, but connected through HDMI, the TV will be getting a purely digital 720p (or 1080i, or whatever you send to it) signal to do it's work.

If it were me, and I was in your shoes, I would get a two way HDMI switch and hook up your Tivo and DVD player, and hook up the XBox through component. I am also not a gamer, so it's tough for me to relate to squeezing every bit of PQ out of a video game. You could always get an HDMI switcher with more than two inputs. Of course the price will go up.

tjk, while I have you, could you elaborate more on what is meant by "floating screen?"

Try this:

#11 ·
Alright...I think I'm finished drooling over that picture. It is definitely more beautiful than the slim-bezeled Samsung.

Perhaps you can clear up some lingering bit of confusion for me. If I'm reading it right, the RCA's native resolution is 720p and there apparently was some problem with prior model's ability to accept such a signal, but it has been resolved in the new (162, 163, 165) models?

HDTiVo can output at both 1080i and 720p...

DVD player is 480p...

It appears that XBOX can output both 1080i and 720p...

So given that, do you believe there would be any issue connecting the HDTiVo using component, DVD player using HDMI, and XBOX using component? The other alternative would be using HDMI switcher for HDTiVo and DVD player as you suggest you might do.

Thanks for all of your very detailed responses. You (and the rest of this forum, for that matter) have been a tremendous resource.

#12 ·
Quote:
Alright...I think I'm finished drooling over that picture. It is definitely more beautiful than the slim-bezeled Samsung.

Perhaps you can clear up some lingering bit of confusion for me. If I'm reading it right, the RCA's native resolution is 720p and there apparently was some problem with prior model's ability to accept such a signal, but it has been resolved in the new (162, 163, 165) models?

HDTiVo can output at both 1080i and 720p...

DVD player is 480p...

It appears that XBOX can output both 1080i and 720p...

So given that, do you believe there would be any issue connecting the HDTiVo using component, DVD player using HDMI, and XBOX using component? The other alternative would be using HDMI switcher for HDTiVo and DVD player as you suggest you might do.

Thanks for all of your very detailed responses. You (and the rest of this forum, for that matter) have been a tremendous resource.
Chris -

Apparently, last year's RCA could not accept a 720p (which would have to come through DVI/HDMI). You had to set your output to a different resolution and let the TV do the scaling to 720p. That's not an issue with these sets.

If your DVD player has DVI or HDMI out, and thus can upconvert the signal, I would use HDMI for that, as well as for the Tivo. So yes, I would get a switcher. Before you do that, however, you may want to just A/B test the Tivo with component cables and HDMI by connecting both and switching inputs on the TV. If you don't see a difference (or at least enough to justify another $250), then use component and don't worry about it. But my thought, since you have a $1,000 Tivo unit and will probably spend around $3K for the TV, is that the HDMI switch won't be a dealbreaker from a pricing perspective.

I do like the look of that screen. I'm going to give it a few weeks to see if the 50" or 44" surfaces. Since the 61" is already out, and I spoke to a retailer who expects the smaller sets this month, I'm holding off for a little bit before I "settle" on the 162. But at least I've seen the 162 to know that I like RCA's sets.

#13 ·
Great advice. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully. This is part of what makes this site so great.

Thanks again.

#14 ·
Quote:
Great advice. Thank you so much for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully. This is part of what makes this site so great.

Thanks again.
Your welcome.:) You may want to search around a little an solicit some opinions from others around here - I am at the low end of the knowledge spectrum at this place. I just know what looks good to me.:)

#15 ·
I am especially appreciative of your factual information regarding specific inputs, their appropriate uses, workarounds, and specifics regarding the RCA sets in particular. Sure, I could have blown 5 hours wading through pages and pages of forum posts and out-of-date PDFs, but you were kind enough to take the time to answer my questions.

I totally agree that no one should buy a television of any kind, let alone a DLP, based on someone else's opinion. It is for that reason that I'll be heading to one of the 5 Best Buys in my area to take a look-see at the RCAs compared to the samsung 63s and 85. (The pedestal doesn't work for me either)

What you have provided is a possible alternative to the 74s (for which I'm tired of waiting), the Tosh (and the ridiculous side speakers), the Mits (and the ridiculous price tag and glare screen), and the Panny (again with the speakers....don't they realize we use RECEIVERS????).

#16 ·
Knuck,

I see you're up here in Canada as well............knowing this, I wouldn't count on the 74 series until next spring (yeah you heard me right). Looks like people are thinking likely a late November, December time frame for US release. Unfortunately, it seems like Canada is about 3-4 months behind US releases (I haven't even seen a Kirk yet!!)

I was like you, eagerly anticipating the 74.......well, it doesn't seem like it's gonna happen. And yes, it seems Samsung in their infinite wisdom watered down the 74, basically a HLN engine with a HD2+ chip in it.

Something that you may want to look for is the LG DLP's (this is actually something that WE get before the yankees). It's table top, HD2+, 7 segment CW, has a DVI and 2 component inputs, along with a VGA input. Basically the 74 series without a HDMI input (as far as I can tell). Futureshop the carries the 52" it for 4499, I believe there's also a 44"

Have fun shopping

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by av_canuck
Knuck,

Something that you may want to look for is the LG DLP's (this is actually something that WE get before the yankees). It's table top, HD2+, 7 segment CW, has a DVI and 2 component inputs, along with a VGA input. Basically the 74 series without a HDMI input (as far as I can tell). Futureshop the carries the 52" it for 4499, I believe there's also a 44"

Have fun shopping
You Canadians are lucky as hell. I would jump all over the LG. I think the HD2 is a nice looking set - the 2+ must be great. Also a very sharp looking set, and much better pricing than the Samsung's.

Nov/December is a best case for the 74's in the U.S. I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw the 74's at all.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tjk
Nov/December is a best case for the 74's in the U.S. I wouldn't be surprised if we never saw the 74's at all.
I checked with Magnolia this evening. Their computer has been updated in the past few days to show actual numbers of HLP5674 sets arriving and an MSRP. A few days ago all that the computer indicated was that they were "expected" in November.

For what it's worth they expect 25 HLP567 sets to be in their warehouse for Northern California November 1st. They expect an additional 10 sets to arrive November 8th. Magnolia shows the MSRP to be $4,099.

Time will tell shortly. :)

As far as I know the new RCA DLP sets and the HLPxx74 sets both appear to be plugging the HD2+ chip into last year's light engine. Samsung is claiming some new color processing for the HLPxx74 sets. I'm not sure what RCA has done and it will be a long time before anyone gets a chance to compare them side by side.

So far the Samsung sets seem to have the best track record for use with a HTPC. I'm hooked on using my PC to store and play DVD's. :rolleyes:

If it weren't for the computer thing I would be very tempted by the Mitsubishi. The Panasonic would work with a PC well, but my wive will not allow any elephant ears in our living-room. :D

#20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gsiokis
HTWaits,

Do you know FtLee well enought to PM him and get any updated information?

Gus
I did that about a week ago. He is probably working on his new basement home theater and hasn't been checking his personal messages.

#21 ·
FWIW, Soundwaves in Cincinnati has a 44" LG in stock for ~2800 and can sell me a 52" for ~3200. I didn't get the model numbers, but they did say they were both HD2+... The 44" LG DLP definitely looked crisper and more colorful than the LG LCD it was sitting next to. However, I still think the Samsung 85 looks better.

Personally, I'm going to wait to see the RCA HD61LPW163 before I make a decision.

#23 ·
Sounds like TVA has now confirmed what Tweeter has been reporting. The 5674 will be out the first week or week and a half of Nov. I've heard an MSRP of $4099 or $4199, can't remember.

Does anybody have an idea of what it will likely go for after a month or two? Percentage below should be fine and within the AVS rules. Also, since BB and CC won't be selling them does anybody have any thoughts on how to get Tweeter to price match? I think most B&M won't match online prices even if TVA offers a good one.

Here's to hoping the pq on the 74 will be as good as we have been hoping for the last 6 months. It certainly has the best exterior case IMO.

#26 ·
No I sold hi-end A/V gear in the past. I've had much better equiptment than you in the past so it's not my P is bigger than yours. I'm sick of Samsung and their marketing BS. Promise the moon deliver the... oh wait, they still haven't delivered anything yet.

Keep waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.