AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After rearranging our living room for a third time since we moved into our house 2 months ago, I have finally decided on the basic arrangement. I also finally chose and purchased the rear speakers I want (RTi A1) to fill out my 5.1 system. Now the dilemma. My setup consists of a pair of RTi8's for my mains, a CSI3 for center channel, and the new RTi A1's for rears. The rear wall consists of two walk-ways on the left and right for entrance to the kitchen/dining area. These openings make rear placement a little difficult. I've linked to a layout I created with as much detail as I could put together. Any help from the many 'philes smarter than I would be greatly appreciated.

My next question would be, based on the option I go with, in what direction do I actually want to aim the rear speakers for optimal surround sound?

*NOTE: After drawing up the diagram and selecting the on-wall mounts, I noticed that there may actually be a third option in all of this. I could potentially mount the RR on the right side of the return air vent. Doing this would put the distance between the rear speakers at 104" with an angle in relation to the listening position of 92 degrees. (I really hope my math is right in all this!!!) If the mounting brackets allow for this to be done, I think this option, (Option C) will probably be my best bet.

Thanks in advance!

-Korleone

Room Layout

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only option for side mount that we have would be to mount them from the ceiling. Would this be adequate?

If yes, would one of the options listed work well for a 7.1 setup?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, if I were to ceiling mount the side surrounds at what distance from the listening position would I mount them?

thanks again

-Korleone

·
Premium Member
14,195 Posts
 http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_e...omlayout2.html

As in the above diagram, in a 5.1 system, the side surrounds should be placed at the sides, 90 to 110 degrees to the listening position, and aimed directly at it. If you mount them up high, angle them down at the LP also.

You don't want to aim the speakers at the front wall as this would "bounce" the sound off the front wall, which would tend to pull the sonic image of the surround sound forward. You want the sonic image to be beside or slightly behind you. When movies are "mixed", the recording engineers assume this kind of playback speaker placement.

Craig

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the reply!

I think since it is an option, and the wife said she'd allow it, I'm going to side mount the speakers on the ceiling per the proper configuration standards. But how far out to each side of the LP would I need to mount them?

Going with this I think I would still also like to mount a set of rear speakers for a full 7.1 system. Does mounting these on the back wall allow for enough space between the speakers and the LP for proper sound?

Thanks again for all your help!

-Korleone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts