AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am wondering, especially with the 3 day weekend, if you feed a 1080i HD signal through a transcoder what would be the equivalent PC resolution? I'm guessing 1920x1080.

The reason I am wondering is that people like LiOn have mentioned that HD through the transcoder into the AE100 is really good. So if I can approximate that on the HTPC side then it should be somewhat close resolution wise (at least in theory).

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
1080i.

The transcoder does not modify the resolution, just how the picpture is transmitted (from Y Pb Pr to R G B H V.)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so the transcoder simply changes the way the color information is presented, thanks.

So I just tried 1920x1080 interlaced with the help of powerstrip. I had to set the monitor to "default monitor" for it to work but when I changed the resolution to either 1920x1080i derived or standard (powerstrip preconfigs) all I got was a garbled mess on the screen.

Any help is much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a Radeon LE under XP with the 6071 drivers, actually no I did not reboot because Powerstrip informed me something along the lines that the driver accepted the resolution.

I'll try that in a few, thanks.

edit: did a search and found that there used to be issues with interlaced resolutions under XP with the Radeon series. Then I did a search for 6071 & interlaced and found nothing so I'm hoping/assuming that these drivers have taken care of this...?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
A search should turn up more and I'm not sure that many people are using the 6071 driver. There is an issue with interlaced resolutions and it showing up half-height, but that isn't what you are getting?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I am getting garble but it is in a somewhat orderly diagonal fashion.

I now have my HTPC hooked up to my 21" monitor upstairs. 1080p looks freaking incredible but I doubt the AE100 will sync with that.

From the search the interlace problems seem to stem from XP. I do not mind going back to Win9x if that will cure the problem. OTOH I do have a Geforce 3 based computer that I could try 1080i on first to see if it is even worth the effort.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
The problem is with the video drivers, not powerstrip. It has been a while since the Radeon drivers have supported interlaced resolutions if I recall correctly. You can get more information on this in the following threads:

1080i Output From HTPC?
Custom resolution guide for HDTV/HTPC

This should help.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
BTW the GF3 with the latest drivers doesn't seem to like interlaced resolutions either. Going to restore a WinME image and see if I have any luck there with interlaced...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before I reloaded WinME I decided to see if the AE100 would recognize 1920x1080P, low and behold it does! You cannot read text for crap but at least it works with one little exception. I'm thinking this has to do with powerstrips front/back porch settings, but the lower 1/8th of the screen of my desktop is chopped off even after I adjust the picture through the AE100. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the particulars of adding a custom resolution through Powerstrip. BTW the AE100 recognizes 1080p as WXGA.

I did manage to display 1080i (recognized as HDTV60) through the AE100. The desktop is sized correctly but as predicted by Karnis and Namlemez the overlay is snookered.

While 1080p does look good on the AE100 but I think feeding the native resolution still looks better so I won't be reloading WinME today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.