AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 1096 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yup. While I only need two (PS5 and Xbox Series X) I'd rather have all of them (not counting the lame duck front port). Because for sure something will come along that will need another 48Gbps port.
Yeah I am feeling the same way. I'm looking to get an avr this year. If it does turn out the new models only have 1 48Gbps in/out port, I think instead I'll buy the Denon x3600h, wait it out a few years, and try my luck with eARC.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just last week Denon assured me that they are announcing a new 2020 line of AVR's with HDMI 2.1 very VERY soon. Sooner than you think is what they said. I can't presume what their definition of soon is but I do intend to get another AVR this year with HDMI 2.1 for it's gaming features.

I guess they can 'announced' a range, everyone from Sherwood to Denon, Yamaha to Sony could potentially announce whatever they want...

What we need is a release date and full specs - followed up by actual delivery.

BUT I sincerely doubt anyone, even the manufacturer,s have a clue when any of that will happen!
A majority of factories will have been closed, may still be closed... all due to Covid19.
Even if the AVR factories aren't shut, their component suppliers will be!

At this point, it's all marketing and conjecture.
Even if someone thinks they know the specs, they can and will change, even at this late stage.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
BUT I sincerely doubt anyone, even the manufacturer,s have a clue when any of that will happen!
A majority of factories will have been closed, may still be closed... all due to Covid19.
Even if the AVR factories aren't shut, their component suppliers will be!
Just talked with an EU D+M importer - factories are closed right now, and they do not expect newly manufactured units sooner than 1 June 2020.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Just talked with an EU D+M importer - factories are closed right now, and they do not expect newly manufactured units sooner than 1 June 2020.

And that's if the Vietnamese government doesn't close their factories for longer.
Truly uncharted waters.

·
Registered
202 Posts
nad 778

I think this receiver wil eventually support 2.1 when they release the board. You will have to pay for it. I am trying to figure out if this receiver is worth the 3000 dollar price tag. I currently have a pioneer SC 95 running 7.1.4. I have a bass x 300 emotive and a outlay 5000 5 channel amp that I will use with the nad 778 if I do decide to get it. Still not sure if it is worth it. The main selling point to me is that it supports Dirac live. I have heard nothing but good things about Dirac live.

·
Registered
402 Posts
And sometimes the issues are bizarre, in my case it was the Amazon Fire Pendant that would cause all of ARC to stop working, removing that immediately made everything work. The eARC issue people are seeing the LG C9 is audio lag.
I have some strange behaviour with my Apple TV4k, LG Oled C9 and HDMI 1.4-era Onkyo receiver connected via ARC.

The tv will refuse to see the Apple tv. It will occasionally flash popups saying that "hey, we have an Apple device on HDMI3", but when I select that input, I get "no signal". This will happen occasionally 1-2 times during movie watching.

Restarting the Apple tv or the tv does not do any good. But replugging the Apple tv -> LG c9 HDMI cable will often let the tv discover the source.

Lately, I have found that if I simply switch off the receiver, things will often work - just using the crappy loudspeakers built into the tv...

I just don't understand why the industry cannot agree on standards and test their stuff before shipping it to customers.

-k

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
I have some strange behaviour with my Apple TV4k, LG Oled C9 and HDMI 1.4-era Onkyo receiver connected via ARC.

The tv will refuse to see the Apple tv. It will occasionally flash popups saying that "hey, we have an Apple device on HDMI3", but when I select that input, I get "no signal". This will happen occasionally 1-2 times during movie watching.

Restarting the Apple tv or the tv does not do any good. But replugging the Apple tv -> LG c9 HDMI cable will often let the tv discover the source.

Lately, I have found that if I simply switch off the receiver, things will often work - just using the crappy loudspeakers built into the tv...

I just don't understand why the industry cannot agree on standards and test their stuff before shipping it to customers.

-k
They want you to buy more stuff!! So get to buying a new AVR! :D

Reactions: ataneruo

·
Registered
1,032 Posts

-k
Exactly, I have same issues. Now with 2.1 it will be 2+ years before it gets affordable in AVR's. So I'm probably going to buy a cheap interim receiver to tide me over.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Exactly, I have same issues. Now with 2.1 it will be 2+ years before it gets affordable in AVR's. So I'm probably going to buy a cheap interim receiver to tide me over.
Good deals tend to pop up now and then. Even some of the high end ones. I snagged a X6500H for 33% off. :D

But the flagship models always seem to stay crazy expensive.

·
Registered
352 Posts
They want you to buy more stuff!! So get to buying a new AVR! :D

Lol screw ‘em... I’d rather go to optical and listen to compressed tracks than give in to these games again

Do it right or no buy...

Listen, Industry lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Lol screw ‘em... I’d rather go to optical and listen to compressed tracks than give in to these games again

Do it right or no buy...

Listen, Industry lol

Is it a 2010 model TX-SR608?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Is it a 2010 model TX-SR608?

I have a 2013(?) or so , pretty old Denon 4520ci and won’t replace it for anything that won’t remain viable at least as long... that means it needs proper 48gbps full hdmi 2.1 capability on all ports

Reactions: mbroadus

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I have a 2013(?) or so , pretty old Denon 4520ci and won’t replace it for anything that won’t remain viable at least as long... that means it needs proper 48gbps full hdmi 2.1 capability on all ports

Yep I've got a 2112ci. Same deal.

I think my priority for an interim is 4K and eARC sice I'm not going to run multiple HDMI to TV from cabinet.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I think this receiver wil eventually support 2.1 when they release the board. You will have to pay for it. I am trying to figure out if this receiver is worth the 3000 dollar price tag. I currently have a pioneer SC 95 running 7.1.4. I have a bass x 300 emotive and a outlay 5000 5 channel amp that I will use with the nad 778 if I do decide to get it. Still not sure if it is worth it. The main selling point to me is that it supports Dirac live. I have heard nothing but good things about Dirac live.

I would not put your money on it.
That receiver would have been developed prior to the HDMI 2.1 specs were even close to being finalized. Many people in the industry have been mentioning that 'swap-able cards in AVR's' can only go so far and that HDMI 2.1 is such a massive swing that the silicon simply can't keep up.
You may get some HDMI 2.1 functionality, but 48Gbps through-put, I would be hesitant!
It bares to keep in mind that Lenbrook's development funding won't come close to that of Yamaha or Sound United, and now their business has taken a massive hit on a global basis they may just let their foot off the gas a bit in order to survive.

Again, unprecedented times.

·
Registered
316 Posts
We have a first picture from the HDMI section of a HDMI 2.1 AVR (from D+M).
The quality is not that great. But I guess it is good enough to see the 8K port.

Source of the picture: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3736136323095342&set=pcb.3736137536428554

Another interesting for some people that understand german:
The same dealer that posted that picture will do another livestream with Roland Krüger (Head of Technical Marketing at Sound United) where they are going about HDMI 2.1. This livestream will happen at 7 PM CET.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
We have a first picture from the HDMI section of a HDMI 2.1 AVR (from D+M)
So, from that picture we can see:
a) only one HDMI 2.1 input - HDMI IN 7 (8K)
b) two HDMI 2.1 outputs - MONITOR1 and MONITOR2 - MONITOR1 with eARC & ALLM
c) ZONE2 HDMI output is an HDMI 2.0 port (4K)
d) all HDMI outputs and inputs are HDCP 2.3

301 - 320 of 1096 Posts