AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any information on upcoming DLP designs (not just the chip, but the complete imaging system)?

Are there any color wheel segment or speed choices being made in order to remove the remaining rainbow effects that some of us experience?

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Reductionin rainbows is mostly due to the fact that the newer 16x9 PJ's are LOW OUTPUT, and the eye's 'persistence effect' is of a longer time frame(the human eye's persistence due to low light entering the visual system)... so rainbows are harder to see. The 6 segment Color wheels do definitely help, but are not solely responsible for low rainbow effects.

Th PWM characteristic of the single wheel design -is- the entire situation by witch the 'visual mechanism' is engaged, on single chip machines, So it stands incredibly low odds of ever disappearing completely.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Ken, I always thought the eye's persistence *increased* (time wise) due to a brighter light entering the eye, not lower. If someone hits you with a flash bulb in a dark room, that "blue dot" will hang around for quite awhile (persist). I think the faster color wheel is reducing if not completely eliminating the rainbow effect. Once the cone rods in the eye are stimulated by a certain freq. of light it takes a moment for that nerve to "reset" and I think all individuals have different reaction times to this , that is why some see rainbow and others do not, IMHO.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
My understanding is that the persistence, or actual activity, is chemically fired..and that chemical loss at higher excitation levels (high light) causes lower persistence times. The chemicals release to the firing nerons is only at a specific speed, thus, perstence varies according to load. Longer at low light..shorter at high light. Levels are different for each set of eyes, thus sensitivity variation between different people and groups.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.