AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 1325 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
So, from that picture we can see:
a) only one HDMI 2.1 input - HDMI IN 7 (8K)
b) two HDMI 2.1 outputs - MONITOR1 and MONITOR2 - MONITOR1 with eARC & ALLM
c) ZONE2 HDMI output is an HDMI 2.0 port (4K)
d) all HDMI outputs and inputs are HDCP 2.3
Is the Monitor2 output definitely HDMI2.1 8K, I don't think it says that Monitor1 is ALLM, it simply claims now ARC/eARC officially, do you think Sound United will update Denon's X8500H/X6500H & X4500H to HDCP 2.3 as it does seem possible if Yamaha could update their 2018 AVR's to HDCP 2.3 with their 2.0b chipsets.

Still disappointing that not all 7 inputs are 2.1 like Denon's previous updated flagship X7200W/WA which had all 7 inputs on the board as 2.0a then 2.0b due to the Dolby Vision/HLG support update.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Is the Monitor2 output definitely HDMI2.1 8K
The ZONE2 is marked as 4K.
The MONITOR2 is not marked as 4K, but is the same as MONITOR1 - so to me it seems that the MONITOR outputs are both 8K.

, I don't think it says that Monitor1 is ALLM, it simply claims now ARC/eARC
Probably you are right, seems that it is only "ARC/eARC" for MONITOR1.

officially, do you think Sound United will update Denon's X8500H/X6500H & X4500H to HDCP 2.3 as it does seem possible if Yamaha could update their 2018 AVR's to HDCP 2.3 with their 2.0b chipsets.
If that was possible, probably Denon would already have upgraded the 2018 models to HDCP 2.3.
But right now, the HDCP 2.3 has no impact, is not a major version upgrade as it was the jump from 1.4 to 2.2 (2.2 has broken all the 1.x, 2.0, 2.1 devices) - 2.3 will not make 2.2 obsolete (apparently).

Still disappointing that not all 7 inputs are 2.1 like Denon's previous updated flagship X7200W/WA which had all 7 inputs on the board as 2.0a then 2.0b due to the Dolby Vision/HLG support update.
Yeah..., probably only 2021/2022 will be a good year for HDMI 2.1 receiver upgrades.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I would have to assume that all HDMI inputs and at least one monitor out would have to be 2.1. Either way, for me, I have to get a new TV this year that must have 2.1 and if I can at least get 3 inputs on that, PS5, X Series and PC with one 2.1 input on the AVR my bases will be covered. But it would be short sighted to only have one 2.1 input on the AVR. All inputs need to be equal or why bother.

Are you kidding me, my Yamaha 683 only has 3 HDCP 2.2 inputs! The other two inputs are 2.0 making them useless to me and required me to buy an HDMI splitter to use all four of my devices. At the time when I bought it a couple of years ago I couldn’t even conceive of an AVR that had a few gimped outputs for no apparent reason and when it was advertised as “HDCP 2.2” I didn’t even think to check which is why I naively bought it and only discovered this while plugging in HDMI cables at home. Don’t make assumptions, you’ll only get burned.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Curious to see what Yamaha has done.
If Yamaha uses 5 or 8 port HDMI 2.1 switches for their 2020 models expect a hefty premium price for that...

This removes the temptation to buy a 2020 AVR for me. :p
Yes, it seems that 2020 is a dead (do not buy) year for 2.1 receivers. Maybe more luck next year! :)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Looks like they didn't think HDMI 2.1 switch chips were going to be available in time. Curious to see what Yamaha has done.

This removes the temptation to buy a 2020 AVR for me. :p

Best of luck to them... looks like these guys may be coming for the industry soon lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
If Yamaha uses 5 or 8 port HDMI 2.1 switches for their 2020 models expect a hefty premium price for that...
The people who need two or more 48Gbps ports are no strangers to paying premium prices. ;)

Yes, it seems that 2020 is a dead (do not buy) year for 2.1 receivers. Maybe more luck next year! :)
I can wait. My C9 has more than enough 48Gbps ports. But people with only 2 48Gbps ports on their TV, with one going to the AVR, and a couple of gaming devices would find the 2020 Denons very useful.

I wonder if the X8500H board swap will also only have one 48Gbps port. Could make some people angry if they bough an X8500H with the expectation they'd get multiple ports in the future and only ending up with one.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I wonder if the X8500H board swap will also only have one 48Gbps port. Could make some people angry if they bough an X8500H with the expectation they'd get multiple ports in the future and only ending up with one.
The picture above with the HDMI 2.1 ports is mentioned in the context of the X8500H board swap...

So, yes, it seems that the X8500H owners will get only one 2.1 input.

Denon has made no promise about the number of 2.1 ports!

·
Registered
353 Posts
The people who need two or more 48Gbps ports are no strangers to paying premium prices. ;)

I can wait. My C9 has more than enough 48Gbps ports. But people with only 2 48Gbps ports on their TV, with one going to the AVR, and a couple of gaming devices would find the 2020 Denons very useful.

Either way, you might be able to make one of those AVRs work right now by rigging wiring in certain ways or using splitters and such... but those AVRs will very quickly feel outdated and like unreliable hacks when proper AVRs with all ports supporting the standards come out soon after...

Seems like a terrible idea to buy a higher end AVR under those pretenses. Maybe a very cheap one to use for a bit, but not anything that anyone would keep for long.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Isn’t eARC a good solution for HDMI 2.1 tv owners? That way one can use recent and current D&M models as an audio only device.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Yes, same for the 8500H.
Which makes a board really unappealing if you ask me.
I wonder if this is the reason why DTS:X Pro will only be available for
people that are upgrading the board. Basically to create more arguments for people to
upgrade the HDMI-board.

From what I know so far Denon is going to release two new "HDMI 2.1 AVRs" this year.
Last years models will be continued this year. As far as I know the new models will be the successors of the X4500H and X6500H. I also heard that the successor of the X6500H will still have 11 amplified channels but it will get 13.1ch processing.

I hope Yamaha will offer more HDMI 2.1 ports. Otherwise I do not know what do to :D
I really need a new AVR this year.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Best of luck to them... looks like these guys may be coming for the industry soon lol
It's the first year of HDMI 2.1 devices with the CTS tests not all ready yet. Now if they have one 48Gbps port next year then they're going to loose a lot of upgrade sales.

So, yes, it seems that the X8500H owners will get only one 2.1 input.

Denon has made no promise about the number of 2.1 ports!
I know. But some people were justifying their X8500H purchase with the promised HDMI 2.1 upgrade. I have a feeling they were thinking all ports would have it.

I just bought a cheaper one and was going to wait it out. That backfired a bit when I found a sale on the X6500H (Atmos bug bit me hard).

Either way, you might be able to make one of those AVRs work right now by rigging wiring in certain ways or using splitters and such... but those AVRs will very quickly feel outdated and like unreliable hacks when proper AVRs with all ports supporting the standards come out soon after...

Seems like a terrible idea to buy a higher end AVR under those pretenses. Maybe a very cheap one to use for a bit, but not anything that anyone would keep for long.
Having to spend more money on external switchers should not be necessary when buying a high end AVR. When the 2020's come out there's going to be some good deals on the 2018's and even the 2019's.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Isn’t eARC a good solution for HDMI 2.1 tv owners? That way one can use recent and current D&M models as an audio only device.
Depends on the TV. The LG BX for example only has two 4K120 ports and one of them is the eARC port. That means you can only have one next gen gaming device hooked up at a time. I do not recommend swapping back and forth as I've seen too many consoles on Reddit with broken HDMI ports.

I have three 48Gbps ports usable (fourth going to the AVR) on my C9 so I'm good. Two ports is still good for a single console person. If someone gets a TV with a single 48Gbps port they'll either have to get one or go optical instead of eARC.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Depends on the TV. The LG BX for example only has two 4K120 ports and one of them is the eARC port. That means you can only have one next gen gaming device hooked up at a time. I do not recommend swapping back and forth as I've seen too many consoles on Reddit with broken HDMI ports.

I have three 48Gbps ports usable (fourth going to the AVR) on my C9 so I'm good. Two ports is still good for a single console person. If someone gets a TV with a single 48Gbps port they'll either have to get one or go optical instead of eARC.

Also, projectors have one or two ports at most , usually.

I keep my equipment in a separate closet, and would hate to have to run that many cables out to either my projector or a TV. (I used a TV in the past)

The AVR should be where all these cables terminate and switching happens.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I know. But some people were justifying their X8500H purchase with the promised HDMI 2.1 upgrade. I have a feeling they were thinking all ports would have it.

Having to spend more money on external switchers should not be necessary when buying a high end AVR. .
Yes, that is exactly what every owner was anticipating only to discover 2 years later that will disappointingly not be the case, what is most frustrating is that the forthcoming DTS:X Pro update may be associated with the 2.1 board upgrade to justify the expense, surely owners should have the opportunity to update solely to DTS:X Pro?

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Yes, same for the 8500H.
Which makes a board really unappealing if you ask me.
I wonder if this is the reason why DTS:X Pro will only be available for
people that are upgrading the board. Basically to create more arguments for people to
upgrade the HDMI-board.
Yup. The HDMI 2.1 aspect of it is anemic. DTS:X Pro would be appealing to a lot of people who want to run front wide speakers. Hopefully well see AVRs with way more channels in the next few years. I'd love to have wides and both height and ceiling speakers.

From what I know so far Denon is going to release two new "HDMI 2.1 AVRs" this year.
Last years models will be continued this year. As far as I know the new models will be the successors of the X4500H and X6500H. I also heard that the successor of the X6500H will still have 11 amplified channels but it will get 13.1ch processing.
13.2 channels would be nice. Would be able to put the fronts on external and then hook up wides as well. But I'd need all ports 48Gbps to make an upgrade tempting.

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Also, projectors have one or two ports at most , usually.

I keep my equipment in a separate closet, and would hate to have to run that many cables out to either my projector or a TV. (I used a TV in the past)

The AVR should be where all these cables terminate and switching happens.
Projectors are a different matter. Same with people who can only have one cable going to their TV. For that the one 8K port is a joke.

I remember when the TV would switch video and the AVR would switch audio. Kids these days are so spoiled. :p

·
Premium Member
2,410 Posts
Yes, that is exactly what every owner was anticipating only to discover 2 years later that will disappointingly not be the case, what is most frustrating is that the forthcoming DTS:X Pro update may be associated with the 2.1 board upgrade to justify the expense, surely owners should have the opportunity to update solely to DTS:X Pro?
If the existing hardware really can't handle it then it would be a nice bonus. If it's just a marketing ploy then that's just wrong.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Projectors are a different matter. Same with people who can only have one cable going to their TV. For that the one 8K port is a joke.

I remember when the TV would switch video and the AVR would switch audio. Kids these days are so spoiled. :p

I wouldn’t mind going back to those times, but the industry decided HDMI with HDCP was the way to go...

The other ways to send only video out are affordable and reliable. Would love the old way back lol

We’d probably use DVI for video and optical/coax for audio :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
I would not expect that many new AVRs next year.
Mainly because some manufacturers (including D+M and Yamaha) are trying
to slow things down. Just take a look at the 8500H for example. This AVR is in the market
since 2018. I personally would not expect a "true" successor for the 8500H until 2022 (I am pretty sure we are going to see a 8500H MKII with a pre-installed HDMI board).

If it goes the way we've heard, we are getting a replacement for X4500H and X6500H in 2020.
Both of them will be two years old when their successors (X4600H/X6600H?) hit the market. Which is why I think the new models will have a similar life cycle. This would mean: No new AVRs in that price range until 2022.

What could release next year? Maybe a successor of the 3600H. Sure, but how likely it is that this successor will have a better HDMI section than the existing, more expensive AVRs?

Additionally Corona might even cause manufacturers to delay their 2021 products even further.

Will be fun to see what is going to happen.

321 - 340 of 1325 Posts